Fitness Tracker

Options
Hi all. Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations on fitness trackers? I’ve been thinking about getting a Fitbit, but I’m not sure. Is it really worth it? Or is there a better tracker out there?

Replies

• Nativestar56
    Nativestar56 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    What do want from a tracker? Just to track steps? Get a more accurate calorie burn with HR? Track running with GPS? If you give us an idea of what you need you'll get better suggestions.

I have a Fitbit Charge 2 and I really like it, the app is very user friendly. For me it was worth it.
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you're looking for. I do a lot of open air activities, like hiking, open water swimming etc.
    So I bought a Garmin Fenix 5x. It's expensive, but the maps and accurate tracking are worth it, if not for anything else, in case of an emergency, i can find my way or beam my location.

As a fitness tracker thou, you can get the same results from a fitbit or a vivosmart for 1 quarter of the price.
    Just keep in mind that wrist based HR is good for running and sleep tracking and basic anything else that does not involve sudden wrist movements, but if you like HIIT like insanity, Boot Camp etc, you will need to pair it with an HRM.

If you're not worried about the sleep tracking and just want to control your workouts, you may be fine with just a bluetooth HRM which can pair with Apps like google fit, Samsung Health etc adn track your workouts accurately for less then $50.
  • philcycle12
    philcycle12 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have used the Fitbit charge , but found it a bit on the clumsy side for gps tracking on mountain bike, I now use apple I watch 3 which is brilliant, they are worth buying even if it’s just for making sure you get your step count in every day, I joined vitality and with the free cinema tickets and Starbucks using watch tracker makes sure I get the steps in for the points every day
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    IndyFitJoe wrote: »
    I've been thinking about that too and with so many on the market now, it's hard to figure out which ones are actually worth the money. It will be interesting to see what people have to say here...

Great primer on it here, he does the most thorough and detailed testing you'll find: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/11/winter-technology-recommendations.html
  • jclawst
    jclawst Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the UA healthbox stuff? I’ve got it coming and am pretty stoked to try it out. I found a good deal on eBay so picked it up.
  • Neiross1
    Neiross1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If you have a android cell phone it has most if not all of the features of a fitbit. Samsung phones like the galaxy s9 and 8 also have a heart rate monitor.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I have a Fitbit charge HR I think. It’s a couple years old. My husband makes fun of me for using it but I find it to be very motivating and handy. I love seeing how many calories I’ve burned each day among other things. I think I’m more active when I wear it because I like seeing the higher numbers. I think the garmins are probably better but the Fitbit works just fine to me.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it depends on what you want.
    i have a vivosmart hr.
    i second looking at dcrainmakers reviews
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    jclawst wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the UA healthbox stuff? I’ve got it coming and am pretty stoked to try it out. I found a good deal on eBay so picked it up.

There's a reason the healthbox is marked down from $400 to 120 or less.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What great ideas, needed this info!