CICO - just make your alcohol calories for your target
  • joewill2848
    joewill2848 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Those long islands add calories quick lol
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    How does one balance losing weight and drinking alcohol cause I love to drink

Long Island Ice Teas were my drink of choice when I was in the military!

How many per week are you talking about? When I loved to drink, I was a heavy drinker, so I want to make sure we are on the same page, cuz I'm sure there are some people here who also identify as loving to drink, but are talking about a few sips of wine here and there.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Log your drinks and stay under your calorie goal.

If you find you aren't leaving yourself enough calories to eat enough food then you have to make a choice - cut back or stay overweight.

Cocktails /mixed drinks can be the worst because of the add ins and typical serving size. Moderation, self control, and smart choices are key.
  • jorichards2
    jorichards2 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I only drink once a week and aim for no more than 500kcal on alcohol that day. I exercise lots all week to compensate and don’t eat those calories back. So over the week I don’t go over
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Protein gives you 4 calories per gram
    Carbohydrates give you 4 calories per gram
    Fats are 9 calories per gram
    Alcohol itself is 7 calories per gram.

Reference: 4y8c94qjmsze.jpg

1.5 oz or a shot of 40% (standard) alcohol equals 42.5 /43 calories just from alcohol

a 12 oz can of beer is about 2.5 oz of alcohol which is 70.8/71 calories just from alcohol

Understand that an average person will burn 100 calories just walking 2000 steps.
    (This rule isn't written in stone because the answer depends on factors such as your pace, weight, body fat percentage, and age)

Like another stated Moderation is key, just like anything in life.

Please dont do what some college age gals are notorious for which is called Drunk Axeria, IE you wont fuel your body with actual food to save up your calories to drink.
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    If you’re going to bars, maybe invite people over to your house instead and mix your own. Like someone said, the alcohol itself isn’t super high in calories (whiskey is 60-70 cal/oz), so I just do whiskey on the rocks, but you could do a whiskey sour with an ounce of whiskey, half an ounce of lemon juice and a teaspoon of simple syrup for less than a hundred calories.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Vodka, tonic with a low calorie drink mix. Just add a packet or a squeeze... bam... flavored drink!
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    JaxxieKat wrote: »
    I love to drink as well. I budget my calories for a 6oz glass of wine every evening and maybe a nice cocktail or two on Friday or Saturday.

This.
    It's all in the budgeting :smile:
    Also, I pre-log my protein and glass of wine / small beer (and my chocolate) and just fill up the rest.
  • joewill2848
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    How does one balance losing weight and drinking alcohol cause I love to drink

Long Island Ice Teas were my drink of choice when I was in the military!

How many per week are you talking about? When I loved to drink, I was a heavy drinker, so I want to make sure we are on the same page, cuz I'm sure there are some people here who also identify as loving to drink, but are talking about a few sips of wine here and there.

I really dont drink like everyday anymore, usually on Saturday nights I will have 5 or 6
  • joewill2848
    Options
    rj0150684 wrote: »
    If you’re going to bars, maybe invite people over to your house instead and mix your own. Like someone said, the alcohol itself isn’t super high in calories (whiskey is 60-70 cal/oz), so I just do whiskey on the rocks, but you could do a whiskey sour with an ounce of whiskey, half an ounce of lemon juice and a teaspoon of simple syrup for less than a hundred calories.

Oh, I have a full bar here lmao