chocolate cravings

Options
Has anybody any tips on how to control sweet cravings which lead to binges. My desire for sweet foods/choclate is so strong at the moment its ruining any attempts at losing anymore weight. Once I have one buscuit or whatever else it may be thats it. Iys another and another until the packets gone. Does anyone else have this problem. Maybe its just my willpower I don't know? Help!!!

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    craving only last for 15/20 mins so if you can go for a quick walk or something for that time you will kill of the craving!

also note on a calender when you get the cravings mine are always around ovulation time(day 15)of my cycle!
  • jisabelle
    jisabelle Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I love, love love, chocolate!
    The only thing that works for me is out of sight out of mind.
    meaning I don't keep it at home if I have to have some it will be the "fun size" or just buy one candy bar and that's it.
    It's so hard since chocolate is my weakness.
    I hope these tips help, and good luck.
  • kadoodle76
    kadoodle76 Posts: 234
    Options
    craving only last for 15/20 mins so if you can go for a quick walk or something for that time you will kill of the craving!

Did not know that! Also, what I do if I really want chocolate is buy the richest dark chocolate so that I can be satisfied with way less. If I eat a snickers bar, I want more but I can be satisfied with just one square of the good dark stuff. Plus, it naturally has less sugar and calories than milk chocolate and antioxidents too.
  • daad13
    daad13 Posts: 68
    Options
    I get those sweet cravings a lot as well. Mine usually come at midnight, and so I try to sleep, read, watch tv or just keep busy during that time. However I do allow myself the usual chocolate treat and that comes in the form of a chocolate granola bar from Fit and Active(to me its a healthier version of a chocolate bar) or just a small square of 65 to 80% dark chocolate. The dark chocolate is so decadent and rich (and usually less than 70 calories per square) so that one square will really satisfy that craving and not lead to any excess eating.
  • jwaters1006
    jwaters1006 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Special K chocolate drizzle bar 90 calories and I'm happy.
  • emereyda
    emereyda Posts: 22
    Options
    1. Dont buy them
    2. Eat an egg for your breakast
    3. Eat a grapefruit
    4. Go for a long walk with a bottle of water (dont take any money with you)
    5. Try 90% cocoa chocolate (its bitter, so you dont want more than two pieces)
    6. Maybe some suppressants could help
  • ckatastrophy
    ckatastrophy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Has anybody any tips on how to control sweet cravings which lead to binges. My desire for sweet foods/choclate is so strong at the moment its ruining any attempts at losing anymore weight. Once I have one buscuit or whatever else it may be thats it. Iys another and another until the packets gone. Does anyone else have this problem. Maybe its just my willpower I don't know? Help!!!

Yes i do. Sometimes when your body is wanting sweets it's really lacking energy (aka protein). Try a chocolate protein shake or bar. You could also try drinking a glass of water before going for the food & waiting about 20min & then if you're still hungry pick a healthy snack (try drizzling a tsp of honey over a sliced pear or apple - very yummy).
    I found Yoplait yogurt has these Delights Parfaits they cure my craving for sweet & are healthy.
    You could also check out this topic I posted called "Cures for your sweet tooth..." it's in the food & nutrition section, there are a lot of great ideas there from myself & other members.
  • fionamacf
    Options
    A mug of low calorie hot chocolate works for me.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I agree with the dark chocolate but find energy chocolate no use.

I keep cooking chocolate in the fridge broken into two-square pieces for 50 cals. I have a piece a day. Okay, sometimes life is tough and I have two but it's still absolutely nothing on what I could eat if I had a bar of caramello sitting there.

the cooking chocolate solves my chocolate problem without leaving me desperate for more. And it being in the fridge means it takes longer to eat.
  • Sarah_uk
    Sarah_uk Posts: 209
    Options
    I have the same problem with chocolate(&chocolate biscuits). Love, love, love, love it.

What you could do is buy small bars/single servings of whatever you like,but that might not stop you from eating more than 1. (been there,done that)

What I do these days, is let my OH go to the shop to get me 1 single bar. That way I can't eat more than that,but I'm still happy :)
  • Sarah_uk
    Sarah_uk Posts: 209
    Options
    Oh I forgot to say, a good hot chocolate can help aswell. I love Galaxy's.
  • jameslucy
    jameslucy Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will try them out. !!!