Protein shake before or after workout?

Options
Just got Jillian Michaels Chocolate Shake protein mix,. It was good, like choco milk! (i used skim milk) I went for a jog and got the worst cramp! Ouch. I thought you were supposed to drink before an exercise, but the bottle said its a post drink. Anyone know what your really supposed to do?

Replies

• Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Whenever I would go for runs/jogs, I would have it afterwards. I can't eat/drink anything except water before a serious workout.
  • Todd1990
    Options
    u should aim to have high protein throughout your whole diet however with the shakes u probably want to take them after your workout as its absorbed easily and aids your recovery :)
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I always drink my protein shakes after I workout. If I need a snack before I like to have a banana or something like that.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    After.
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Definitely AFTER the workout....within 45 mins of your workout......yeah, a banana before or something very light....
  • OnCmommy
    OnCmommy Posts: 40
    Options
    Aren't her shakes yummy!
    But yes, after is best!
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Take it after you exercise, that's when your muscles will need it most for recovery. Not too mention a lot of protein right before will slow you down like you found out :)
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I have mine before and after... but I'm a dude trying to get muscle...soooo....
  • Serenity150
    Options
    I just bought this too! After is definitely best, particularly if you are weight training, but you can drink it anytime. I think two scoops with fruits/veggies is considered a meal replacement.
  • jhchurch
    jhchurch Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Dr. Whittaker of California promotes a mini-fast. The fast is from dinner to lunch the next day, and you are presummed to sleep normal hours. He recommends exercise after sleep and before the next meal. His theory is you are still burning fat or whatever (that occurs during your sleep). Although you can drink water, take medicine, etc. he does not recommend eating or having a meal replacement until noon. Most people who work will find it hard to workout before lunch.
  • alexg94
    alexg94 Posts: 44
    Options
    Also, try not to eat a lot before cause that leaves you to deal with a lot of cramps to deal with after.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Protein after a workout to promote muscle recovery! I drink my shakes with water for less calories.
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I usually do after also. Where can i buy the Jillian shakes at?
  • kimberly130
    Options
    I usually do after also. Where can i buy the Jillian shakes at?

Thanks for the input everyone!! sounds like after it is! I bought mine at the vitamin world outlet center. A 2lb container was 10 bucks! cant beat that!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I never eat or drink anything right before I workout - otherwise I will throw up.

I always drink a protein shake after I workout. Usually it takes awhile for my belly to feel comfortable with food in it - but it can handle liquids just fine.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    After is when you want to consume it.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    hmmm I think I'm going to invest in some of this stuff as well... I usually avoid protein shakes cuz they taste so gross and powdery!
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    It would depend on when your last meal was. If it has been a while, and you feel as if you'll be needing some more fuel for your workout, I would eat either a protein shake or a meal with carbs/protein about 30 mins to an hour prior to working out.

Otherwise, just have it after your workout.