I am thirsty ALL. THE. TIME.

Options
I drink probably about 140 oz. of water a day, and I don't drink anything else--just water. I'm also not diabetic, my blood sugar is usually at about 70, which is my normal. But I am always freaking thirsty. Anyone else experience this problem? Any solutions?

Replies

• jbretz
    jbretz Posts: 43
    Options
    I drink that much water every day too! I'm pretty sure that the only solution is to drink water. Different people require different amounts of water to stay hydrated. I wouldn't consider the amount you drink to be excessive.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I"m thirsty all the time too, and I don't drink anything but water either. I just keep on drinking it!
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that you have a dry mouth problem where you aren't making enough saliva and you feel thirsty from that feeling?
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I used to hardly drink any water. When I started here a little over a month ago, I had to make myself drink water. Now I crave it and am thirsty more. I do drink a couple of bottles of green tea a day too though.
  • Aleciajones
    Options
    Have you just recently started drinking that much water? I remember back before increasing water; or removing 90% of liquids that arent plain water, I wouldn't drink much at all. The more water you drink it seems the more the body wants-as long as it's not making you sick, throwing your sodium levels out it probably means the body is running as it should be. Flushing out the toxins and keeping the organs running tip top.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    make sure you are in good health. being thirsty all the time, like really thirsty and out of the norm thirst is a symptom of diabetes.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that you have a dry mouth problem where you aren't making enough saliva and you feel thirsty from that feeling?

I suppose it is, my mouth always feels a little dry...
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    What is your sodium intake? If you're exceeding the 2500 recomendation you could be causing your body to feel like it's parched. OR if you take an anti-histamine or other meds daily, can cause a sensation of drymouth. Examine your daily routine regarding these things and see if anything jumps out at you! And good job for getting checked for diabetes. :)
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    make sure you are in good health. being thirsty all the time, like really thirsty and out of the norm thirst is a symptom of diabetes.

As I said in the original post, I'm not diabetic. My father has diabetes, as does my grandmother, so I get checked often. My blood sugar is actually quite good :)
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    What is your sodium intake? If you're exceeding the 2500 recomendation you could be causing your body to feel like it's parched. OR if you take an anti-histamine or other meds daily, can cause a sensation of drymouth. Examine your daily routine regarding these things and see if anything jumps out at you! And good job for getting checked for diabetes. :)

My sodium intake is usually a good bit lower than recommended, but I take Paxil daily. I'll look into the side effects and see if that could be one :) thanks!
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Take your weight, divide it by 2. This is how many ounces of water you should drink a day, minimum. I easily drink about 15 glasses of water daily. I only drink water with an occasional unsweetened iced tea (I live in the south, but cannot stand sweet tea). Looking at your signature line, 140 ounces of water is about right for you. Hope this helps!!
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    Take your weight, divide it by 2. This is how many ounces of water you should drink a day, minimum. I easily drink about 15 glasses of water daily. I only drink water with an occasional unsweetened iced tea (I live in the south, but cannot stand sweet tea). Looking at your signature line, 140 ounces of water is about right for you. Hope this helps!!

That's what I did to figure out how much I should have, lol. Thanks for the advice though. And it's okay, my momma grew up in Texas and grew up drinking unsweetened tea. She hates sweet tea lol
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    You are doing great, then ~ I wouldn't worry too much about it! Besides, the water helps me curb my cravings & a lot of times, I think I am hungry & all I need is a glass of water to make me realize I wasn't. I was just thirsty!!
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Too LITTLE sodium can cause excessive thirst too; this is especially suspect if you pee out all the water seemingly right away. I had this problem before, and taking electrolytes helped.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Bjbegley, has a doctor checked you for diabetes and if so, when was the last time you have been checked and what was your number? The reason why I'm asking you this, is because you have said that your blood sugar is usually about 70 and that's your norm. That's your normal what: Fasting number, before a meal number, after a meal number, before bedtime number or even before or after exercising number?

What's is your abnormal reading number?

A diabetic can get a 70 reading as well. They can even get a 60 reading. I'm not trying to say that you are a diabetic, a diabetic doctor is the one that can determine that. I'm in the medical field. I'm not a doctor, but I'm educated in diabetes.

Get your ketones check. You said that your father and grandmother has diabetes. They should have ketones sticks. Well, let me say, diabetics should keep ketones sticks in the house. This will help them see if they have sugar in their urine. Some diabetics don't check their blood sugar, no more than once or twice a day and they should check it at least 4 times a day. Diabetic machines suppose to let a diabetic know if they have ketones in their blood, but I'm not sure if all machines does, plus, the urine test is always good to do anyway, at least twice a month.

Check the medicine you are on side effect. It could be a reason why you are thirsty a lot and plus, it's summer. Very hot weather. The heat can be the reason.
  • idgigi
    idgigi Posts: 2
    Options
    Check your blood sugar for sugar diabetes. Also, thyroid problems will make you thirsty.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,047 Member
    Options
    I would say, in my un-medical opinion, that the Paxil or other drugs have caused dry mouth. It is a common side effect with meds.

And 140 oz at your weight is not excessive.

I drink that much on days I workout, and I weigh less.
  • Jillard95
    Jillard95 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes! I've been dieting/eating better for about a week, even gave up drinking diet pop during the week and I feel more thirsty than ever! My one theory is that your body sheds water when you are first losing weight so maybe it's my body's way of trying to replace it.
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Too LITTLE sodium can cause excessive thirst too; this is especially suspect if you pee out all the water seemingly right away. I had this problem before, and taking electrolytes helped.
    x2 Electrolytes as quick as your drinking water your flushing it back out.
  • dawnmichelea
    dawnmichelea Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    10 years ago, I decided to increase my water intake. I drank the recommended ounces for my weight. I hated it! It made me thirsty ALL the time. Couldn't run to the market, sit through church, go or do anything without my water. If I forgot my water, I was miserable. I worked in an office, and was constantly going to the bathroom. After drinking for 3 months, I had to stop the water. I went back to doing it the way I've done it my whole life......if I'm thirsty, drink! This works out so much better for my lifestyle. I'm not thirsty inconveniently.....I really don't notice it. My weight is fine, all systems good! For me, the drinking tons of water does not work!