Running form

Options
My husband was running behind me yesterday and noticed that I tend to sway my feet slightly outward when I run. I figured I had some form issues. I get soreness in my feet, knees, and the front inner part of my shins. I’ve run three 5Ks but am still very much a running novice. Thoughts on watching YouTube videos, checking out websites, etc to correct things? Thanks so much.

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    You might want to check out The Pose Method or Chi Running. It’s helped me to learn good form and run without issues (used to get shin splints and had a bad knee but no more) and teaches how to run with less impact on the joints. Happy running!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    cdmanney wrote: »
    My husband was running behind me yesterday and noticed that I tend to sway my feet slightly outward when I run. I figured I had some form issues. I get soreness in my feet, knees, and the front inner part of my shins. I’ve run three 5Ks but am still very much a running novice. Thoughts on watching YouTube videos, checking out websites, etc to correct things? Thanks so much.

Mine do that, my gait analysis videos are brilliant...

Did you get fit for your running shoes?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    You might also benefit from getting fitted for shoes.
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need proper shoes, and not a change in running form.
    The only thing I would suggest in terms of running form is to stand up tall, like there is a string attached to your head.
    If you are already doing this, you are good to go run
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    My husband was running behind me yesterday and noticed that I tend to sway my feet slightly outward when I run.

That's pretty common, and it's not your shoes. Try to consciously not let your feet swing outward, while running slower. If you can't prevent it, see a physical therapist to get personalized advice. :+1:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    My husband was running behind me yesterday and noticed that I tend to sway my feet slightly outward when I run.

That's pretty common, and it's not your shoes. Try to consciously not let your feet swing outward, while running slower. If you can't prevent it, see a physical therapist to get personalized advice. :+1:

It's never harmed me?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    check out workshops at local running stores or clubs. they often have events that focus on form since most of us start with room for improvement in our form
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

It's reasonably common, and not really the cause of your shin or knee pain. Essentially it's a symptom of a relative weakness in the shin muscle, in comparison to the inner calf.

Personally I'm not a fan of gait analysis, but that is one option. A motion control shoe may help, but I'd generally lean towards working on your muscular strength. It's worth a conversation with a physiotherapist, although googling the Myrtle routine might be beneficial.

• OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Don't get caught up in too much detail of exact running form. I recommend sticking to the basics.

a good neutral flexible running shoe, and pay attention to how your feet are hitting the ground.
    i don't think it matters too much weather you heel or forefoot strike, as much as striking center mass (not forward or behind the center of your weight).
    take it slow and easy until your joints/tendons/muscles develop. i think slower longer runs are best for this.
    maybe do a little trail running. that is great for all those little stabilizer muscles.

We are all different, so what may be good form for one person may not be good form for another person. It should feel natural.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    As others have said, that aspect of running form likely isn't the cause of your pain. It's more likely a lack of muscle development and/or landing your foot too far out in front of your body. Worrying about anything else at this point won't get you anywhere.

The former can be fixed with more slow and easy miles. It'll happen naturally if you keep up the running. The latter can be fixed by learning to land with your foot directly underneath your center of gravity. This helps to soften the impact to your joints and allows the big muscles in your leg to absorb much of the landing force.

There are a ton of resources out there that will show you how to do this. In most people, changing your steps per minute can act as a shorthand way of getting there. Anything over 170 SPM will put your landing zone in roughly the right place.

If you really want to change your stride to eliminate the outward swing, you'll need to develop/activate the right muscle groups. One way to practice this is to make sure you think of your stride as an athletic motion. Consider each forward stride as a bounding leap such that you need to launch yourself off your rear leg. This will cause you to purposefully drive your front leg forward instead of letting it lazily swing to the front.

One way to drill this is to march forward and to focus on bringing the knee of your forward leg up high (like a marching band leader). Make each step purposeful and hold the high knee pose for a split second so you can focus on the feeling of activating your glute as you push off the rear leg.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

It's never harmed me?

Not yet at least. In the OP's case, it would explain their inner shin and knee pain. Those areas are under more stress when the feet sway outward.
  • cdmanney
    cdmanney Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Wow! I’m learning quite a bit from all of you! Thank you for all that info. I have fairly new shoes, but I wasn’t necessarily “fit” for them like I probably should have been. My novice ol’ self was like, “Well, these feel okay I suppose.” I don’t get blisters so that’s a plus! Gosh, I have a lot to learn though. I do believe slowing my pace will be beneficial (I try to keep up with my husband, and I’m starting to see that’s not a good idea). I also think my overall strength will get better with time. It looks like I need slow it down some and be mindful of what my legs and feet are doing and how it feels when I run. I appreciate everyone’s input! :smile: