How do you track cals burned on a trampoline

Options
I'm only doing a few minute at a time to get used to it as I'm quite heavy so ìts hard work. Not sure how to track the calories thanks :)

Replies

• Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested in this too. When I take my daughter to the trampoline place (Jump Yard) I'm usually completely exhausted after the hours up.

Maybe I need to wear my HRM next time LOL
  • BigMamaLynsey
    BigMamaLynsey Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I looked up earlier to find any answers and found a calculator specifically for trampolining. That may be better than nothing maybe
  • krissywashington79
    krissywashington79 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Whenever I jump with the kids I just turn on my workout app on my Apple Watch so it tracks my heart rate.
  • MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've tested this on my fitbit, one reading was 28 calories in 6 minutes, another quick trampoline session was 46 calories in 10 minutes. I'm 5'3 and quite light. Burn also depends what you're doing on it lol.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I looked up earlier to find any answers and found a calculator specifically for trampolining. That may be better than nothing maybe

Better than most things. The only way to measure work done would be to hook you up to instrumentation that would measure the volume of CO2 in your exhaled breath, and the machinery would get in the way of jumps.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I would figure 5-10 cals per minute depending on how vigorous I feel the exercise is. Otherwise i'd say to use a light aerobics setting or fast walking. Keep in mind that although it feels like hard work, you're getting a lot of assistance on the jump and you may not using your whole body as much as in many other exercises.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I would figure 5-10 cals per minute depending on how vigorous I feel the exercise is. Otherwise i'd say to use a light aerobics setting or fast walking. Keep in mind that although it feels like hard work, you're getting a lot of assistance on the jump and you may not using your whole body as much as in many other exercises.

This^

When you jog (on pavement) you are propelling yourself forward. With a trampoline (I love my JumpSport) it's lower impact and you are definitely getting some assistance.
  • DTrain351
    DTrain351 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    you could wear a HR monitor and blu tooth it to your phone...use an app like underarmor, strava, etc. Fairly accurate. Or, figure your average HR X number of minutes exercised X .086 = calories burned.

Has nothing to do with "assistance"...concrete vs trampoline. Has everything to do with heart rate to figure calorie burn.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    DTrain351 wrote: »
    Has everything to do with heart rate to figure calorie burn.

Which HRM would you recommend? All of the ones on the market at the moment are based on algorithms derived from steady state aerobic range activity, so I'm curious about how that can be extrapolated to a non-aerobic range, non steady-state activity...
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Seems to me that a trampoline would be really tough to calculate calorie burn for. You can go from awkward walking to the crazy stuff you see people doing. And though I haven't been on one in many years, it would seem that form is a huge factor.

I'm one to try to find comparisons to things that are easier to calculate, and/or try to find a MET value. If you can compare to say a brisk walk, a slow jog, or anything else to find a similar effort value, that might help lead you in the right direction.