Muscle cramps

Options
Has anyone got any tips or tricks for not getting them in the middle of the night. Calf’s are bad but the big toe cramp that sticks up and won’t go down goes right up my leg and lasts for a good 10 minutes. Makes my leg sore for days.

I’m also looking for friends that are active, mine seem to have dropped off so if anyone wants to add me As well :)

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Check that you're drinking enough fluids, eating enough veggies & fruit (for the electrolytes), and aren't eating too much sodium or carbs (both tie up water). Also stretch your calves a few times a day for 30+ seconds.
    The toe pointing up is unusual. Do you have high foot arches?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I started taking a magnesium supplement at the urging of my trainer because I was having a lot of cramping issues...helped immensely. At the time I was also trying to keep sodium really low which wasn't helping matters either given my level of activity and propensity to sweat.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I started taking a magnesium supplement at the urging of my trainer because I was having a lot of cramping issues...helped immensely. At the time I was also trying to keep sodium really low which wasn't helping matters either given my level of activity and propensity to sweat.

Yep. Magnesium and potassium for me.
  • iamjoyce1
    iamjoyce1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Daily magnesium supplement and being sure to stay hydrated.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Electrolyte balance. too much water can be just as problematic as not enough.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Take a magnesium tablet at night, eat enough sodium (you can go over the daily recommended amount if you're drinking a lot of water and sweating during workouts a lot), and get your potassium through foods if possible. Bananas, potatoes, sweet potatoes, beans, etc. Potassium supplements should not be taken in high doses unless directed by a physician. That's why you can only find them in low dose strengths. Don't try and take a bunch of them. You'll get more potassium eating a potato or banana or sweet potato than through supplements. Spinach is another good source.
  • MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I get horrendous cramp in my feet and upper abs through trial and error I found I wasn't having enough salt in my diet, i prepair all meals from scratch and don't add salt to anything. Also took a soluble supplement for a while which helped.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Another suggestion for magnesium... It also helps you sleep better (win!)
  • jorichards2
    jorichards2 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My partner used to get bad cramp his physio advised him to eat a few nuts & seeds every day to increase potassium and magnesium and eat more green leafy veg. It seems to have helped him .
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Mine have eased considerably since I’ve been drinking a large glass of mineral water (SPelligrino) in the evening. I can’t tolerate magnesium supplements, unfortunately.