Can i wait to begin toning/strength training until i lose weight?

Options
I know by doing strictly cardio, i am losing muscle mass( at least from what i am reading)
But I am in the process of losing 30 to 40 lbs to be at my goal weight. I started walking every night about 40 something days ago. 30 to 40 mins a night. The weight is definitely coming off though I haven't weighed myself and won't until July. ( have my own reasons for not weighing frequently. This works for me and keeps me from getting scale obsessed or letting plateaus bother me)
But basically, i don't want to halt the weight loss process or slow it down significantly by doing toning exercises or strength training now.
Can it wait until I'm down to my desired weight? Can't i build back the muscle loss?
Sorry if this is ignorant. Lol. I just want the numbers to steadily go down before the sculpting phase but if I am wrong in my thinking, feel free to correct me.

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Something to think about.... Strength training builds muscle. And muscle helps you burn more calories even at rest. So, incorporating strength training earlier can help you meet your weight loss goals in the background.

My advice is do both. Focus on consistently getting cardio, but work in strength training 3 times a week if possible.
  • NewChapterInMyLife
    NewChapterInMyLife Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I understand I sound contradictory. I just want to slim down basically. Not stay the size I am with just more strength. Though I understand strength is important and would love to be strong. Even 5 lb dumbells are are heavy for me so of course i would love strength. Just want to get into smaller size. I'm sure I have jacked up thinking. Appreciate everyone's advice. Thank you.
  • NewChapterInMyLife
    Options
    So I will still lose weight with strength training? I guess i should've simply asked it that way.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    I personally am using 1 lbs dumbbells and a fitness ball. Strength training doesn't have to be complicated. Choose what works for you.
  • NewChapterInMyLife
    Options
    Definitely in a calorie deficit. Thank you for answering! Guess i need to get that new kettle bell set out of their box then.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    And commenting again to add that strength training exercises can be done without dumbbells at all. You can start by doing the exercises without weights at first or hold water bottles or canned vegetables in lieu of dumbbells at first.

Weight loss is about food really. Exercise is about fitness and gives you a boost in your overall weight loss plan as well.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! The two aren't contradictory.

Weight loss is more about calories in/calories out, and exercising is more about health and fitness (at least in my book). Working out will help you maintain the muscle you have (maybe even tone up too?) so as the fat burns off you have a nice something-something to show off underneath it all! And don't worry about gaining weight due to strength training. You'd have to be an absolute weight lifting machine and out of your mind dedicated to gain even 5 lbs of muscle in a year.

Totally up to you, no wrong or right way to go about it.
  • ArvinSloane
    ArvinSloane Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    So I will still lose weight with strength training? I guess i should've simply asked it that way.

Yep, as long as you eat in a calorie deficit, you will still lose weight.
  • NewChapterInMyLife
    Options
    Alright you guys have me sold. Appreciate.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    The amount of water weight you gain from strength training is inconsequential in the long run. You may have some water weight initially and then go up a little after your workouts, but it does drop off and if you're logging accurately and consistently you won't have anything to worry about. The benefits outweigh something as trivial as water weight. I had more to lose than you, and I started from the very beginning and have no regrets. I want to be strong and maintain muscle for health, but I also want to maximize fat loss and not look like a sack of half-melted marshmallows when I'm at my goal weight.

Yup, this describes someone I know who lost weight with no exercise.