going to the gym twice a day

Options
hnic76
hnic76 Posts: 22 Member
this may sound very dumb, but bear with me, i know NOTHING when it comes to fitness.. is it “bad” to go to the gym twice a day occasionally? i’m just not sure if that could be considered over doing it, or it would just be beneficial.. thanks in advance!!:)

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    No, there's nothing wrong it. I do doubles almost every day...4x a week heavy lifting, 3-4x running, 2-3x crossfit.
  • Barfly57
    Barfly57 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    No, there's nothing wrong it. I do doubles almost every day...4x a week heavy lifting, 3-4x running, 2-3x crossfit.

Beast!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I don't "go to the gym" twice a day, but I do workout twice(more or less). Take today, for instance... I did a short cardio workout video at home, then walked on my treadmill 20 min. Later, I went to the gym, did some strength training and walked on the treadmill there. Then, I went to the pool and swam laps for 30min.
    A typical work day for me would be a cardio video in the morning, and then alternate afternoons with lifting and cardio, yoga, or rest.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options
    As long as it doesn't make you feel overtired, you don't over-exercise particular body parts, and it doesn't interfere with your having a well-balanced life in other ways (family, work, friends, etc.), you'll be fine. :)
  • ZandyM_E
    ZandyM_E Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's fine,I workout twice a day too,I am 258 pounds (beginner) and working out twice means I can divide my workouts instead of working out a lot in a small time frame,good luck buddy
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    It’s fine - I often do three sessions on a Tuesday and Thursday. 20 mins of watt bike, 40 mins of strength and then 30-60min run.

As long as you are feeding the exercise and not losing form it’s fine. Knock it off or reduce if/once your form starts to go or you have a bone-deep weariness that no amount of sleep counteracts.
  • Neiross1
    Neiross1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Work up to it if you want too, I go to the gym 12 to 14 times and I am a construction worker. For you I would suggest finding a program that makes you get into the habit of going to the gym so many times a week.

Best of Luck.
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Nope. Nothing wrong with it. I do it most times. I just don't hit the same muscle group twice in a day.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with it. good way to burn out fast though, especially if youre just starting.

i used to do the gym and a walk/jog later in the day. now i just do the gym anywhere from 3-5 times a week.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    hnic76 wrote: »
    this may sound very dumb, but bear with me, i know NOTHING when it comes to fitness.. is it “bad” to go to the gym twice a day occasionally? i’m just not sure if that could be considered over doing it, or it would just be beneficial.. thanks in advance!!:)

there's nothing wrong with it, but if you are new to regular exercise, i wouldn't start with 2 sessions a day.