Intermittent fasting

Options
My doctor just recommended to try this (the 16:8 version) to get things moving again. Today was my first true day.

Anyone else? I need support with this!

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    It doesn't hurt to try new things but don't become committed to it. Give it 2 or 3 days and if it drops your energy and/or makes you uncomfortably all morning consider it a failed experiment. You are either suited to skip breakfast and have bigger lunches and dinners or you are not. There is no scientifically proven benefit to weight loss.
  • tammie614
    tammie614 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i've been doing it since January and i'm the leanest I've ever been. the first two weeks were harder than preparing for finals though lol but once I got over that hump it became second nature. piggy backing off of @kommodevaran in order to lose weight you do need to be in a calorie deficit and IF is just a "cute way" of helping you do that. Good luck and remember only water (or zero calorie drinks) during your fasting period. if you feel you cant take it and have to break you fast, go ahead just make sure your calories are always intact :-)
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I found fasting very helpful in creating a calorie deficit and even more helpful in curbing uncontrolled snacking.

By effectively missing a morning breakfast and not delighting in mid morning snacks etc, I was easily able to create a 600kcal deficit without changing anything else.

It also taught me what happens when you feel hungry .. the difference between hunger and mouth hunger .. AND it taught me that I dont need to fuel imediately before a work out or after a workout

All that said, now I have reached my goal, I have dropped it like a hot potato and eat more "normally" .

• huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    My doctor just recommended to try this (the 16:8 version) to get things moving again. Today was my first true day.

There’s a group here you can check out.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I do IF along with following a Ketogenic diet. I actually find that I'm not even hungry most mornings, and honestly, if I am, I just eat. Generally for me IF is from approx. 6pm to 12noon the next day, which means that my eating window is generally from 12pm to 6pm, what equates to a 18:6 IF. I also occasionally practice extended fasting and will go 24-72 hours. For me, fasting is not as much about weight loss as it is about being in control of my body and keeping my blood sugars in check (was previously Dx w/ Metabolic Syndrome). And yes, for most, IF is about limiting your feeding window to more easily keep your calorie consumption in check, so I say, give it a try, and if it doesn't work, then you've really lost nothing but a few meals.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

I personally find following an IF style eating pattern helps me stick to my calorie goal. Keep in mind it is just an aid, so of you over eat during your eating window you will not see results. Make sure you still track your intake if you can.

Hope you find it works well for you!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    For me I just usually skip breakfast. Eat at noon, stop eating before bed (which is 10-ish).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Did you tell your Doctor you are calorie counting?
    If you did then I've no idea why he/she recommended 16:8, if you didn't then I suspect he/she thinks by skipping breakfast you will lower your calorie intake.

If skipping breakfast isn't easy for you ("I need support with this") then you are barking up the wrong tree. The eating pattern you choose should make adherence easier, not harder,
  • IzyRocket2018
    IzyRocket2018 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been doing IF (16:8) for about 2 months now, and it has honestly helped me get healthier psychologically and physically. Growing up, I was always told that breakfast was the most important meal of the day. Now, i'm sure that works for some people, but having breakfast always made me feel hungry faster and made me crave junk food a lot more.

With IF, I'm not stressed about eating a "healthy breakfast" to start my day, and don't get hungry until about 12-1pm. It's also helped me have a healthier relationship with food and learn to listen to my body signals (turns out most of the time when I feel hungry, I'm really just thirsty!). I don't crave sugar/junk food so much anymore, I feel more energetic, I can comfortably stay within my calorie goals, and it's saving me a bit of money on groceries hehe
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I realized that my grandmother had been doing a form of this for years- when we visited her we would eat breakfast- nothing for lunch(but low calorie tea or coffee etc) then eat supper and often a small amount of dessert. I would always lose weight- but this is why- not eating one of the main meals- I like to just drink coffee or tea for lunch now and it works for me because instead of dessert- I would rather have a few low calorie snacks during my tv time.