KETO DIET - 147g of FAT...?

Options
i'M AFRAID THAT IM CONSUMING TOO MUCH FAT...i recently switched from fmd to keto, im not even sure im doing this correctly please help? Alot of my fat intake came from eating 170g of brie cheese today...i feel awful about that.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal? And how many did you eat today?

1323 calories from fat is excessive imo, and may suggest you're lacking in protein and fibre.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Fat is high because eating too high protein will kick you out of ketosis via gluconeogenesis
  • eve2018eve
    eve2018eve Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    An occasional cheese-fest is fine as part of an overall healthy diet. Are you within your calorie goal? Are you also eating plenty of vegetables?

Where we get our fat from is very individual as we all have different satiating high fat foods that we enjoy. For example, I do vegan keto and like to get my fat from:
    Avocado
    EVOO
    Nut cheese
    Vegan mayo
    Sprouted tofu (far more fat and protein than regular tofu)

Keto can be enjoyable and practical with the right foods. Perhaps try different food combos until you find what works for you. If that means regularly eating brie then enjoy it!
  • Melissapaige1
    Melissapaige1 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice, this is all really good. I weighed myself this morning, and lost more weight! I was so scared that because of that brie I messed up my diet. I stayed within my caloric intake. I was on the fmd diet for the month of May and saw little changes, i was so reluctant to switch to a high fat low carb diet, but it seems that my body takes better to this type of diet. I'm not as hungry as i was, or as bloated.
  • agent9990320
    agent9990320 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone and a shoutout to nvmomketo, whose comments I find very helpful. i have been on modified keto for three weeks and have yet to lose a pound. My question concerns carbs. I just had a 2-egg omelette made with 1 tsp ghee, some raw organic cheddar, red bell pepper, mushrooms and 1 cup of organic tatsoi. Imagine my disappointment in seeing that the bell pepper and tatsoi added 8 g. of carbs. Since I had a cup of skim raw kefir for breakfast, I'm close to 20 g. carbs. Obviously, these are not grain carbs, but are these nutrient dense green and red veggies harming my progress?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone and a shoutout to nvmomketo, whose comments I find very helpful. i have been on modified keto for three weeks and have yet to lose a pound. My question concerns carbs. I just had a 2-egg omelette made with 1 tsp ghee, some raw organic cheddar, red bell pepper, mushrooms and 1 cup of organic tatsoi. Imagine my disappointment in seeing that the bell pepper and tatsoi added 8 g. of carbs. Since I had a cup of skim raw kefir for breakfast, I'm close to 20 g. carbs. Obviously, these are not grain carbs, but are these nutrient dense green and red veggies harming my progress?

Will they keep you from losing weight? Not if you are at or under your calorie goal.

Will they kick you out of ketosis? Maybe, I don't do keto, but I'm sure someone who does will come along and clear that up.

Regardless, one day is no big deal whatever diet you are following. Just keep learning!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I wouldn't worry about too many carbs unless it:
    1. leads to overeating - carbs can stimulate the appetite in some... Me very much included in that.
    2. affects your ketones when you NEED them to be high for a specific reason - usually medical.

Technically, a few extra carbs will not affect weight fat loss. Keeping your CI<CO is the main thing for weight loss. Keto is a tool that may make it easier to achieve that by reducing appetite (CI) or increasing CO a bit (lower inflammation, more protein and fat= thermogenic properties, better hormonal levels, etc.).

When I am losing, I find my carb sweet spot to be under 20g of carbs, but some days were 30, 40 or 50, and other days were 10g. I did not need high ketones so if I had a day involving lots of snap peas and cashews (my weaknesses) I just continued on even though I was over my 20g. No big deal, I just feel my best around that level so I try to stay below it on most days.

Especially don't worry when going a bit over in veggies. It's nutritious. There's lots of fibre. Not a problem. :)

Now, if you were going over in jelly beans, then I'd probably wonder if keto is right for you. ;)

Don't worry too much about lack of scale movement yet. If you are at an appropriate calorie deficit, you will lose fat.

The fact that you haven't lost anything yet probably just means that you have been replacing your electrolytes/sodium in a smart manner so you did not lose a bunch of water weight. KWIM? You are probably losing some fat and the scale will reflect that soon.

Have you taken "before" pictures or measurements? That often shows results even when the scale doesn't.

Otherwise, just remember that weightloss is not linear. Last year I dropped my carbs to almost nothing for a month long carnivore challenge. My calories were around 1500 so I expected good losses. I gained almost 10lbs within the first two weeks. LOL I stayed with it and then around week 5-6 I lost about 15lbs within days. The scale is weird sometimes. ;)

• brettryan807
    brettryan807 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to specifically add the keto diet to this app? Or so I just set my macros and enter my meals as I go?
  • Leeah77MFP
    Leeah77MFP Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi! That is a lot of cheese. It’s kind of a balancing act. Your diet should be around 70 to 75% fat. Or if you keto calculators online. Try looking for one of those. If you want to friend me I have an open diary and I am doing keto. I don’t log every single day like I should but you can get an idea of what I have logged. My macros are pretty darn close