Fat teacher wanting to lose 40 pounds...

Options
2»

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Welcome. You said that the school food is not good for you. If it's not good for you it's not good for the students either. Does your school have a dietitian?

Children's caloric needs are different from adults. School age children need between 1600 and 2000 calories a day (I have kids this age) and teens need 2000-2200, or more if they're very active. That's quite a bit more than someone who is seriously trying to lose weight. So meals that meet a kid's calorie needs could be too high for someone trying to lose weight as an adult.

Not saying school lunch is perfect. It is lacking in many ways (and that varies from district to district, and even school to school). And a school could benefit from a dietician, but most schools are lucky if they get a nurse to share with 4 or 5 other schools.
  • pazzescauna1
    pazzescauna1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hey!! Welcome to MFP! This is a great site to help you with all of your concerns, questions, and stories of your weightloss!!

A few things that might help you: The MFP application for your phone will help greatly if you have that as an accessible feature. It is very accurate!! Also, I just wanted to throw out there: Getting to the gym is the hardest part of the whole "gym" experience. Once you're there, you will workout. Get some good music on your ipod/mp3 and you'll be ready to rock out and get the shape you want!!

Best of luck to you, and remember: not everything worth working for comes easily. Stick with it! You can do it!
  • techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    Options
    I'm not a teacher, but I just wanted to jump in and say that I feel some hope for the kids reading your entries! No doubt you are all familiar with Jamie Oliver's Food revolution - and with each teacher that comes on board for healthy eating and makes a noise about the school lunch program, we give our kids a better chance at a healthy life!

Thanks teachers :-)

edited to add - by noise, I don't mean you have to go in and make a huge fuss. Heaven knows teachers are already asked to do enough outside of the curriculum! A simple dialogue in the community I think will get the parents thinking!
  • lizsquish
    Options
    I'm almost 29 and I also gained about 15 lbs in the last year. It began last August... i just stopped working out as much after I broke up with my last boyfriend... and I drank a lot more wine. I just joined this site and I am very motivated to get back out running and excercising. Best of luck to you!
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    i'm not a teacher (yet!) but i run the afterschool program in my district. my hours are a little different, but i'm still stuck in a school for the majority of the day.

i know a lot of it is easier said than done, but it's true what people say about forming habits. after about a month of preparing my food for the day, it got way easier. in the beginning, it would take up so much of my time just to get my snacks and lunch ready and i was like "how am i going to do this for the rest of my life"....but this morning i woke up late and had to rush out of the house and i threw a bunch of stuff in my bag in probably around 35 seconds, and i'm all set for the day.

it really is all about making new healthy habits, and it gets easier after you've been doing it for a while. =) GOOD LUCK!!

oh, and i've gotten used to making a little extra at dinner time so i have enough leftovers for lunch the next day. kashi makes some of the "healthier" frozen meals, although they're a little expensive. i keep a couple in the freezer for emergencies =)
  • shele75
    shele75 Posts: 29
    Options
    Hello, in the PPS spectrum of things-don't hold it against me. I need to lose 6 lbs ASAP just to fit into any pants I have within two weeks. My goal is to lose 21 lbs.
  • shele75
    Options
    Hello! I'm a 30 year old second year teacher. I have gained about 15 pounds in the last year. I'm finding it really difficult to find the motivation to work out after work. I love my job and I have been known to spend 12 hours at the school. Unfortunately, the same desire won't send me to the gym. I also have the hardest time eating well. School food is definitely out of the question, but I know that the food I bring isn't all that better. I'm sorry, but I'm not too sure anything that can be cooked in a microwave is good for me. I'm battling obesity on both sides of my family. I'm about 20 pounds overweight, and I'm scared that if I don't do something, it's going to get out of control really quickly. I'm so ashamed of myself...

Okay, enough of a pity party! I got married a year ago and have two overweight dogs :) I love traveling, the theater, and any book that I can get my hands on. I love to laugh and spending time with my amazing family.
  • shele75
    Options
    Yes, things are so difficult-pack your lunch and snacks and eat when you get the chance before you are starving from not eating all day@! You might look into used exercise equipment if there is room for it in your home or a nice walk in the evening, even if it is just 30 min a day. The gym can be a challenge to get to after a long day! Yes, leftover dinners can be great for lunch as well!

You can do this!!

Anyhow, stop with the put-downs-it does not help anything!! :)
  • shele75
    Options
    My mother is a teacher...she said the hardest part is there is always some sort of snack/cookies/donuts/bagel in the lounge!!!

Good luck on your journey!
  • shele75
    Options
    Hey! I'm also a teacher. I was a teacher when I started this journey also, which was 110ish pounds ago...so it can be done! :wink:
    Can you get up before work and exercise? I did that a lot when I was first starting out. It made it so much easier. Also, I mostly eat last night's dinner leftovers for lunch the next day. I just microwave those.

This year and subsequent years should be a lot easier, as you kind of know what you are doing now. That means you probably won't be spending that much time at school. I know how hard the first or two can be, but it does get easier.

You can do this!!!
  • shele75
    Options
    Welcome! I teach HS and I love my job, too. But, staying 12 hours at the school is not healthy for you. There comes a point when you have to realize that what doesn't get done one day can wait until the next. It's great to be devoted to your kids; I'm devoted to my students and I love them. But, I love myself as well and it took me a few years of teaching to realize that I have to put myself first sometimes.

So now, I set a time limit to stay after school and whatever doesn't get done, just waits until the next day. So the kids don't get their papers back immediately? Experience has taught me that they don't mind. I've told my students that the reason their tests weren't graded that night was because I was working out, and was working out hard. Their response? "We're proud of you Mr. Ridgeway for taking care of yourself."

I've learned not to touch school food. I just bring everything with me for the day. I eat breakfast, lunch, and snacks at school and it's all brought with me in a little cooler.

Good luck, hang in there, and put yourself and your family first!
  • shele75
    Options
    Thank is great-yes-You have to be healthy physically and emotionally which means you are one person and some things can wait and the school does not shut down, LOL.
  • shele75
    Options
    Hey! I'm also a teacher. I was a teacher when I started this journey also, which was 110ish pounds ago...so it can be done! :wink:
    Can you get up before work and exercise? I did that a lot when I was first starting out. It made it so much easier. Also, I mostly eat last night's dinner leftovers for lunch the next day. I just microwave those.

This year and subsequent years should be a lot easier, as you kind of know what you are doing now. That means you probably won't be spending that much time at school. I know how hard the first or two can be, but it does get easier.

You can do this!!!
  • shele75
    Options
    You look Amazing! 110lbs!!! WOW!!!! Congratulations!!!
  • idgigi
    idgigi Posts: 2
    Options
    A good way to start exercising: park you car the fatherest away from your place of employment or when shopping, park at the other end of the parking lot. Then, walk as briskly as your body will allow. It's just a beginning , but it also helps.
  • shele75
    Options
    I'm almost 29 and I also gained about 15 lbs in the last year. It began last August... i just stopped working out as much after I broke up with my last boyfriend... and I drank a lot more wine. I just joined this site and I am very motivated to get back out running and excercising. Best of luck to you!
  • shele75
    Options
    Yes, that is difficult-this year has been very difficult personally for me as well. It is great to move forward from chaos before it takes over...good luck!!!

Please anyone add me if you would like - as it will be a tough year and we ALL need support :).
  • shele75
    Options
    Hello, I liked your school meals posted all.
  • KeshiaV
    KeshiaV Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I too fell prey to the teacher 15-20 :( It feels so good to be doing something about it and I know you'll be successful with MFP! Good luck and try your best to avoid the bad snacks in the teacher's lounge!

ps- I'm sending you a friend request!