Sore hips from running?

Options
NadNight
NadNight Posts: 794 Member
When I run I get an achey pain in the crease between my leg and hips at the front that lasts for a few days. I don't run very far and mix up jogging with some walking but have to stop before I'm tired because of this pain. I think it must be something to do with the way I run (I don't have that much knowledge on running but I thought something like stride length or posture could be doing it? Maybe a weakness in my hips? Or simply that it's a reasonably new form of exercise)

I was wondering if anyone has any experience or could suggest a possible cause and something I could try to stop this?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Do you stretch your hip flexors after you run?
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I do oyster exercise from pilates a few times a week and as part of warm up before a run. Has helped hip ache massively.
    Also Yeah, stretching well and foam rollering legs properly, and then some more to be sure.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis and when I first started running (early forties, really unfit) I had all sorts of weird pains. I got my gait analysis done and fitted for a decent pair of trainers (always used to just wear whatever cheapo ones I happened to buy that felt comfy, didn't think it really mattered that much, £100 on a pair of trainers? What a waste of money!!) and oh, the difference.... Didn't make me any better at running unfortunately, but sure did sort out some of the pains. This may not be the cause of your problem, but certainly worth considering!
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Do you stretch your hip flexors after you run?

I stretch them before and after but the pain starts whilst I'm running, not after
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    NadNight wrote: »
    When I run I get an achey pain in the crease between my leg and hips at the front that lasts for a few days. I don't run very far and mix up jogging with some walking but have to stop before I'm tired because of this pain. I think it must be something to do with the way I run (I don't have that much knowledge on running but I thought something like stride length or posture could be doing it? Maybe a weakness in my hips? Or simply that it's a reasonably new form of exercise)

I was wondering if anyone has any experience or could suggest a possible cause and something I could try to stop this?

I've had similar, but it seems to be strength endurance related. For me it only really kicks in on very hilly routes at about 18-20 miles.

The key is really more training, but building that up. If you're feeling a similar symptom then it may be a case of too much too soon. Do you use a structured programme at all?
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,392 Member
    Options
    I think that often anything fairly new is going to find any weakness in any muscle group used for that exercise. After all, one of the reasons for using a variety of exercises for overall fitness is to work more muscle groups.

Due to back issues, I don't run much and probably never will. I can get similar pain in that area if I run too much after too long a break. I found a couple things on the elliptical that I can do that lessen or eliminate it at times, but in the end there is no substitute for the real thing. More running will help build the muscles you use running.

As for @MeanderingMammal I'm actually surprised that you ever feel much pain being you put in so many miles. Possibly a form related issue after enough miles on the tougher routes?
  • NikNicole7
    NikNicole7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had the same exact thing happen when I started! I had to decrease the time on my running sprints and make sure I was only sprinting every other day (Iwould still walk on the off days). Thankfully the hip pain stopped and I've been steadily increasing my running time by about 10 seconds every 2 weeks.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    As for @MeanderingMammal I'm actually surprised that you ever feel much pain being you put in so many miles. Possibly a form related issue after enough miles on the tougher routes?

It's endurance related, with a lot of climb you're lifting the legs higher each step, so you get accelerated fatigue. The affected muscle is quite small, so burns out more quickly than the prime movers.

It affects me less on flatter routes. It doesn't appear on his either, so may be intensity related as I'm not going the same pace for a 50k or longer.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I've been going through this too over the past year that I have been running. I think @MeanderingMammal is right. You just need to work through it. Just don't do it to the point of injury. Listen to your body, and take it gradually.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    While there is likely to be discomfort when you start running, be a little cautious about"running through" everything. Pain in the groin, particularly if it is deep, (and maybe if it runs down the front of your thighs) is more reflective of joint pain in the hip socket. This could be minor, but it might warrant some investigation. Arthritis is pretty common. Labral tears are also fairly common. Feeling it on both sides is actually reassuring. Does it bother you doing anything other than running?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I had some hip pain when I first started running a few years ago. It was kind of more on the side, than on the front but yeah, right where my legs hit my hips. I think I started running too much too quickly (I was fit enough from biking). It took taking a few months off for it to completely go away. The next few times I've tried to run I've started off slower. Only 3 or 4 days a week, lots of walking at first, still not more than 3 miles at a time. I also stick with trail running. Running on pavement hurts my feet, knees and my hips. You also might want to look into better shoes.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i would look at your pace (too fast) and mileage(too much)
    there is going to be discomfort when you start anything new. you can consider strength training and continued flexibility and mobility training.
    to help in the long run, foam roll or a hard ball to work out the tension
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I used to get a lot of hip pain after a long run, but it was strength related and we did a lot of work to strengthen them. Clams and donkey kicks with a resistance band. The flick part of roundhouse kicks. Barbell hip thrusts. Single leg squats. They've all helped.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    When I started running I had the same problem. What worked for me is cutting the days down from 6x per week to 3, and also slowing down my pace just a bit. Just like any other workout program, your body needs time to recover, and the less experienced you are the more you need multiple recovery days every week. Even when experienced, you still need one day a week as a rest day (sometimes more depending on your workout)
  • Finafoshizzle93
    Finafoshizzle93 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Also had this when I started running. I was in too much pain to go more than 2-3 miles. I listened to my body, mixed in some walking, and did lots of good stretching and foam rolling. More importantly, I cross trained and did lots of strength training too. Now I'm running 7 miles several times/week without pain. Still stretching and doing strength training though!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's probably endurance-related. Both walking and running will work the hip flexors, so you may just need to take a day off and let them rest/recover. A little extra stretching probably isn't bad, but it sounds like you are simply asking them to do more than they are conditioned to do. As with most things, start light/easy and ramp up the volume/intensity as your body adapts.
  • jame0529
    jame0529 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This happened to me.. on and off for 10 months! Turns out I was running in bad shoes. They were new, but Under Armour shoes are NOT good for running. I had to take about 3 weeks off, and get better running shoes. I haven't had any pain since.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great stretching suggestions, needed this info!!!!!