Sugar free, literally

Options
idabug3
idabug3 Posts: 43 Member
I haven't been doing this too long (appx. 3 1/2 weeks) but I have lost about 10 lbs. However I recently realized I have finally hit the point to where I have no more sugar cravings, not only that, but I am not even tempted by sweets like I was when I began my eating program. It feels so great to have overcome that addiction. Does anyone know why or how sugar has such an affect on people? Is sugar truly addictive?

Replies

• bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    congratulations to you. Getting sugar out of the diet is a life-changer.
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I do believe sugar is very addictive. My sister is a fitness instructor in VA. She teaches weighlifting and spin. She has never weighed more than 127 lbs (except during her pregnancies). She eats healthy, she has never smoked, taken drugs, drank sodas, or anything. She is the ideal we all strive to be. But if you ask our dentist which of us is the good sister, he says its me. Why? My sister eats candy ALL DAY LONG. A few nonfat pieces every hour. Gummy worms, jelly beans, salt water taffy, etc. She hides it in her house. She has a stash in her car and in her purse. She panics without it. Needless to say, my teeth are in better shape.

This year for Lent, she tried to give up sugar. She FREAKED OUT and ate so much sugar-free diabetic stuff she was violently ill. She will tell you it is absolutely an addiction. There are books on it. TV shows have devoted hours to it. Our brains release dopamine when we have it, the same as if we had drugs. So I leave it up to you to decide, but I think it is for sure an addiction.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Sugar is specifically your brain's fuel source. That's why your tongue is trained to find it, and your brain "rewards" you (SUGAR HIGH!!!!!) for eating it. Like anything else, over indulgence can lead to problems.
  • tshahady
    tshahady Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    that's great!! I hope to do the same thing. Sugar is my achilles heel! How many grams of sugar did you have daily? I think mine is under 40 typically. I have omitted all artificial sweetners except Stevia and use that sparingly!
  • idabug3
    idabug3 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. I have to say I strongly agree because of the way I feel now. My head seems clearer and I feel better in general. My great fear is relapse!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!