Refeeds with success during weight loss?

Options
Hi All! I was hoping to hear some people’s experiences/successes with refeeds?

I stay around 1,485 calories 120 carbs, 120 protein, and 45 grams a fat during the week, however on the weekends with family get together it’s really hard to stay at those numbers! I’ve read on Lyle McDonald’s theories & it sounds like it can be pretty successful to help in losing fat/weight?

I was thinking eating right below or at maintainance on saturdays?

I work out 4-5 times a week doing weight lifting & cardio! I also stay very active at work being a hairstylist!

Please share experiences! Thank you!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Eating at maintenance one day a week won’t hurt your goals, it will just slow your weekly weight loss some. Sounds like a good plan.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I have been really working consistently trying to lose weight since January. I haven't been doing scheduled refeeds, but more trying to eat at a calorie deficit consistently. I just read about refeeding in December so I hadn't tried it before, but I was considering it now that I was really trying to lose weight.

So I noticed about every 2-3 weeks or so, I'd get SUPER starvingly hungry (more than usual), and my weight loss would sort of stall. So when that happened, I just let myself have 1-4 refeed days (basically until I don't feel starved anymore), eating lots of carbs and higher calorie levels. I still kept to nutritious carbs rather than cake or cookies - so like potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc...

And then I go back to the previous lower calorie eating after the refeed. So far, it really does seem like I might gain a pound during refeeds (possibly since I do a few days), but I notice that my weight will start dropping more quickly again, like it was before it stalled, so at least in my case, it really does seem to facilitate my weight loss rather than slow it down. And I stop feeling so starved, so it's been great for helping me succeed at the diet, too.

I have lost about 25 pounds since January, so a little more than a pound a week, on average - seems like a good rate, so I have been very happy with the concept of refeeding.
  • tremmax
    tremmax Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I am interested to try this as I have been consistently at a deficit for a while now and the scales just aren’t budging. I have been really tight with my logging so am interested to see others experience. Scared to eat at maintenance though as I think seeing the scales go up, could be really demotivating. Was starving yesterday on 1300 calories and I am normally ok on that amount. Went to bed feeling really hungry.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I usually keep my calories/carbs low to moderate during the week, then eat more on weekends. This has helped with adherence and boosting my lifting workouts, not sure if I am lean enough to experience any true refeed effects but it definitely helps me stick to it. As long as your refeeds don't get out of control and cancel out your deficit.