Diet and alcohol

Options

Replies

• jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I was drinking 6-8 per day for years before my LFTs crapped the bed and I decided to change my life. at first I worked a few beers Into my weekend calories and then something amazing happened... I decided I'd rather have food.
  • joewill2848
    joewill2848 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    MrsPeach66 wrote: »
    The liquor is not that high in calories. You can budget for 2-3 shots of liquor without too much problem. It's all the fruit juices and sodas that add up. Try diet sodas and those Crystal Light cocktail mixers. cf9mu72d27ot.jpg

2 or 3 shots would just get me started lol
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Yeah, alcohol adds up quickly. You may want to switch to non-sugary drinks. The other problem with drinking is the munchies - both during and then the next day.

I quit drinking, it makes weight maintenance so much easier for me. I understand that probably isn't what you are looking to do - but it certainly makes my entire life easier and better.

Good for you! I probably need to
    Quit. Definitely scale back.
    I’m relying on it too much. Summer break, 5 kids home and I’m beginning to associate it with being outside in the sun. It’s becoming more of a habit than it needs to. I need to reasses my goals and life for that matter. It’s too easy to form a habit of enjoying it. It takes the edge off but I need to find other ways. 4-8 blue moons a night is ugh not the right way. Lol. Maybe I should start an accountability group... anyone interested?

• Famof72015
    Options
    How does one balance losing weight and drinking alcohol cause I love to drink

Idk if there is a true way. I’m going to scale wayyyyyy back and either do it just Friday or Saturday night or if there is something going on that month save for that. I use to never drink them just once a month and the last 2-3 months daily
  • Famof72015
    Options
    But we can make the changes and sacrifices if we really want to. Today is a good day to change. Think about what’s important. Your health and think about all the money we save. You/we got this!
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    The mixers are what kill me. You can use diet or club soda. Did you say you drink one day/week? You can balance your calories for the week rather than by day.

I have cut way back. Partly because of the calories, also for health reasons.
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    Prelog them and workout during the day to earn them
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I learned to savor and focus on the quality of what's in front of me rather than going for volume. I have a fully stocked wet bar at home and a home brewer. I just make sure it fits in my calorie budget.
  • roderick2464
    roderick2464 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just make sure your only mixer is ice 😃😀 and stay in your limit and no carbs in spirits just cals. Miller lite not bad and on the low side
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I hear ya...I am not drinking in the week and letting myself have some over the weekend (if it fits in my calorie log)...makes me REALLY want to exercise hard those days too to give me more cals! Bottom line though, I have certainly seen how many calories I have drank without a second thought in the past...cutting back was a must for me and this big *kitten* belly hahaha
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Just make sure your only mixer is ice 😃😀 and stay in your limit and no carbs in spirits just cals. Miller lite not bad and on the low side

You can mix with whatever you like, just make sure you're accounting for the calories in your logging.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    A beer is usually about 150 calories for me give or take, so it's pretty easy (for me at least) to fit in 150 calories into my daily budget.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    It was never a problem for me......as long as I lifted weights every other day, did planks every day and ran 30 miles a week. I then slacked off my running and put 25 pounds back on. Re-started running last week. Drinking has stayed about the same though.
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Famof72015 wrote: »
    I’m relying on it too much. Summer break, 5 kids home and I’m beginning to associate it with being outside in the sun. It’s becoming more of a habit than it needs to. I need to reasses my goals and life for that matter. It’s too easy to form a habit of enjoying it. It takes the edge off but I need to find other ways. 4-8 blue moons a night is ugh not the right way. Lol. Maybe I should start an accountability group... anyone interested?

There's a great on-going monthly thread here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10670343/less-alcohol-june-2018-one-day-at-a-time/p1
    There will be a link to the new July thread at the end of this one as soon as it's created.
  • Nixonz
    Nixonz Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Tito's has no carbs and 5 ounces has around 300 calories. I can easily work this into my plan on the weekends with still getting the sought after "and was under their calorie goal"
  • Famof72015
    Options
    pismodiver wrote: »
    Famof72015 wrote: »

There's a great on-going monthly thread here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10670343/less-alcohol-june-2018-one-day-at-a-time/p1
    There will be a link to the new July thread at the end of this one as soon as it's created.

One year for me today!

Congrats!

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    MrsPeach66 wrote: »
    The liquor is not that high in calories. You can budget for 2-3 shots of liquor without too much problem. It's all the fruit juices and sodas that add up. Try diet sodas and those Crystal Light cocktail mixers. cf9mu72d27ot.jpg

2 or 3 shots would just get me started lol

Yeah, that's like 1/2 to one LIIT, depending on who's pouring.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    It is what it is, man, the booze has calories and so does your food, measure it out and stick to your goal.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking at home when I'm alone. I used to have a cocktail every night with dinner and maybe another one (or three). Then the weekends were more.

Now I only drink once or twice a week when I'm out with friends. The benefits are lower number on the scale, better general health, a fatter wallet, and a quicker buzz. I should have done this year's ago!