Calories and nutrition surplus from workouts

Options
So I’ve had great success with this app. But I have had to up my calorie count to match my level of training. So if my macro is 2100 calories but I burn 1200 in a workout. Am I trying to eat enough to get my calorie count to level out to zero or do you run a deficit? Meaning if my new calorie count is 3200 from the added workout. Do I eat to regain what I lost. Or do you call it at 2100?

Replies

• Cbkkata
    Cbkkata Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It's mostly up to each individual. Personally I would eat back at least a portion of the calories to fuel the workout and your body. Mfp creates a deficit based on your info when you start.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what others do, the app is designed for you to eat your exercise calories. Take into consideration that all methods of calculating exercise burn are estimates. So evaluate over 4-6 weeks and adjust as needed. This video is wonderful at explaining it:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503681/exercise-calories-do-i-eat-these-a-video-explanation/p1
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you need to eat some of it back as that's how this app works
    now frequently calories burns are often over estimated. it's, generally, recommended to eat 50-75% percent of the burn so you aren't losing too fast, but that you are still losing
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    You should eat back your exercise calories. As MFP is notorious for overestimating calories burned, 50-75% of calories burned are eaten back on average.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    pt228585 wrote: »
    So I’ve had great success with this app. But I have had to up my calorie count to match my level of training. So if my macro is 2100 calories but I burn 1200 in a workout. Am I trying to eat enough to get my calorie count to level out to zero or do you run a deficit? Meaning if my new calorie count is 3200 from the added workout. Do I eat to regain what I lost. Or do you call it at 2100?

If your calorie goal is from MFP, yes you should eat back at least some of your calories. MFP gives you a lower calorie goal assuming you will eat back those calories. Because exercise burns can be inflated, many people start back eating half and then tweak up or down based on how they feel and what their weight is doing.

If you manually entered a calorie goal from a TDEE calculator, that number is higher because it already includes your expected exercise, so you wouldn't be logging your exercise.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    What are you doing to burn 1200 cals in a workout, I highly doubt it’s that high of a caloric expenditure
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    What are you doing to burn 1200 cals in a workout, I highly doubt it’s that high of a caloric expenditure

I've only ever had one "workout" that burned that much. A 20 mile hike through the mountains, that included a lot of climbing. Takes 6 hours to complete.... But on a regular basis, yeah that's insanly high for a non competitive athlete (I'm fairly certain most Olympic runners and swimmers have those workouts, but not most people).