First attempt at light cooking!

Options
Hi! :D

So, let me start off by saying I'm a pretty picky eater. Changing my eating habits has proved difficult because I simply don't like the taste of a lot of the things I should be eating.

I've been interested in taking the foods I *do* like, and making smart swaps in the ingredients to bring down the calorie count.

So... here's what I did today!

shrimpalfredo.jpg

(Hope the picture shows up)

Anyway, that was my dinner tonight and it was so good! I just logged it all into my Food Diary and it only came to 400 calories!!

Ingedients:
2 shrimp skewers (grilled with no butter)
Healthy Harvest whole wheat pasta
Classico Roasted Red Pepper Alfredo sauce
Bird's Eye Sweet Baby Peas

I could have added peppers or something.. but I didn't have any of that on hand.

Are you a picky eater, too? What's your favorite smart-swap recipe?

Replies

• Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    shrimpalfredo.jpg

Sounds wonderful. . I will definitely have to try that! Thanks.
  • foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    mmm that looks delicious!
  • hufflepuffin
    Options
    Doesn't look like the picture showed up in my original post. What did I do wrong? :( (I'm a Photobucket newbie as well!)
  • hufflepuffin
    Options
    Ah, I got it. ^_^ Pretty pictures FTW!
  • turtleohs
    turtleohs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    That looks really good!!
  • hufflepuffin
    Options
    Thank you! It was so tasty, too! :D
  • blnorman29
    blnorman29 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    So far, my favorite swap is using lean ground turkey in spaghetti instead of ground beef. I made it last night, and it was freakin awesome. :) That shrimp looks sooooo good, I'm drooling. Great job!
  • hufflepuffin
    Options
    So far, my favorite swap is using lean ground turkey in spaghetti instead of ground beef. I made it last night, and it was freakin awesome. :) That shrimp looks sooooo good, I'm drooling. Great job!

Thank you! Ground turkey in spaghetti sounds like a good idea, too. I'll have to try that one!
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Nice job on the swap! I love spaghetti, too. I like to swap zucchini for the meat; it cuts a lot of calories and its no fat.
  • TheOddOne
    TheOddOne Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Love this! I just bought some shrimp and was wondering what to do with it. :).I have all the other ingredients too! I am loving that I eat way more of a variety of things sincee converting to a healthy lifestyle!" I made under 100-calorie chocolate cupcakes today!!!! (http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/food-facts/5-300-calorie-delicious-desserts4.htm) the only thing I did different in the recipe was use regular applesauce (because I'm a nerd and grabbed 2 jars - one regular and one unsweetened and of course I grab the regular jar to make the cupcakes) and I topped them with a bit of powdered sugar. These were the first "sweets" I've made. So happy to find new, great, yummy recipes!!!
  • Kellyanne822
    Kellyanne822 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Oooohhh! Great job! So good for you and tasty too! I usually try to switch been with turkey, went to 1% milk from 2% milk, whole wheat instead of white...it's all about the little things. Good Luck!
  • hufflepuffin
    Options
    Love this! I just bought some shrimp and was wondering what to do with it. :).I have all the other ingredients too! I am loving that I eat way more of a variety of things sincee converting to a healthy lifestyle!" I made under 100-calorie chocolate cupcakes today!!!! (http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/food-facts/5-300-calorie-delicious-desserts4.htm) the only thing I did different in the recipe was use regular applesauce (because I'm a nerd and grabbed 2 jars - one regular and one unsweetened and of course I grab the regular jar to make the cupcakes) and I topped them with a bit of powdered sugar. These were the first "sweets" I've made. So happy to find new, great, yummy recipes!!!

Oooh, cupcakes are my favorite! I'll have to try those!