oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    i feel i have an eating disorder.:cry:
    do you feel that way too?
    would u like to talk about it?

:heart: :heart:
  • abbylove08
    Options
    what makes you feel like you have an eating disorder?

sometimes i'm afraid people might think i do because of how much i count calories and how conscious i am about what i eat. i get lots of "looks."
  • oregonlady
    Options
    lots of things.

i think about food all the time.
  • letterfly
    letterfly Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've read alot about binge eating being an eating disorder. I definantly believe I am a binge eater. I think that what we go thru in our heads (binge eaters) is the same as someone who doesn't eat just reversed. We have a hard time controling ourselves and sometimes we need the same help as people with anerexia or bulimia.
  • TudorRose
    TudorRose Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I've had pretty much every one going. The fact I'm on this site shows I still have issues with food. I'm trying hard to combat them though- I want to be healthy in body AND mind. At least now I can say "I have issues with food" and that's it. I'm no longer surviving on 500 calories a week. I'm no longer throwing up everything that passes my lips. I'm no longer binge eating until I'm screaming in pain. And I no longer harbour ridiculous ideals of what I should be- my goal is realistic. I've still got some way to go, but I've come a long way.

I'd recommend "Wasted" by Marya Hornbacher. But not if you get competitive and you have an eating problem already- it can (and did for me) spur things on.
  • oOLiveYourLifeOo
    Options
    Like I feel that I have a problem with binge eating. At first I do great & I'm eating fine and then one little thing happens that gets me depressed and I eat out of frustration. Then I gain all the weight that I've lost back. I don't understand it though :cry:
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    I had anorexia nervosa and bulimia. Although thoughts in the back of my mind always resurface, I could never do that to myself again. I've also learned that there may be things in life I cannot control and instead of controlling it through food I have found other ways to handle it. I also realized that I will never be perfect and I like myself very much now. A million flaws and all. On my extreme end of the spectrum (starvation), it was slow suicide.

I have been recovered for 18 years now and I realize I will always have this disorder with me and so far I have been victorious against it.

We must fight the good fight.:flowerforyou:
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    lots of things.

i think about food all the time.

I often feel my obsession with food MUST be some sort of eating disorder... it affects every single aspect of my life either negative or positively depending on whether I'm doing good or bad. It's the #1 thing on my mind ALL THE TIME.
  • oregonlady
    Options
    I often feel my obsession with food MUST be some sort of eating disorder... it affects every single aspect of my life either negative or positively depending on whether I'm doing good or bad. It's the #1 thing on my mind ALL THE TIME.

yes! that is me! i'm either REALLY good or REALLY bad w/ foods/exercise.
    over the years, it's been more good than bad (hence, i've lost almost 100lbs) but i dont think my bottom line habits and choices have changed.:angry:
    matter of fact, my wedding ring will fall off my wedding finger. i simply wear it on my middle finger cause i do not have belief/faith in myself to size it smaller. :grumble: if i did resize it, it would end up being streached bigger again.:grumble:
    :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
    it dominates my thoughts and i'm not proud of that.
    :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I've had pretty much every one going. The fact I'm on this site shows I still have issues with food. I'm trying hard to combat them though- I want to be healthy in body AND mind. At least now I can say "I have issues with food" and that's it. I'm no longer surviving on 500 calories a week. I'm no longer throwing up everything that passes my lips. I'm no longer binge eating until I'm screaming in pain. And I no longer harbour ridiculous ideals of what I should be- my goal is realistic. I've still got some way to go, but I've come a long way.

I'd recommend "Wasted" by Marya Hornbacher. But not if you get competitive and you have an eating problem already- it can (and did for me) spur things on.

I could have written this............

It was recommended to me that I read The Mood Cure by Julia Ross. It has helped me a whole lot.

I belong to about 10-12 weight loss BBS...........most of them are low carb BBS, but none the less, I am obsessed........
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

yes! that is me! i'm either REALLY good or REALLY bad w/ foods/exercise.
    over the years, it's been more good than bad (hence, i've lost almost 100lbs) but i dont think my bottom line habits and choices have changed.:angry:
    matter of fact, my wedding ring will fall off my wedding finger. i simply wear it on my middle finger cause i do not have belief/faith in myself to size it smaller. :grumble: if i did resize it, it would end up being streached bigger again.:grumble:
    :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
    it dominates my thoughts and i'm not proud of that.
    :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

The first step in dealing with a problem is recognizing and admitting that problem.
    You are doing that here.

Now, face it head on.
    Take that ring. Have it resized immediately.
    Just do it. Smile as you do it. Take deep breaths.
    When you get it back and you realize it fits today, tomorrow, the day after.... it will become a little easier.
    Face your fear!!! Baby steps to get there, but FACE IT. :flowerforyou:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Lauryn has great advice there.
    By keeping your ring big it's almost like giving yourself permission to lapse back.... "so it fits"
    Same thing goes with "fat clothes"... get rid of em....

I could of written a lot of your posts....
    I have gone from completely obsessive and controled (both food and diet).
    To completely out of control (both food and exercise).
    When I am good I am FREAKISHLY good, but when I am bad....I inhale anything and everything edible!

You can do this....and HAVE done it with such an amazing loss. Embrace the fact that you ARE succeeding! :flowerforyou:
  • phed0017
    phed0017 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Oooops! I really screwed up today. Someone brought in a red velvet cake with icing and chocolate shavings and I ate 2 large pieces. Then because I screwed up sooo bad I went through McDonald's and got a fish sandwich and a small fries. Turns out if I had just stopped at the cake I would be Okay! Why do we do these things? As far as an eating disorder, I think most people here could say yes, because we have all overindulged in food. Food is only for the nourishment, health and sustainability of our body. When we use it for entertainment, and comfort it becomes something else. Sometimes I think about food a lot , sometimes I think about food all day and all night, way more than other people. Then there are those times I actually feel I have a pretty good handle on things. Today I made some mistakes. I can start over.
  • sweetcorruption
    Options
    i have an eating disorder. i have had one since i was really young. if you want to talk, my message box is always open. I am also a part of a very supporting forum, that also helps. According to my BMI though i am not technically anorexic. I definitely restrict and count calories obsessively.
  • kittynurse
    Options
    I just happened upon this thread and I'd really like to keep it going if anyone else is interested (otherwise it might just become my little public journal :blushing: )

I have an eating disorder, and I've had some version of it on and off since I was about 9 years old. It's been worse in the last year than ever before in my life, though, and I'm ready to take my life back now.

I have the same set of behaviors that several of you have described; I'm obsessively "good" with food, then go absolutely out of control. I often go through stretches of several weeks in which I eat perfectly all day long, plan a perfect dinner, then absolutely lose my mind and eat like a crazed cookie monster all evening. I purge because I don't want to gain weight, but I feel like I can't stop the bingeing. It's crazy, because I know I could if I forced myself.

I've shown that I can go without any food for many days on end, or eat effectively nothing, but if I'm allowing myself to eat at all I have a really hard time moderating. It's like eating anything at all is a trigger for bingeing.

I really feel like I can pull it together and eat healthily all day but I just fall apart at night. I'm thinking about looking into an outpatient program, not because I think I'm in danger of causing any substantial harm to myself, but simply because I think it's an extreme enough measure to really make me do it and finally get beyond this.

I work out a lot and I would love to be able to maximize my results by fixing my food problems. I finally got to a weight at which I felt like I looked great, but my bingeing in the last couple of months has piled about 7 pounds back on, and I can really see it in the mirror. I just started doing P90X to shake up my fitness regime, and I'm hoping the "badass" approach that it has will help build me up to a place where I can start eating to support my fitness rather than to punish myself or to ameliorate pain (or worse, to starve myself for those reasons).

Anyway, I just ordered both the Mood Cure and the Diet Cure, so maybe they'll have some insights that help me. For now, I'm trying to stick with the healthy P90X plan, and just keep putting one foot in front of the other and trying not to dwell on my previous failures (like eating a box of brownie mix after my extremely healthy dinner last night). Other addicts say "one day at a time"; I think I'm going to hang on to that idea. Thanks for taking the time to listen.
  • kittynurse
    Options
    Well, I guess I'll make this thread my personal journal because I'm absolutly glowing with pride right now. I did it. I broke the cycle. One day down. I went to my mom's house for dinner last night, and we always have wine when we eat, and nothing triggers late night bingeing for me like alcohol. On my way home all I wanted to do was stop & get something to sabbotage myself with, but I didn't do it. Even after getting home, I was raiding my pantry to find ANYTHING bad, and I instead decided to make the world's healthiest pizza. I took 2 sprouted corn mini tortillas and toasted them with hot sauce and reduced fat parmesan, and it was the single most fulfilling snack I've ever had. I know I'll need to start learning how to self-soothe without food, but for now I'm so pleased. I got all of the soothing with none of the self-loathing for under 150 calories. My real shining moment of glory, though, came when I went to make myself a 3rd tortilla and I stopped myself because I was already satisfied. I don't know where this strength came from. But I've got to tell you, I was way more "soothed" by the time I went to sleep after that little display than I've ever been after a binge. I guess the flawed logic with eating to self-soothe is that you (at least I) always feel terrible after it's over. I always think it wasn't worth it. Not once have I ever said, "Wow, I'm really glad I ate all of that pizza and ice cream".

Anyway, I think I might be able to at least partially credit my food and exercise journaling as well as my BodyBugg for giving me the extra push. Someone on the boards here suggested that bingers actually record everything they eat. I'm great with food journaling until it gets to the late night binge. Never even once had I journaled the entirety of a binge until this week. It was a real turning point for me to record the unfolding binge: it started with 6 oreos and that failure rapidly declined into an entire box of brownie mix. Let's go ahead and call that rock bottom.:laugh: I decided to record it all because I really did eat it, even though I was humiliated to acknowledge it. But it was the acknowledgement that was so empowering. I felt like, "Well, there it is. There's everything I ate today. Tomorrow's journal will have less brownie mix." Between the food journal and the BodyBugg showing me how easily I really could be progressing with calorie deficits, I feel like I'm on my way out of the darkness. :heart:
  • fullofjoy720
    Options
    i believe i do too, Its the whole eating calories, counting calories, looking in the mirror every five seconds kinda deal. I always feel guilty after i eat too. I kinda felt like it was normal though If i was on a diet. :ohwell:
  • twincat
    Options
    i definitely have an eating disorder....i have been battling anorexia for 15 years ( i am 29). I just joined this site to see if it could help me GAIN weight. Even only after journaling my food for few days, i see how much work i have ahead of me...

i often wonder though, do you think logging food and talking about it etc. only feeds the eating disorder?? (no matter what kind of eating disorder you have).

Any thoughts??
  • kittynurse
    Options
    i definitely have an eating disorder....i have been battling anorexia for 15 years ( i am 29). I just joined this site to see if it could help me GAIN weight. Even only after journaling my food for few days, i see how much work i have ahead of me...

i often wonder though, do you think logging food and talking about it etc. only feeds the eating disorder?? (no matter what kind of eating disorder you have).

Any thoughts??

I honestly think that if your experience journaling so far has been eye-opening to you in terms of how little you're eating, it's a really good idea to stick with it until you are consistently eating a more nutritionally normal diet. Even if you are spending a lot of energy focusing on food & eating, I think it will help you in the long run. You'll be able to get a sense of how much and how often you should be eating; once you're really comfortable with that, then you can start weaning yourself off the journaling over time. Although you have to remember that my perspective is coming from the opposite direction as yours; I have bouts of anorexia, but my primary problem is eating too much. Actually, my primary problem is that lack self worth, and that causes the rest of the problems, but you get what I mean. Take what I say with a grain of salt. Stick with it and remember you're worth the effort and you deserve to be healthy. :flowerforyou:
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I thought I would weigh in here. (Ug, I punned and didn't even mean to:blushing: )

Once again, I feel very sheepish, because 1. I hae an eating disorder and 2. I am an addiction therapist. Hows that for Ironic. One night I was running a group and one of the guys in the group said, "You've never been arrested for using have you?" I told him I hadn't. He then said, "Then what makes you think you know about addiction?" I said, "Are you looking at me?"

Seems like we might fall into two general catagories, one are those with eating disorders that are working to exert control in their lives in because they feel powerless or out of control in other areas. The rest of us eat for comfort, gratification or food is a crutch of some sort for us. Does that sound accurate, or is it too simplified?