Forgetting what you've eaten

Options
jmulder3
jmulder3 Posts: 1 Member
How do you all make sure you remember what you've consumed all day long?

I was hoping there would be a checkbox or something like that so I could remember. Maybe I'm insane but I honestly forget if I eat that banana at 6am :smiley:

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Unless you ate the peel you could check your trash for the evidence.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    If I don't already have it prelogged, then I log as I prepare it. I would weigh and log a banana before I eat it.
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I keep track while I am preparing my food, if I haven't already logged it. Otherwise, I have no idea how many calories I have left for my other meals for the rest of the day. You wouldn't wildly use your debit card on a shopping spree one day, without keeping track before you spend any more!
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Pre log or as I go, the app is great for zapping bar codes so that really helps.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Options
    jmulder3 wrote: »
    How do you all make sure you remember what you've consumed all day long?

I was hoping there would be a checkbox or something like that so I could remember. Maybe I'm insane but I honestly forget if I eat that banana at 6am :smiley:

What do you mean by a checkbox? (Just wondering in case it's something that does exist under some other name, or in case is it's a concept that we could suggest something similar to, since that's what you want.)

In general, though, I agree with others: pre-log or log as you go. If I'm in a social situation where I don't want to tune people out by focusing on logging my food, I just pay attention to what I'm eating. It's much easier to remember things that you've actually mentally registered as they happen, rather things you've done on auto-pilot, like scarfing down food you're not even noticing.

I've been using MFP consistently for nearly five years. By now I can eat at a buffet or a cocktail party or an all-day family holiday of pre-meal snacks, major meal, dessert, second dessert or second go-round of main meal leftovers, etc., and still do a pretty darn good job of remembering everything I hate. It's a habit and a skill you can develop.

• SarahRishelle
    SarahRishelle Posts: 5 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I just mealprepped, then saved all the meals on the meals list so I can add them easily. In the morning I log all my meals and snacks I plan on eating throughout the day (only takes 5-10 minutes) to make sure I am gonna meet my goals. Sometimes I do it the night before. Having all the food ready and on my list makes it so much easier. Then if I decide to eat something I didn't type in this morning, I have to get out my phone and recalculate.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    The app has a reminder setting, have you seen that? It pops up if you haven't logged by a preset time.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I actually pre plan my menus the night before, write it down and if I make any changes, I correct them. I use a small cheap notebook from a drugstore.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Our phones are always with us! Start logging!
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Pre-log! Or log as I go in party situations.
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    As almost everyone said... pre-log for the day or log as I am eating :)
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Why not log it as you go. Makes it easier than logging everything once a day
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I just log as I go. That's the easiest way to remember to log.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    [quote="dsboohead;c-42133953"]Our phones are always with us! Start logging![/quote]

Not mine!!
    I don't use the app, only the website. I enter the information on a piece of paper (sometimes I keep it in my head) and later on and when I have time, it gets logged in my food diary.
    Being in maintenance is awesome.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Our phones are always with us! Start logging!

Yeah, that. As soon as you eat (insert food here) either log with your phone before you eat it or directly after.