Halo Top Rant

Options

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I used to like Halo Top until I noticed that Enlightened has 1/4 the cholesterol per serving as Halo Top (I'm watching my cholesterol). And switching over was a good thing...I like it a lot better!

It's counter intuitive, but eating cholesterol is not what raises your cholesterol; that's why eggs are back on the good list. Eating too much fat, especially saturated, is what give you high cholesterol.
  • BlessedMom70
    BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I used to like Halo Top until I noticed that Enlightened has 1/4 the cholesterol per serving as Halo Top (I'm watching my cholesterol). And switching over was a good thing...I like it a lot better!

why....?

Because my numbers came back high on a recent blood test.
  • BlessedMom70
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Enlightened *is* better than Halo Top (IMO). Especially the chocolate peanut butter! Enlightened's version is much richer and has more peanut butter in it. I still eat Halo Top on occasion, but Enlightened has become my new favorite.

The PB is my favorite!

• BlessedMom70
    edited June 2018
    Options

It's counter intuitive, but eating cholesterol is not what raises your cholesterol; that's why eggs are back on the good list. Eating too much fat, especially saturated, is what give you high cholesterol.

I’m assuming just the bad fats do that (not the good fats)? I’m still afraid to eat eggs. There seems to be a lot of controversy over whether they are safe to eat for those with high cholesterol.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    HeyJudii wrote: »
    Wow, I didn't even know they had dairy ones, since all they sell in my area are the non-dairy ones.

Okay, I'll try again. I do like the idea of sitting down with a pint and binge watching my favorite show(s). I feel just like a regular person. :DB)

It’s worth bearing in mind that it’s never gonna taste like your fancy, full fat pint. If you are looking to compare to B&J then you’re always gonna be disappointed.

“Comparison is the thief of joy” and all that.

But if you think of it as a sweet to eat whilst juggled on the sofa and watching Netflix then I like it!
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options

why....?

Because my numbers came back high on a recent blood test.

Dietary fat doesn’t affect cholesterol levels
  • Dee_D33
    Dee_D33 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Non dairy? Did you only try the ones made with coconut milk? I don’t like those ones. My favorite flavors are oatmeal cookie and mochi flavors. I always make sure to leave it sitting out so it gets soft otherwise it’s way too hard and gritty, like you mentioned. It’s definitely beats Arctic zero, I bought a pint of their chocolate peanut butter and had to microwave it and stir in stevia, sugar free chocolate syrup and PB2 to make it taste good...
  • hippysprout
    hippysprout Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    As has been said, taste is subjective. Also, not everyone is tolerant to dairy products so products without dairy are the only way they can have "ice cream". So that's probably why a lot of people can stand the stuff. Not me though. I just like eating a pint of ice cream and not breaking the calorie bank for the day. Plus, Holy protein punch, Batman! I love the oatmeal cookie flavor. @Dee_D33 I agree, Arctic Zero is trash compared to Halo Top.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    HeyJudii wrote: »
    Ugh! I don't see how people can eat that stuff. I kept reading about it on these forums. So I tried it. I tried three different flavors, trying to be fair.

To me, they all tasted the same. Like gritty sadness. Maybe it's because they are non-dairy, but I found them disgusting. There are so many really tasty low fat, low calorie dairy desserts out there I doubt I will try anything else non-dairy since I have yet to have a good experience with that nasty tasting and textured *kitten*.

yeah. tastes like cardboard.

i dont get it, either.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    Meh. I don't care for regular dairy Halo Top. It's not awful, IMO, just somehow curiously unsatisfying to me: Not worth even its meager calories. I tried multiple flavors, and finally threw out most of the last pint.

I'd rather eat equal calories of plain nonfat Greek yogurt + frozen berries + PB2 chocolate, or have a Yasso fudge or salted caramel bar, or save up the calories for real ice cream less often. But that's just me.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I personally find Enlightened way more tasty than Halo Top, but they don't have any non-dairy varieties as of now. Although they're more caloric, Luna and Larry's and So Delicious have really excellent non-dairy ice cream.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Halo Top non-dairy is nasty. Most regular flavors I like except cookies and cream.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    You speak heresies! In all seriousness, I love Halo Top, but my husband hates it. He says every flavor tastes like Play Doh to him. Enlightened is amazing. Aldi makes a great low cal ice cream, but thus far it only comes in chocolate, vanilla, and mint chocolate chip. If you want to splurge a little, the Ben & Jerry's Moophoria is amazeballs.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    you have to eat them with cookie dough and ice cream
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    im in the UK and our Tesco has recently started elling it but only have chocolate, mint, peanut butter and salted caramel.
    not keen on the chocolate as its not got that rich flavour (say like ben & jerry's)
    not tried mint
    peanutbutter ok but again lacks flavour
    however I love the salted caramel one

just wish we had more flavours to try
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    i forgot cinimon roll, thats ok too
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I would never buy the non dairy ones... or halo top for that matter. Enlightened is way better! I am fully stocked with enlightened in my freezer right now. Whole Foods and BJs have specials on them right now. $3.49 at whole foods by me, BJs has chocolate peanut butter and fudge brownie cookie dough in three packs for $10.99 and $1.50 coupon off.
  • BlessedMom70
    edited June 2018
    Options
    The worst flavor of Halo Top in my opinion, is the pancakes and waffles. Ick! I switched over to Enlightened...I haven’t come across a flavor of theirs that I don’t like, and their ice cream is much creamier.
  • BlessedMom70
    Options
    I would never buy the non dairy ones... or halo top for that matter. Enlightened is way better! I am fully stocked with enlightened in my freezer right now. Whole Foods and BJs have specials on them right now. $3.49 at whole foods by me, BJs has chocolate peanut butter and fudge brownie cookie dough in three packs for $10.99 and $1.50 coupon off.

I’m an Enlightened fan too. I have to pay $6 a pint plus shipping, as I live in the sticks. Yes, I like ice cream that much. Lol
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I like Halo Top birthday cake for a treat, but I don't think of it as an ice cream substitute. To me it's a frozen protein shake.