I'm on my way...at 73!

I've been using MFP off and on since 2011(not always honest with myself) but never kept it up and certainly didn't write here because I was never successful and ashamed to talk about it. Recently, due to health issues, I had to make some changes if I wanted to have any quality of life. Now I feel good about sharing, especially if anyone is having problems "sticking to it."

I spent some time coming up with a “healthy eating plan (HEP)” rather than a diet. I knew, from many years of yo-yo dieting, that I could lose weight, the problem was that I always gained it back when I went off the diet and ate normal food.

First of all, I had to make a mental commitment to myself. Actually, this was one of the most important aspects of my plan. I couldn’t do it for anyone else, and I had to accept that I had to eat differently than most people and not put myself down for that. I was doing this for my health. I had a major heart attack in 2009 and almost didn’t survive. It was a wake-up call and I did try to make more healthy choices, but still had the rationale that one M&M wouldn’t hurt me (but it usually ended up being 6 or 26) and that second helping of Shrimp Broccoli Fettucine Alfredo wouldn’t hurt me just this time. I told myself I didn’t need to measure my food; I’d been at this a long time and knew how much a cup or a quarter cup was. I could wing it. But as the years went by (I’m now 73), I became more and more tired, then to the point of daily exhaustion. My arthritis became worse and it was becoming more difficult to move without pain. My family genes on both sides allow for pretty long life spans, and I realized that I did not want to spend the next 20 or even 30 years barely able to get around and in constant pain. AND I wanted to see my grandchildren become the wonderful adults I know they will be.

O.K., so what I was doing was NOT working. After many long discussions with myself, I began to plan and research what would work for me. I had some success with the South Beach Diet about eight years back, but didn’t maintain it. So I based my HEP on the South Beach Diet as a starting point. I knew my plan had to be something that I enjoyed, that worked and that I could do for the rest of my life. The genes I inherited make food a different thing for me than most other people. I could eat the same thing as my husband and I would gain weight quickly, where he never gained an ounce and had to eat snacks and dessert every day to NOT lose. So life is not fair and I had to deal with it. My sister recommended MFP and I fell in live with it. It has so many food items in it with complete nutritional info on each item, including most major restaurant chain items. I knew I had to be more structured with my eating because my un-structured way of doing things wasn’t working for me. If I was serious about this I had to PLAN. I also knew if I tried to deprive myself of all the things I love (i.e. artisan breads and any kind of pasta) I would not succeed, so that had to go into the plan. I like to eat out once in a while and most “diets” make that awkward and difficult. So I had to PLAN. “My Fitness Plan” (MFP) helped me to set a realistic goal for how much I could eat in a day to lose and lose approximately 1½ pounds per week (what my doctor says is a healthy weight loss). That was hard for me because I, like many today, want instant gratification. I had to train and discipline myself to not expect this to happen overnight. My particular daily caloric goal is 1,260 calories a day.

For the first two weeks which I started on March 26th, I followed the South Beach Diet Phase One guidelines. I would suggest that anyone who wants to do this, purchase the book (written by a cardiologist) – it’s on Amazon and other major booksellers. Phase One is strict and doesn’t allow fruit, bread, pasta, sweets, etc. and lots of lean protein and green veggies, but it is intended to stop the cravings for unhealthy food items. There is a list in the book of foods to enjoy and foods to avoid. I was able to tell myself that I can do anything for two weeks. And it was worth it because I lost 12½ pounds in the first two weeks. By that time, I was highly motivated. When you start to see results, it’s easier to keep yourself motivated and happy about what you’re doing.

At the end of the first two weeks, I modified the Phase One guidelines and added in certain (low sugar fruits) and some starches, even a slice of my favorite New York Style rye bread with I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter spray or a half cup of pasta with olive oil and a pinch of parmesan cheese. MFP helps me plan my meals and keep me within my calorie goal. I usually plan the next day’s meals the day before, but it can be flexible and I can delete something I had planned and add in something else. When someone calls and says, “Hey, let’s go to lunch tomorrow,” I find out where we’re going and google (Ex.) Applebee’s menu, pick something and put it into MFP and can see exactly what the nutritional facts are – whether I need to pick something else or adjust something else in the day, or if it’s perfect! For me, this takes all the stress out of eating out.

The good thing is that I’ve been doing this for almost 11 weeks now and it’s becoming a habit. One thing I’ve learned is that I do need to measure my food if it calls for a certain amount, like a cup of Great Grains cereal, because my ballparking it caused me to eat well over two times the correct amount most of the time. As an example, my calorie intake today was 1,210 calories and consisted of:

Breakfast:
3 cups baby spinach, wilted in the microwave
½ cup Egg Beaters
¼ cups shredded mozzarella cheese (Scrambled all together, I call it Spinach Egg Scramble) Yummm.

Mid-Morning Snack:
Sargento Lite Cheese Stick

Lunch:
Italian Salad consisting of 17 slices turkey pepperoni (cut in quarters), 2 cups romaine lettuce chopped, red onion, red pepper, chopped cucumber, ¼ cup feta cheese, 8 med. sliced black olives, ½ small avocado sliced, 3 Tbsp. Ken’s Steak House Lite Northern Italian Dressing Soooooo good!

Mid-Afternoon Snack
7 whole wheat crackers, 2 tlsp. Feta cucumber dip

Dinner
3 oz. baked salmon filet (bourbon brown sugar seasoning from Schilling)
½ baked sweet potato (butter spray and tsp. of Splenda brown sugar)
8 fresh asparagus stalks Delicioso!!

Mid-Evening Snack
No Sugar Added Fudgesicle

I NEVER GET HUNGRY. Unless I forget to eat, which sometimes happens when I’m busy. I know this probably sounds like a lot of work, but it actually doesn’t take as much time as I thought it would. And…it’s sooooo worth it!

Last, I try to exercise every day – usually make it at least five days per week. I do stretches (for the arthritis), some cardio to get my heart rate up, and some light weight training. I have the weights, a bar, a bench, arm trainer, so it’s hard for me to make excuses. I also ride my bike around our complex 3 days a week and try to swim when I can. With 28 lbs. gone, I can walk normally, walk up the stairs easily (not down yet), and just feel so good all over – I can‘t even imagine how I will feel when I reach my goal. I still have 45 lbs. to go to my goal weight and then I will go on “maintenance” for the rest of my life. That means adding a few more healthy things to my plan but keeping a realistic eye on the scale to make sure it never fluctuates more than 3-4 pounds (which is normal for me.)

I hope this is an inspiration to anyone who reads this. I have a plaque on my kitchen wall that says, “Nothing tastes as good as being thin and healthy feels.”This is true.

Replies

• KTaurusW0516
    KTaurusW0516 Posts: 126 Member
    You're doing such a great job and definitely gave me a boost of motivation. :) My Great Grandma started working out at 85 Years old and she walks back and forth in her home and does squats. Last time I visited her, all she could talk about was how firm her but has become. Lol. It definitely makes me push harder with my goals and reach that level of happiness with my body. Keep up the great work!
  • alician66
    alician66 Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks, KTaurus. My butt is firmer, too! LOL But mostly, it feels good to feel good.
  • slwhitter78
    slwhitter78 Posts: 18 Member
    You are definitely an inspiration and have some great advice. I love that I read people’s post and we all have different circumstances, reasons for being on this journey yet at the same time we all share that common goal of wanting to get healthier and better ourselves. We are all sharing an experience together.

I have had 30+ surgeries and suffer chronic pain. For a long time I was not taking care of myself and enough was enough. I turn 40 in August and although I have had a tough times I also have so many things in my life to be thankful for. I decided that I was not going to let pain or anything else be an excuse to not look after myself better. I downloaded the app and promised myself that I was going to make a change.

I am only a newbie but I am atleast on the journey. The exercise part is probably the hardest for me because my pain is definitely exasperated with physical activity. So far I have been sticking to brisk walks and since I live near the beach doing walking on the soft sand. I am going to try do some swimming and yoga. It’s been a long time since I really have done much physical activity but I am trying to retrain my brain that some pain is ok and a sign that I am making my body stronger. I will see as I go what exercise works for me but I am definitely not going to be able to do anything high impact like running etc.

I am still learning when it comes to the eating side of things.You have given some great tips so I will definitely be taking your advice on board.

Anyway I want to say thanks for sharing with us. It’s really appreciated.

Oh.... I hope my butt also gets firmer as well lol.

Sam
  • KTaurusW0516
    KTaurusW0516 Posts: 126 Member
    You are definitely an inspiration and have some great advice. I love that I read people’s post and we all have different circumstances, reasons for being on this journey yet at the same time we all share that common goal of wanting to get healthier and better ourselves. We are all sharing an experience together.

I have had 30+ surgeries and suffer chronic pain. For a long time I was not taking care of myself and enough was enough. I turn 40 in August and although I have had a tough times I also have so many things in my life to be thankful for. I decided that I was not going to let pain or anything else be an excuse to not look after myself better. I downloaded the app and promised myself that I was going to make a change.

I am only a newbie but I am atleast on the journey. The exercise part is probably the hardest for me because my pain is definitely exasperated with physical activity. So far I have been sticking to brisk walks and since I live near the beach doing walking on the soft sand. I am going to try do some swimming and yoga. It’s been a long time since I really have done much physical activity but I am trying to retrain my brain that some pain is ok and a sign that I am making my body stronger. I will see as I go what exercise works for me but I am definitely not going to be able to do anything high impact like running etc.

I am still learning when it comes to the eating side of things.You have given some great tips so I will definitely be taking your advice on board.

Anyway I want to say thanks for sharing with us. It’s really appreciated.

Oh.... I hope my butt also gets firmer as well lol.

Sam

Idk, if this will help. However, my Mom 40 too. She hurt her back 6 years ago, she was getting into a hot tub and the steps were extra slippery and it messed something up bad. Walking hurts for her but, the one exercise her and me both love doing is Zumba. We might not be pros at dancing but, it’s fun and you don’t really know you’re working out. Yoga is one of my favorite workouts too.

Good Luck!

• dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    you are doing a great job and look brilliant. I'm 70 but had a nightmare with health issues this year so have gained some, its hard getting back to it
  • alician66
    alician66 Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I'm glad I was able to encourage some of you also. We are ALL on this journey together and I'm glad to meet you all. :):):)