Those who 'only' had up to 25 lbs to lose - please share your successes!

Options
2»

Replies

• debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I too have some more pounds to lose- but i am a shorty at 5 feet 2 inches tall- also menopausal in the 50's so I know the struggle. but it does take time esp. if you want to take it nice and easy- so many weeks I will lose half a pound or maybe a pound- some weeks for two or three weeks- stay the same- but it is worth it- so let's keep going!
  • wanderingarcher
    wanderingarcher Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this thread. I’ve had a bigger loss, but I’m on the last 20-25 lbs and it helps to read these stories. ❤️
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Hey Im 5'8 (almost 44)
    my lowest was 130
    highest was upper 150's but i was too scared to weigh myself which is how things got so out of hand
    Im 151 now, with a goal of 140...i think that is reasonable for my age/height

Things are going in the right direction..slowly
    My cardio is walking...but i mostly do strength training/weight/core exc...with some yoga (all at home)

I eat around 1400 cals a day/low carb

I have a goal to get to 140 by the end of august
    fingers crossed!

GL
    kim

• bethlefleur
    bethlefleur Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    @HoneyBadger155 I am the same build as you. I went down to 139/142 on MFP about 4 years ago after my second son. I took up running and ran 4 half marathons and 2 full. The last year has been job stress and some medications that got me up to current weight of 163. I’m finally ready to start again. (I am 5’7). Been back tracking a week now.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,982 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Honeybadger we had the same start weight! How are you getting on so far? My goal is 126, but even in 3 weeks my weight has fluctuated up to 159 and now at 155 again! I’m working out and eating 1200-1400 a day, so I think it will slowly come off. Have just introduced regular cardio (cross-training) at the gym too.

Summer is SO hard to dress for when you don’t like your body. I see people in shorts and dresses and want to have the same freedom!

I'm down to about 153 give or take a pound. Had a couple days around 151, but some that were up around 154, too (more of those than the other LOL).

The struggle is real, but I'm determined to stick to it, even if a bad week here or there throws things off. Quitting my part time weekend gig, so that will free up time for grocery shopping and better meal prep, which will do a LOT to sticking to my goals better.

Still trying to find that balance. Was hoping to try for a steeper cut for a couple months, was doing okay for a couple weeks, then the hangries hit HARD and I 'backslid' a pound or two. So, trying to be more reasonable about it and accept I won't be at my 1st stop goal for my birthday (which I really kinda wanted, but not at the sacrifice of everything else and/or being miserable).
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    The last few lbs is the hardest because you have to lose slowly and be very strict. For some people, 20 lbs makes a big difference in how you look, especially being short.
  • lizzy_satellite
    lizzy_satellite Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Not at success point yet, but less than 20lbs to lose so I'll chip in. I'm 46 and 5'3". Currently at 147.5 after six months of recuperation from an injury (I stopped exercising and logging); my happy place is 132. I've been back on track for the last week. Looking forward to my clothes not straining at the seams! :)
  • JoAnna4731
    JoAnna4731 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    5'3"
    SW - 170 (Dec. 27, 2017)
    CW -152.5
    GW - 142 (total 28 lb loss, and maybe a few more from there - we'll see when I get there!)

So far so good - been going very, very slowly, celebrating each mini-goal along the way. I have incorporated a half hour of exercise 6 days a week (3 days cardio, 3 days strength) plus 15 minute walks to up my step count, and I really like the way I feel and the progress I have made. It has not been difficult, per se - patience has been the biggest difficulty! But I am really enjoying the exercise program I have been doing, and I don't really ever allow myself to get hungry (I'm a grazer), so this has not been painful. I have no timeline - I will get to my goal when I do.
  • dlr165
    dlr165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am 52 and I am 5'3. I am currently at 132. My goal weight is 120-125. At my heaviest I was 185. I have been between 130-135 for a year. I was down to 125 a couple of years ago. The worst part is I have tons of cellulite in my legs. If I could just cut out sugar, I think I would drop these last 10 lbs. It's hard. I run and I just started a 5 month half marathon training plan. Hopefully, ramping up my running will help the look of my legs.
  • malpat1315
    malpat1315 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This thread is both inspiring and intimidating. I have another 18 pounds to lose by the end of November this year and then another 5-8 by September 2019 for my wedding. Hoping to be back down to my size pre-college and sedentary job life! I just started 2 weeks ago so now I'm worried about not hitting my goal for November. :#

Has anyone had better luck losing pounds doing weight training vs cardio?
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    malpat1315 wrote: »
    This thread is both inspiring and intimidating. I have another 18 pounds to lose by the end of November this year and then another 5-8 by September 2019 for my wedding. Hoping to be back down to my size pre-college and sedentary job life! I just started 2 weeks ago so now I'm worried about not hitting my goal for November. :#

It's not that you have better luck losing 'weight' doing weight training, but it changes your physique more. I think most people have the most success incorporating both.
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    malpat1315 wrote: »

I personally lost 20 pounds in a 5 month period. I am 5'7" and went from 150-130 pounds from the beginning of June to the beginning of November. It averaged out to losing about 1 pound per week. It was a little aggressive since I had so little to lose and was already in a healthy weight range. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't try losing so fast, but it was possible for me! I just carefully and honestly tracked my calories, sticking to them 95% of the time. I found that cardio burned more calories, which allowed my to eat more. :] Just don't give up because it's not happening fast enough. It never seems fast enough but you will get there with dedication!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I only had 25 lbs to lose and that was five years ago. I kept my deficit at a half-pound per week, ate the foods I always have, weighed and logged everything. I moved to free weights, started with Stronglifts and moved onto PHUL about a year later. When I was losing, I did very little cardio simply because I preferred lifting and with both I ate all of my exercise calories after taking about 6 weeks to determine what they were.

Since then I have run a couple bulk/cut cycles and sit at about 8 pounds heavier than my original goal weight but my body composition is significantly better with the added muscle.

Two things that helped me: Following a weekly calorie goal. Balancing calories throughout the week keeps me from stressing about hungry or not so hungry days. Some days I'm over, sometimes under, but it balances out in the end. Also, I'm petite and don't have a lot of calories to play with so I split my calories into two meals and a snack. If I eat breakfast I am hungry all day long so I find it best to not eat until around 11 a.m.. I prelog about 250-300 calories for an evening snack and then split the rest between two good sized meals.

ETA: I should add I am 43, was 38 when I started on MFP and am 5' 3" and sit around 123-126.
  • ravenwcatz
    ravenwcatz Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’3”, 30ish (:p) My highest weight was 153(ish?) this past winter, lowest was 120, 10 years ago, when I revenge lost 25 pounds after breaking up with a dude who casually mentioned he thought I was getting fat. Over the last decade, I’ve bobbled between these numbers, usually setting around 140. I don’t hate my body, I’m a dancer so I’m reasonably active, but I’d like to be back around 130. I’m chronically depressed, so motivation gets to be a problem sometimes... I lost about 10lbs fairly quickly this spring, eating primarily vegetarian and getting 11k steps in every day, but I only see results if I have a huge calorie deficit (like 500 calories) and I really started to resent the fact that I think about pasta and gain 3lbs. Basically, I’m a volume eater, and it’s difficult to find things that are filling for me and also basically zero calories (and not more kale because.., I eat so much kale).

This seems like it’s not very... successful sounding, but... I keep trying?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!