Second Week of MFP

Options
My first week, I personally think, sucked. Half the week I was on a diet or good with my calories the other half I was terrible with my diet, I didn't even count my calories on the bad days. My second week is going better, personally I think its going great. I only had two bad days. Hopefully, my third week will be a perfect week. I do plan on regular exercise everyday, seven days a week. However, that will be after my job goes on break. (Three weeks left.) I'll have six to eight weeks to kick it into high gear. Right now, I'm just focusing on my diet. (Occasional workout here and there.) My favorite dish right now is banana's and strawberry's (cut up) with just a little bit of sugar on top.

Hows your progress going? Are you taking it slow or going a faster path?

Replies

• crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I know it’s been said already, but you don’t need a “perfect” week to make progress at this. You just need to be consistent and keep going. I regularly have days where I do not eat at a deficit, but I have kept at it for 8 months and have made progress like I never would have believed possible. I think it helps that I log those days where I eat at maintenance or sometimes above. That way I still feel in control of what I am doing. That control is key for me.
  • KTaurusW0516
    KTaurusW0516 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Do not even attempt "perfect". It is a mistake - you will feel like a failure. You don't need to be perfect. You need to lose weight. The easiest way is to be under your calories overall and NOT every single day and at all costs.
    Make sure you log all days including the bad days (you shouldn't label them as bad though, they are just days when you didn't eat at a deficit, that is not bad but is normal life)

I'm happy I saw this post. On my third day of my third week I went out with my friends. (Drinking.) We only do this monthly and we ate sandwiches and chips. I logged all my calories, like always. However, I started feeling like a "failure." I made myself stop because, my friends (who are smaller) were doing the same thing and it was normal to them. I'm just happy that my old drinking me would grab chocolate, cookies, or donuts. I wanted turkey, which led to sandwich material.
  • KTaurusW0516
    Options
    snemberton wrote: »
    We do not live in a perfect world, so no one can expect a perfect week. My week was pretty good until Thursday. I stayed pretty close to my goal deficit all week. Goal is 500 deficit, I am usually 500-700ish. I'm not in a hurry, and I don't like to be nitpicky about my logging, so the buffer is good.

Thursday I thought I was cooking a pretty light dinner, so I opted for a heavier lunch. Then husband decided he wanted Bonefish for dinner. Here I am with about 700 calories left for the day and going out to eat at Bonefish? Well I guess I'm having a day without a deficit! I did opt to only have half the Bang Bang Shrimp appetizer instead of the whole that I normally would have. (That's one place who can make shrimp high calorie!) I got lobster, asparagus and mashed potatoes for my meal. I had a tiny bit of pie at home too, so my 700 calories left for the day turned into me eating about 1000. Oops.

Woke up the next day and even had finally dropped the last half pound to my first 10 down!

Log every day. Good and bad. You may surprise yourself.
    snemberton wrote: »
    We do not live in a perfect world, so no one can expect a perfect week. My week was pretty good until Thursday. I stayed pretty close to my goal deficit all week. Goal is 500 deficit, I am usually 500-700ish. I'm not in a hurry, and I don't like to be nitpicky about my logging, so the buffer is good.

Thursday I thought I was cooking a pretty light dinner, so I opted for a heavier lunch. Then husband decided he wanted Bonefish for dinner. Here I am with about 700 calories left for the day and going out to eat at Bonefish? Well I guess I'm having a day without a deficit! I did opt to only have half the Bang Bang Shrimp appetizer instead of the whole that I normally would have. (That's one place who can make shrimp high calorie!) I got lobster, asparagus and mashed potatoes for my meal. I had a tiny bit of pie at home too, so my 700 calories left for the day turned into me eating about 1000. Oops.

Woke up the next day and even had finally dropped the last half pound to my first 10 down!

Log every day. Good and bad. You may surprise yourself.

That's actually how my "bad" days happen. One time I had a slightly bigger lunch. Thinking I wasn't gonna eat supper or it would be a light one. (I had to do a night shift and I sleep right before and don't eat until 2am (Breakfast.)) My Boyfriend got home from work and he wanted burgers for Supper. So, did I. I was over by 300 calories.
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Agreed with what others have said. Log, even your not so good days, it helps you keep yourself accountable.

Keep up the work you are doing and it will pay off.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    no such thing as a perfect week. just try to do better every day.

and bananas and strawberries dont need added sugar.

Its my "dessert." Its only 15 to 30 calories to add it.

I love a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg sprinkled on my bananas.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Its my "dessert." Its only 15 to 30 calories to add it. [/quote]

So I just calculated 30 calories x 365 days is about 3 pounds a year. I know right now you’re just trying to get the hang of things and get and stay in the groove, but sometimes the little things do add up. As you get into the habit of counting calories and trying to stay in a deficit be sure to log coffee milk and sugar and condiments too (ketchup for example). Good luck on your journey. You can do this!

• KTaurusW0516
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    no such thing as a perfect week. just try to do better every day.

and bananas and strawberries dont need added sugar.

Its my "dessert." Its only 15 to 30 calories to add it.

I love a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg sprinkled on my bananas.

Sounds interesting, Ill have to try that!
  • KTaurusW0516
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    Its my "dessert." Its only 15 to 30 calories to add it. [/quote]

So I just calculated 30 calories x 365 days is about 3 pounds a year. I know right now you’re just trying to get the hang of things and get and stay in the groove, but sometimes the little things do add up. As you get into the habit of counting calories and trying to stay in a deficit be sure to log coffee milk and sugar and condiments too (ketchup for example). Good luck on your journey. You can do this!

[/quote]

I only use mayo or ranch in my life. I do add both. I stopped drinking pop and coffee. (Ill only have coffee with creamer and sugar.)
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I’ve used a gram scale to weigh my tsp of butter or almond butter and it’s amazing to me how I can underestimate the calories of the high fat side stuff. Be sure to accurately log the mayo and ranch. Both are high in fat, therefore high in calories. There’s nothing wrong with eating them, just log them.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    I’ve used a gram scale to weigh my tsp of butter or almond butter and it’s amazing to me how I can underestimate the calories of the high fat side stuff. Be sure to accurately log the mayo and ranch. Both are high in fat, therefore high in calories. There’s nothing wrong with eating them, just log them.

When counting calories, the little things really do add up in calories and in macros.