Low carb vegetarian

Options
Nannydoit
Nannydoit Posts: 1 Member
Hi just starting I have 20 lbs. to lose and would like to go the low carb way but I am vegetarian, not purely as will eat fish, any tips or ideas would be welcome

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Do you have medical issues that require a low carb diet? Because ALL weight loss is about maintaining a calorie deficit.

Here's a low carg\b group here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • mariekenji26
    mariekenji26 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    low carb vegetarian here, I do eat all veggies though. I just cut out breads, pasta and other things like crackers etc. feel free to add me if you like.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    In general, I personally think it's best to avoid limiting your diet any more than you have to. Losing weight comes down to calories, so if low carb vegetarian helps you get there, that's great! But if you struggle to keep your carbs low just know you don't have to.

I would think at least avoiding "treat" carbs and starchy carbs would be necessary. Good luck!
  • cynthiness17
    cynthiness17 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It can be difficult to go low carb on a plant based diet because most of the items are carbs, but you can choose the quality of the carbs that you do get - try some lower GI foods, nothing too refined, and that should bring down the carb and sugar contents considerably, without affecting your intake of fibre and vitamins & minerals :smile: Also, variety is key - eating a rainbow of foods will allow for the majority of your daily nutritional needs to be met :smiley:
  • snwww3
    snwww3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you found any delicious recipes yet? I'm also searching! I really like to make simple meals of sauteed kale or other greens, roasted veggies (brussel sprouts, broccoli, and cauliflower are my faves) with avocado oil (or any kind of oil), salt and pepper in the oven, top with a fried egg or some roasted chickpeas, and drizzle some pesto on top. I get a lot of inspiration from the minimalwellness.com blog. I'm definitely not doing keto again (just didn't agree with my body) but I would liek to lower my carb intake because it's easy to eat such a high carb diet as a vegetarian. I still eat beans and sweet potatoes quite a bit - i love them. some times i add roasted sweet potatoes to the little meal I described above. Best of luck and share any ideas with me!!