foods to eat

Options
does it really matter what foods you eat as long as you are within your alloted calories?

Replies

• Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Yes and No.

No, in that you will still lose weight as long as you stay under.

Yes, in that you will have more energy, feel generally better, and be able to eat more food, more often if you make healthy choices.

So, that said, it's totally up to you what to do.
  • dedpetal
    dedpetal Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm only gonna answer based on what I think, and I think yes, it matters. You can eat a bag of doritos, and drink some coke with it and nothing else for the day and probably be within your allotted calories, but you won't be giving your body what it needs. You would probably still lose weight, but maybe your blood pressure wouldn't be so good, or maybe your cholesterol wouldn't be. So, yeah, I think it def matters.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Yes, it matters. Every day doesn't have to be "perfect," but you want some quality food fueling your body! :)
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    i understand this and i generally eat good. i eat fruit and veggies and lean meats and protein but i also have an addiction to mcdonalds ice cream comes which are only 150 calories. So if i eat mostly healthy food but eat an ice cream cone everyday (theroertically) is this ok? as long as i do not go over my calories?
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    An occasional ice cream cone within a healthy diet should be perfectly fine :-)
  • susanofarrell
    susanofarrell Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you eat food with nutrition - you fuel your body to be able to have more energy. All calories are not equal.
  • dedpetal
    dedpetal Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    yeppers. 80% healthy foods 20% treats=success!!!
  • Barbj56
    Barbj56 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Gotta have the occasional ice cream!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    An ice cream cone is not going to kill ya.. there are lots of us on this site that have some sort of sweet item everyday..myself included :)

As long as your diet for the most part is looking ok, then yes go ahead and treat yourself. It will actually help in the long run since you wont be craving those foods and are less likely to binge on them.
  • thegymbunny
    thegymbunny Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with an ice cream cone!!

Drumstick makes some baby ones... so good lol.

It's a bit different than the old days when I could plow through a pint in a night, but still really really good.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    Yes and No.

No, in that you will still lose weight as long as you stay under.

Yes, in that you will have more energy, feel generally better, and be able to eat more food, more often if you make healthy choices.

So, that said, it's totally up to you what to do.
    this!
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does matter to a point. It depends on your goals and what not.

There is a lot of hype out there saying this is bad or that is bad. It is almost impossible to tell what is good and what is bad.

Only way to tell, do what works for you.
  • Samiwhereareyou
    Samiwhereareyou Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I just heard a story about a guy who Lived his life drinking beers and wanted to lose weight so he counted his calories. He died because of malnutrition. on weight watchers I Just counted points and would eat cheese fries and nothing else all day. I lost weight but I felt awful all the time.
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Yes. You need a variety of nutrients to be healthy.

Say your calorie need for one day is 1600 calories.

Who do you think is healthier.. Someone who eats 1600 calories of junk food (sugars, potato chips, sodas, etc..) or someone who eats the same amount of calories but eats a well balanced diet of lean protein, fresh fruits and veggies, and some grains, and very little refined sugars and junk food?

You could eat 1600 calories of junk without fresh produce and you'd get scurvy, the vitamin c deficiency.
    If you don't eat any food with iron in it, then you'd become anemic.

You get the idea.

God bless!
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    i dont eat a lot of junk. as i said i love mcdonalds ice cream cones and i eat alot of fiber one cereal bars but they have 9 grams of sugar. i am not losing any weight anymore and i am wondering why
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Yes. You need a variety of nutrients to be healthy.

Say your calorie need for one day is 1600 calories.

Who do you think is healthier.. Someone who eats 1600 calories of junk food (sugars, potato chips, sodas, etc..) or someone who eats the same amount of calories but eats a well balanced diet of lean protein, fresh fruits and veggies, and some grains, and very little refined sugars and junk food?

You could eat 1600 calories of junk without fresh produce and you'd get scurvy, the vitamin c deficiency.
    If you don't eat any food with iron in it, then you'd become anemic.

You get the idea.

God bless!

Sorry to troll this post but I have to ask.

Do you have solid proof of this?

EDIT: I think I should clarify this. I'm not saying that a diet of complete junk will help you loose weight but rather that there is no definitive answer on what are good/bad diet foods.
  • kimberly130
    Options
    For myself i found that sugar is what killed me and carbs which turn to sugar. women tend to gain in the belly and hips/thighs because of sugar. you may want to do an experiment and cut out the ice cream for 1 week and see what your weight does. or slowly eliminate it. eat only 5/wk than 4/wk and so on... If I eat ice cream every night its an instant 5lbs gained. You may also be craving the ice cream for a reason maybe your lacking something in your diet? Calcium? If its sugar, try a piece of fruit and eventually you may not want the "bad" sweets! I would also look at your exercise and what your really eating to find out if you need to change something so you continue to loose.