Halo Top Rant

Options

Replies

• MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I’ve never tried the non-dairy ones. We just got them in Canada and I’m LOVING the ones I’ve tried. Caramel Macchiato, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, and Mint Chocolate Chip.

Ive got my eye on Cookies and Cream next.
  • Neiross1
    Neiross1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If you don't let it defrost it taste like garbage, You need to leave it out for 10 to 20 mins.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I tried those when I had been on MFP for a while and avoiding treats. They tasted amazing to me (although I could still taste the chemical aftertaste for all the swirls in Enlightened).

Then I had real ice cream again and yeah... not even close. My issue is that they have aftertastes, burn my mouth a little, and give me the runs. Also I've had a few Halo Top pints that just tasted straight awful.

I just have real ice cream now. So much more satisfying.
  • Michie112g
    Michie112g Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Mint Chocolate is my Favorite. Before heading out to buy you can down load coupons and end up paying $3 / $3.50
  • thynes1313
    thynes1313 Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I like quite a few but the dairy free are TERRIBLE!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I tried those when I had been on MFP for a while and avoiding treats. They tasted amazing to me (although I could still taste the chemical aftertaste for all the swirls in Enlightened).

Then I had real ice cream again and yeah... not even close. My issue is that they have aftertastes, burn my mouth a little, and give me the runs. Also I've had a few Halo Top pints that just tasted straight awful.

I just have real ice cream now. So much more satisfying.

Yeah, I tried multiple brands and flavors last summer and concluded that they just don't hit the spot.

This year I'm trying regular ice cream that comes in smaller quantities than pints, like Dove bites and bars.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan really...I suppose I could get into it if ice cream was something I frequently ate and needed to save on calories, but I only usually eat ice cream out with my kids and rarely have it in the house unless it's one of the boys' birthday.
  • Taliko
    Taliko Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I really liked oatmeal cookie and peanut butter, but the cookies and cream was sort of meh. I’m glad they finally stock it in Canada, though. :)
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    HeyJudii wrote: »
    Ugh! I don't see how people can eat that stuff. I kept reading about it on these forums. So I tried it. I tried three different flavors, trying to be fair.

To me, they all tasted the same. Like gritty sadness. Maybe it's because they are non-dairy, but I found them disgusting. There are so many really tasty low fat, low calorie dairy desserts out there I doubt I will try anything else non-dairy since I have yet to have a good experience with that nasty tasting and textured *kitten*.

All "diet" ice cream tastes like sadness. :(
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I was on the Halo Top kick for a while, but the price is outrageous to me. I recently bought Dreyer's slow churned butter pecan and I loved it. Last week I bought strawberry from Breyers and it tastes like nothing. I do not need a lot of ice cream in a serving so while I have not gone all out on the regular ice cream yet, I am exploring other avenues.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Halo Top I'm not really a fan of anymore to be quite honest. I love Enlightened and Breyer's Delights though! Much more true ice cream taste.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    i like the chilly cow and the fact it comes in half pints.
  • ck2307
    ck2307 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yeah Halo top is really hit or miss. The new non dairy toasted coconut is objectively the best. It’s one of the few that doesn’t taste like a low cal/diet dessert at all and I highly recommend you give it a try before completely giving up!
  • nicoleseph0321
    nicoleseph0321 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I was ready to give up on Halo Top until I tried the oatmeal cookie flavor- it’s SO GOOD!!
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    JaxxieKat wrote: »
    You speak heresies! In all seriousness, I love Halo Top, but my husband hates it. He says every flavor tastes like Play Doh to him. Enlightened is amazing. Aldi makes a great low cal ice cream, but thus far it only comes in chocolate, vanilla, and mint chocolate chip. If you want to splurge a little, the Ben & Jerry's Moophoria is amazeballs.

While I understand that for health or religious reasons, many people have no choice but to go non-dairy, I have to agree with your husband, so far every non-dairy flavor I have tried tastes exactly the same: frozen, artificial sweet. Nothing else.
    Kroger has a brand, Simple Truth, Low Cow, and the Lemon Cake is so good, sweet, tart and creamy. The same brand Birthday Cake and Sea Salt Caramel, taste just like their names.
    I tried the Halo Top non-dairy Birthday Cake, Chocolate Almond Crunch and Caramel Macchiato, AND I did let them soften a bit before eating them since they were like concrete if I didn't, and as I stated in my OP - gritty sadness.
  • etfan
    etfan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    HeyJudii wrote: »
    Ugh! I don't see how people can eat that stuff. I kept reading about it on these forums. So I tried it. I tried three different flavors, trying to be fair.

To me, they all tasted the same. Like gritty sadness. Maybe it's because they are non-dairy, but I found them disgusting. There are so many really tasty low fat, low calorie dairy desserts out there I doubt I will try anything else non-dairy since I have yet to have a good experience with that nasty tasting and textured *kitten*.

I agree— yuck!
  • Nadspee
    Nadspee Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    The strawberry ice cream tastes just like cherry luigi's water ice that's been at the bottom of the freezer way too long and got super freezer burned! I'd rather have a popsicle. (shout out to Outshine Bars!) Also, Halo should really put lines inside of the container so you know when you've hit the half way point, lmao.
  • DamienAngelica
    DamienAngelica Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    My husband accidentally grabbed a pint of the dairy free caramel macchiato and while the flavor wasn't bad, the grittiness was unpleasant. It's my favorite regular flavor, though.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    As I have said before, from someone who abstained from ice cream for a llooonnggg time, the first time I tried it, I nearly feel over. Someone ask how I can eat it. With a spoon until I see the bottom of the carton!