Fruits/Veggies problem

Options
I have a problem - I am losing weight at a good rate, however I am not a fruit/veggie person (I do like green beans and corn, that's it).

So, my issue is that I am always going over my sodium count, usually by quite a bit. Anyone have any tips or tricks to counteract the amount of salt I am eating?

Replies

• lcn42781
    lcn42781 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have a problem - I am losing weight at a good rate, however I am not a fruit/veggie person (I do like green beans and corn, that's it).

So, my issue is that I am always going over my sodium count, usually by quite a bit. Anyone have any tips or tricks to counteract the amount of salt I am eating?
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Drink water water water. Sounds crazy but the more water you drink the less you will retain and it will help flush all the extra salt out of your system.:happy:
  • LindyLu
    Options
    Don't use the salt shaker for anything. Use fresh veggies and steam or eat raw without salt. If you can't live without salt buy the less sodium kind.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Try veggies with a little rice vinegar, lemon or salad dressing on them to start and if you just cant do it you need to reduce the salt and drink more water.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    While sodium is an important thing to keep regulated, I have done a fair amount of research, and everything I have come up with says that it isn't a giant problem unless you have VERY low or VERY high numbers consistantly. This all goes out the window if you have high blood pressure of course. but here is an article from webmd on it that I found that will give you some good alternatives.
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/reduce-salt-in-your-diet

Notice the almost 1000 mg swing in the amount of sodium recommended per day, that's a pretty wide margin and I only cursively check my sodium intake, because much sodium comes from prepackaged foods and foods you eat when you eat out. I.E. eat a lot of home cooked meals that are fresh ingredience and you don't need to worry as much about sodium.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Good veggie receips
    in a skillet, add 1 cup water and 1/2 tsp kosher sale
    bring to boil
    add 1 pound of fresh snipped and cleaned greenbeans
    cook until they just start to tender
    remove from heat and place greenbeans in ice water to stop cooking
    put to side.
    The same skillet-dump water and add
    2 tbls olive oil
    1 yellow onion sliced
    1/4 tsp kosher salt.
    Cook over medium heat until carmalized and nice and brown.
    When you notice the color changeing, add 1tsp fresh thyme
    Add 1/2 tsp ground pepper.
    add greenbeans and heat until the beans are hot.
    UUMMM good.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options

Are you cooking your own foods for the most part, or are you buying frozen??
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried Mrs. Dash in a long time but I understand that adds a lot of flavor with no sodium. Other seasonings are good too - chili powder, cumin, 5 pepper blend, lemon pepper, herbs. Just some thoughts! Keep up the good work!! :happy:
  • RowanC
    RowanC Posts: 38
    Options
    Suggggggggestion:

Make a nice green smoothie for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

My recipe always includes:

1 banana
    1 orange
    1 slice FRESH pineapple
    1/2 cup berries

Then add 4 or 5 leaves of Kale (ribs removed).

They shred up into nothing. You can't even tell they're in there.
    And you're getting a nice serving of fresh raw greens.
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    Smoothies are a great way to get fruits. My daughter makes hers with a yogurt or a small amount of skim milk and a fruit. My friend makes one with spinach, romaine lettuce, a banana, and something else. It's a recipe from some diet plan called "Raw Eating for Good Health" or something like that, so you'd have to look it up on google.

Me, I can't stand the textures and prefer to eat all of it raw and sliced. And try that. I have a hard time eating a whole apple, but if it's sliced and on a plate, I'll eat it while I make lunch or dinner. My family will do the same. So I slice veggies and fruits and put them on the counter while I'm making dinner. As they pass through to get a sample of what smells so good, they are likely to hang around and eat some of the healthy snacks while waiting. I leave out all the dips they are tempted to use and if it's not there, they don't seem to mind.