Metformin?

Options
Is anyone here taking metformin? If so, how long did it take before your body got used to it?

Replies

• ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I think it took me about a week; I really didn't have much reaction. My husband on the other hand took two or three weeks to get past the stomach discomfort.
  • guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I had one really really bad night, then was fine after. No further issues no matter what I eat.
  • KristyDonovan
    KristyDonovan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I never had any issues. I guess I got lucky? Hope your symptoms pass soon
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I took it for years. My diabetes is now in remission so I no longer need it. You build up a tolerance. If the current dosage is messing up your digestion, ask to reduce the dosage and/or split it up to take with every meal. Always take on a full stomach.

It took me a couple months to adjust both to get on it and to get off it.

Over time you can increase the dosage as your digestive system adjusts.
  • InkedInnocence
    InkedInnocence Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Took me about a month. As long as I stay away from high carb/high sugar I don't have side effects.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I've taken it for a few years and needed to go to twice a day several months ago. I notice no change whatsoever. I let the doctor and his numbers determine how much I need. But no side effects here.
  • Shawnkita1
    Shawnkita1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've taken metformin for years. But when you first get started make sure you eat something before taken it will give you extreme stomach cramp. Normally the side effects may last from one to two weeks
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I might mention that Metformin does wonders for blood sugar control. When my father had to go off it because of kidney issues he immediately had to switch to insulin. He misses his Metformin.
  • skigal303
    skigal303 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Just starting metformin. I'm glad to find this forum and see some positive things. I haven't had any side effects yet, but I'm doing a month long taper to get up to my dosage.
  • kittiebittie
    kittiebittie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I took metformin for a couple months and developed hives. That is really rare to happen, so I'm allergic to it. Insulin injections for me!
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I had stomach issues for the first week. Unfortunately, I also have them if I miss a dose. I went from twice a day down to one with diet and exercise.
  • Thickchicapes40
    Thickchicapes40 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with diabetes 3 weeks ago, it took my body about a week to get used to the metformin. It made me so sick the first week.