Raised to NOT waste food.

Options
KTaurusW0516
KTaurusW0516 Posts: 126 Member
For the longest time it was hard for me to throw food away. (Food, that can't just be wrapped up and preserved.) I would eat more, even if I was full. Me, personally, I was raised to eat everything you got. Now, I split meals and I feel full and satisfied. I don't feel sick or sleepy.

Whats your thoughts?

Replies

• km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    What food can't be wrapped up and saved for later? I always have leftovers.
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I was taught to clean your plate. And I think that crazy idea grew with me. So I find better to take less and if still hungry have more. Not what I did last night I should of thrown out leftover Chinese take out. Instead of eating it. I will learn all takes time.
  • glacierlilly1
    glacierlilly1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I was also taught to clean my plate and later I realized my parents kind of hoarded a lot of things and in addition realized that their parents (my grandparents) lived in The Great Depression - that spawns all sorts of reasons right there. Cleaning plate in modern world today is just plain stupid, it teaches you to ignore what your body is telling you...it teaches you to overeat. Here is how I look at it: If you eat it: It turns into fat when you don't need it and it turns into poop and it gets thrown away down the sewer anyway, so what's the difference!?
  • KTaurusW0516
    Options
    I was taught to clean your plate. And I think that crazy idea grew with me. So I find better to take less and if still hungry have more. Not what I did last night I should of thrown out leftover Chinese take out. Instead of eating it. I will learn all takes time.

I learned by watching both my Mom and my Grandparents.

My Mom splits all her meals when she goes out to eat.

My grandparents, 90% of the time split a meal together. (Most times, she will give him more.)
  • KTaurusW0516
    Options
    Salad ones mixed with ranch isn't good, leftover. Another example is I work as a cook for a private school for girls. If I don't finish it, I can't just wrap it and take it with me. I dump the food, same with the girls.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't like wasting food. I put less on my plate, cook smaller amounts, buy smaller amounts, eat leftovers for other meals.
    If I know a restaurant serving is very large I may arrange to split it with dh or leave enough room for it. I have never been unable to finish a salad.
  • NewChapterInMyLife
    NewChapterInMyLife Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I was also inducted into the plate cleaners club at a young age and taught not to waste. I pretty much freeze all leftovers and eventually they get eaten. The only thing i let myself throw out are old veggies and fruits...even then i pick out the bad parts and eat around it. It's also a money saver to be not wasteful. I can take it to extremes though.
  • KTaurusW0516
    Options
    2VORNT2V wrote: »
    I grew up in a tupperware container so you know that's how i live my life

Thats what I do when I'm at home. :)
  • KTaurusW0516
    Options
    I was also inducted into the plate cleaners club at a young age and taught not to waste. I pretty much freeze all leftovers and eventually they get eaten. The only thing i let myself throw out are old veggies and fruits...even then i pick out the bad parts and eat around it. It's also a money saver to be not wasteful. I can take it to extremes though.

Right, I agree. I make rows in the fridge of what needs to go first and what can wait a little longer to be eaten.
  • hud54014
    hud54014 Posts: 3,777 Member
    Options
    I have a dog, so leftovers are a thing of the past.
  • 2VORNT2V
    2VORNT2V Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    hud54014 wrote: »
    I have a dog, so leftovers are a thing of the past.

New idea for my pups name, thanks!
  • chelle2406
    chelle2406 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a lower working class family so every bite of food was a blessing. The portion I was given never seemed to be enough! I think this has made me too keen to eat whatever I have available, which has become excessive amounts since I've been married.

It's now time to start substituting the rich foods I've become accustomed to with more wholesome options in smaller amounts!
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,523 Member
    Options
    It is actually quite a task, I HATE wasting food. My change was to go shopping nightly and shop for what was needed, helps to cook smaller portions. I now throw some food away under duress. Know what you have in the fridge/cupboard and shop accordingly. Sometimes it means eating the same meal three time running but so be it. with two children at University you can't waste money.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Having worked with some missionaries in Gabon, Africa I HATE wasting food. There is pretty much nothing I can't recycle into a new meal or save for later or freeze. At the VERY worst, I compost so at least I know it's helping grow next years food.
    I always get the dressing on the side of salads, so I can take the left overs home.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    We rarely waste food. Today's leftovers are tomorrow's soups or casseroles or omelet filling. Had some leftover pork over the weekend. Made filling for Egg Rolls with it. They were great.
  • KTaurusW0516
    Options
    Having worked with some missionaries in Gabon, Africa I HATE wasting food. There is pretty much nothing I can't recycle into a new meal or save for later or freeze. At the VERY worst, I compost so at least I know it's helping grow next years food.
    I always get the dressing on the side of salads, so I can take the left overs home.

Smart idea, Thank you!