Friends and family do not know this

Options
jclawst
jclawst Posts: 45 Member
How did it come to this? That’s a bit rhetorical, because I know how it came to this. 4 years of a lifestyle that went from fairly active and healthy to one of being entirely and completely sedentary. I don’t mean, sedentary like, I watch a bit too much tv. I mean sedentary where I sat at a desk for 8-12 hours a day, and then played video games for 4-6 more hours, and didn’t leave my home office AT ALL except to open the front door for pizza or Chinese food deliveries, or attend work matters once every couple weeks where I’d always stop at the local McDonald’s.

I’m not sure exactly how I turned out this way. I began isolating myself after I moved to a small town where I didn’t know anyone and then it just kind of spiralled from there. Food was an addiction and I just was not stopping myself. In any event, I went from a chubby 220lbs around May of 2014 to 296lbs on May 8th, 2018. I am 38 years old and 5’10”.

I attended a wedding the weekend prior to May 8, 2018 and didn’t fit in anything. I had to get a new suit and special shirts that were longer than normal to cover what felt like the planetary circumference of my stomach. I felt like I should have cheese burgers and Big Macs circling me like little moons or satellites.

Some of the young kids (nephews) would poke my stomach, or slap it like some kind of floppy piñata bag - as if it would burst and candy and food would spill out. I felt humiliated and was ashamed of myself like never before. I had gone from infantry fit to completely fat.

I didn’t tell anyone at the wedding and haven’t told any of my family, but I made a personal resolution that I would lose weight, gain muscle, and get back to what I refer to as my old infantry self again.

Because I live alone in a small community in northern Canada, I’m away from my family and my friends - none of my friends or family know about what I started doing on May 8, 2018.

I started working out and really, almost obsessively monitoring my food I take assessing nutritional values and needs. I met with a trainer on May 25th that I will continue working with, and am meeting with a nutritionist next week. Between May 8, 2018 and today, June 8, 2018, I have lost 18.9lbs.

None of my friends and family will see me for at least 5 months (late September). No pictures will be posted, no mention of workouts or eating habits will be posted on my social media accounts until when ever I first visit them.

I would appreciate tips, help, and just support and encouragement from this community - maybe even make some friends who’d like to plan a kickass Dominican vacation in the new year to celebrate all of our progress and journeys. I want this transformation and the surprise it brings my friends and family to be absolutely epic.

Replies

• iqnmfp
    iqnmfp Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness. This sounds like almost exactly my story! I also gained weight over the course of 4 years..like A LOT of weight...

I'm also trying not to flaunt my weight loss in anyone's face. Don't want bad vibes! But you got this!! You're doing awesome.

Also, how did you lose almost 20 pounds in a month?? I would love some tips!
  • jclawst
    Options
    I worry about that as well. I simply started eating a lot of salads and healthy food, cut out processed foods and have been using both myfitnesspal and an app called fatsecret to montoir my eating. I am eating lots of healthy stuff and exercising moderately but am not hitting what they recommend for calorie intake each day - the problem is I’m feeling full. I’m meeting with a nutritionist on Tuesday next week to help sort this out as I’m concerned that I could slow my metabolism too much if I’m not taking in enough calories.
  • need2move2
    need2move2 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! Awesome Job! Everyone is different..so what works for one person may not work for another. You need to find what works for you.. seems you have 18 pounds.. awesome! I was FAT my entire life.. tried all diets out there... cabbage soup, slim fast, weight watchers, eating only 1 hour a day.. the list is endless. I have finally found a lifestyle that works for me. I follow a ketogenic lifestyle have been for 14 months.. I feel awesome.. my blood work is NORMAL, my croh'ns in check, sleep well, clear mind, no aches and pains and bonus have lost 45 pounds! Do some research.. see what works for you. Good luck! You can do this!
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Wow @jclawst your story was GREAT and really inspiring. This sounds like exactly what it takes to create lasting change in your life, and you sound VERY determined. Congratulations on your decision and progress so far, I feel like you are GOING to hit your goal -- and EPIC will be the word.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    You like video games? Pokemon go! probably the best game you could find! Hours of walking around in circles trying to catch that elusive [insert name of pokemon here]

Good luck
  • jclawst
    Options
    chunkytfg wrote: »
    You like video games? Pokemon go! probably the best game you could find! Hours of walking around in circles trying to catch that elusive [insert name of pokemon here]

Yeah no more video games - although I’m eagerly awaiting the last game of thrones season in terms of tv.
  • PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,850 Member
    Options
    You sound very determined. Keep it up and I'm sure your family and friends will be very surprised in 5 months. Good luck!
  • jclawst
    Options
    Thanks - I’m excited
  • jclawst
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Does anyone have some suggestions for managing cravings? So far I basically try to just chug a good 18oz of water and munch on a head of brocoli... it doesn’t work well but I feel full till the cravings come back.
  • CheezWhiz88
    CheezWhiz88 Posts: 116 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @jclawst : Your story could be mine. I moved 8 years ago to a state I knew no one. Somehow, in that time, I packed on the pounds and became a recluse, so my work only worsened my unhealthy habits.

I have started eating healthy and incorporating moderate exercise into my daily routine and immediately felt a change. I rarely hit my caloric goals, but I have found a couple things that help me and can maybe help you as well. Some healthy snacks I reach for are 8-10 raw almonds with a string cheese or tzatziki on raw veggies.

Great luck on your continued success with your weight loss!
  • jclawst
    Options
    Also cutting out the sugar and flour has helped tremendously with cravings. Best of luck!!

Will check it out and thanks - it feels like cutting out carbs from refined flour products (white bread/pasta) is causing withdrawal symptoms
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    jclawst wrote: »
    Does anyone have some suggestions for managing cravings? So far I basically try to just chug a good 18oz of water and munch on a head of brocoli... it doesn’t work well but I feel full till the cravings come back.

It's okay to have snacks, just in moderation.

Here's what I use:
    Baggies, a food scale, a knife, a sharpie, and a freezer (depending on what the food is).

For sweets (I love candy!!!) I cut up candy bars (usually in 1/2's) so that they are less than 150 calories per half. Place them in baggies with the calories written on the baggie, then freeze them. It takes a lot longer to gnaw through a frozen Snickers than a room temperature one. I eat 1/2 the calories of a whole one and get my sugar craving satisfied

Measure out and weight small snacks that you crave such as chips and cookies. Try to do ~ 150 calories per bag. Write the calories on the bag.

Bank some of your calories specifically for the snack cravings. If you make sure to have 300 calories extra, having two 150 calorie snacks is just fine.

I've learned that allowing myself to have snacks in moderation eliminated the desire to completely screw my day up by eating and entire family size bag of chips.

If I crave fast food, I get kids meals with a diet soda. Far fewer calories than the regular meals and I satisfy the craving

As you continue your journey and slowly eat better and better, the cravings shrink. They don't necessarily go away, but are greatly reduced to where the 100 calorie packs of snack foods is more than enough.

Hope this helps.
  • Neiross1
    Neiross1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    [quote="jclawst;d-10673061

I would appreciate tips, help, and just support and encouragement from this community - maybe even make some friends who’d like to plan a kickass Dominican vacation in the new year to celebrate all of our progress and journeys. I want this transformation and the surprise it brings my friends and family to be absolutely epic.

[/quote]

FItness is really just a rental sometimes you will be more or less in shape. I would suggest easying into the gym with a comprensive workout program you can follow and with good form slowly adding weight and or volume.
    It is a lot easier in my opinion to stick to something when it is fun. Take your time and you will reap the fruits of your effort.

Best of luck.

• jclawst
    Options
    Anyone reading this from BC Canada? The north in particular?
  • Hummmingbird
    Hummmingbird Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Hey! I feel the same way! I am prior service as well, though not from Canada. I also now have a desk job and it really did not help. It is time to GET GOING!!! :)
  • jclawst
    Options
    Thanks hummingbird
  • xoxorainie
    xoxorainie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I work from home and sometimes I only leave the house once a week (besides walking across the street to check the mail). :/ So I get what you're saying. Sounds like you have a great plan!