Calories, carbs and protein question---info please

Options
So, what if I'm under my calories but over in carbs and protein? Does it matter?

Replies

• stronglikebull
    Options
    if you're over on carbs and its the levels that mfp has set, that's a lot of damn carbs. you should cut waaaay back on that. mfp sets protein pretty low so if you're not going to reset your macros, i'd almost encourage going over protein on purpose.
  • McWilkie
    McWilkie Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks...I'm usually over protein. Today I guess i ate a little too much rice, so I was over on both
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think the default is like 55% for carbs which I feel thats way to high. I also feel the protein is too low.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    You'll have to figure out what works for your body.

My body LOVES carbs - loves them. When I lower my carbs too much I get VERY lethargic, cranky, tired and want to sleep. I don't have a sensitivity to carbs like some people do. Course, I eat a bunch of protein too.

I focus most on calories and making sure I get enough protein (especially on the days I workout). Otherwise? I'm kind of eh on the rest.

Edited to add: I went to check my percentages on here:

Carbs: 40%

Protein: 35%

Fat: 25%

That is what I have mine set at. Some may think it is too high but it works for my body. :)
  • carloP90X
    carloP90X Posts: 109
    Options
    Going over on quality protein is fine. It's the carbs that will set you back. Remember, carbs drives insulin drives fat. For effortless weight maintenance keep your carbs between 100-150g. The sweet spot for fat loss is between 50-100g. Anything below 50g and you will put your body in ketosis - only do so with Doctor supervision. Also, watch your sodium intake.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Going over on quality protein is fine. It's the carbs that will set you back. Remember, carbs drives insulin drives fat. For effortless weight maintenance keep your carbs between 100-150g. The sweet spot for fat loss is between 50-100g. Anything below 50g and you will put your body in ketosis - only do so with Doctor supervision. Also, watch your sodium intake.

I still have yet to see anyone prove this correct.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

I go over 150g of carbs each and everyday.

I am currently maintaining my weight (and have been). Everyone's body is different and responds differently to carbs, sodium, etc. My body is a carb lover and obviously functions just fine on a higher percentage of carbs.
  • McWilkie
    McWilkie Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks for responding folks!!