Dizziness...

Hey everyone...

Just wanted to get some of your thoughts/opinions on this!

Recently (over the past year) when I exercise, more often than not I get really dizzy after or during exercise. This used to never happen, and I was exercising MUCH harder and more frequently then. Now, sometimes even after only 10 minutes of cardio, I begin to feel extremely weak and dizzy and I have to stop. After that, usually after sitting to stretch or on the car ride home, I get very dizzy, almost feeling as if I am going to pass out.

If I make it all the way through my cardio routine of 30 min. on the elliptical, then I somtimes feel dizzy afterwards, overheated, and extremely tired. It is also very hard for me to catch my breath.

Could I just simply have fallen very out of shape compared to what I used to be? Could it be a dehydration thing? Could it even be a mental thing since now I am totally paranoid to do cardio in fear that I will become dizzy?

Any thoughts/ideas/opinions on this would be very helpful! Thanks everyone! :smile:

Replies

• Hey everyone...

Just wanted to get some of your thoughts/opinions on this!

Recently (over the past year) when I exercise, more often than not I get really dizzy after or during exercise. This used to never happen, and I was exercising MUCH harder and more frequently then. Now, sometimes even after only 10 minutes of cardio, I begin to feel extremely weak and dizzy and I have to stop. After that, usually after sitting to stretch or on the car ride home, I get very dizzy, almost feeling as if I am going to pass out.

If I make it all the way through my cardio routine of 30 min. on the elliptical, then I somtimes feel dizzy afterwards, overheated, and extremely tired. It is also very hard for me to catch my breath.

Could I just simply have fallen very out of shape compared to what I used to be? Could it be a dehydration thing? Could it even be a mental thing since now I am totally paranoid to do cardio in fear that I will become dizzy?

Any thoughts/ideas/opinions on this would be very helpful! Thanks everyone! :smile:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    This sounds like "bonking" which usually means you're not eating enough.

Are you eating enough?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Could be undereating, dehydration, improper breathing, low blood pressure...lots of things can cause dizziness. You need to be fully hydrated before you work out, and keep on drinking for the duration of your workout. Overheating sounds like a symptom of dehydration...fatigue could be dehydration or undereating.
  • I'm pretty sure I'm eating enough. I usually work out inthe afternoons after eating breakfast and lunch, and I usually eat a snack, like toast with peanut butter before my work out. I am just freaked out that this is happening! It's really scary :frown: and very discouraging since I'm so worried now that I will get dizzy I almost DON'T want to work out at all!

I've been to the doc about this before and they haven't really found anything wrong. It almost makes me not believe him!

Maybe I'll try eating more and drinking more? I've never been a big water drinker, or anything drinker for that matter. Maybe that's the problem.. hmmm.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    I'm pretty sure I'm eating enough. I usually work out inthe afternoons after eating breakfast and lunch, and I usually eat a snack, like toast with peanut butter before my work out. I am just freaked out that this is happening! It's really scary :frown: and very discouraging since I'm so worried now that I will get dizzy I almost DON'T want to work out at all!

I've been to the doc about this before and they haven't really found anything wrong. It almost makes me not believe him!

Maybe I'll try eating more and drinking more? I've never been a big water drinker, or anything drinker for that matter. Maybe that's the problem.. hmmm.

You absolutely need to drink water. Dehydration is serious, and it can be fatal. You're harming all of your tissues when you're dehydrated, but especially your kidneys and liver.
  • :drinker:
    Before I started this (in January) I hated water! I have really gotten use to it. Every night, I fill a container with 8 cups of water so it's ice cold in the morning. I make it my goal to finish the whole thing each day. (That doesn't include the 8oz of tea I have during lunch and then again at supper. Or the 8oz. of juice at breakfast)
    Unfortunately, I have to pee alot.:laugh:
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Does this dizzines ever happen when you are sitting still and eating?

Dizziness can be caused by a variety of things as everyone has pointed out and if you're not keeping yourself hydrated that could be a principle issue. Now, if you're experiencing this while seated and eating it could be restriction in the arteries in the neck becoming blocked and if your doctor has ruled that out then you need to monitor exactly what you're doing when this occurs.

Other possible problems are inner ear sensitivity leading to vertigo. There are certainly other things that could be causing it as well like:

Low Blood Sugar -- eat an orange 15 - 20 minutes before working out will help.

Hydration -- as everyone has mentioned.

Another cause could be motion sickness (really it happens) so focus on where you're gazing.

Just plain trying too hard can produce similar symptoms

Not breathing fully can cause you some oxygen intak problems

If you're doing Pilates and haven't received formal instruction you could be doing something incorrectly that's causing your difficulties.

If it's not any of these then: keep a journal to document your specific activity and what the symptoms are so that you can share it with your doctor.

Good Luck and I hope this helps
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Go see your doctor! We are all very well meaning here and give the best advice we can based off of our own experiences but we are by no means medical advisors. There are a lot of things that can cause dizziness. It could be your eyesight as well so when you see your doctor ask for a quick eye exam, your vision can do a lot of weird things too you.

NOW CALL YOUR DOCTOR!!! :sick: :glasses: :wink:
  • In regards to the dizziness. Does it occur when you stand quickly or bend over? You could possibly have a condition where the crystals that float in you inner ear are out of place. I know it sounds crazy, but I had the same condition. These crystals are what helps you keep your balance. You should consult a doctor and if they can't find anything check with a ear/nose and throat doctor. Good Luck.
  • Thanks so much for the advice/knowledge everyone...I really really appreciate it!

As some of you asked, no the dizziness does not happen when I am just sitting still, nor when I stand quickly. It seems to be directly related to exercise.

I'm going to take all of your advice, and really load up on water everyday, not only before work outs, but especially before them. I will also trying eating an orange as rheston suggested before my spinning class tonight, and see if it helps! I will keep you all posted. If all else fails, I will return to the doctor again. (he totally probably thinks I'm a hypercondriac (sp?) about this becuse I ask about it every time I see him!)

Thanks again everyone!! You are all awesome, I love it here! :smile:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    One more bit of advice. . .

if your doctor is making you feel at all uncomfortable, as if it's not your right to bring up a symptom,

go ask another doctor.

also, have you had a tilt-table test? I have a condition that sounds a bit like what you described, and this is the test I had for it.

It is your doctor's job to listen to you.:flowerforyou:
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    There are two versions of "near syncope", which is what you describe: cardiovascular and non-cardiovascular. Within Cardio are cardiogenic (mechanical or electrical changes in the heart), orthostatic hypotension (decrease in blood pressure when changing position = sitting to standing), and vasovagal (stimulation of the vagus nerve/ that can cause the same symptomes) reaction.

Sounds like you've ruled out orthostatic, so focus on the other symptoms you may have to try to isolate one of the other two forms. The difference between the two is with cardiogenic you have decreased cardiac output, which causes a decrease in blood flow. Vasovagal starts with a decrease in blood pressure & heart rate, resulting in decreased blood flow. Monitor your heart rate is the best thing I can advise.

The Cardiogenic causes are the most common in athletes and typically occur in a standing position. Non-cardio include neurogenic, metabolic, anaphylactic, heat or psychiatric disorders. It does not sound like these are issues for you, so focus on the cardio forms.

Good luck!
    Arianne
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    If you truly feel like your doctor isn't listening to your concerns you need to find another doctor. Most illnesses women have could be cured faster if they would just stand up to the doctor and ask questions. Prepare a list of symptoms and questions for your visit and don't leave until he/she has answered them for you.

I had this problem with my son last year, we kept going to the doctor month after month and finally I made sure to get an appointment with one of the doctors in the group I felt most comfortable with and after making the doctor look at the history of visits and the symptoms he ordered blood tests. I was worried it may be lukemia or some horrible thing for my child to have but it turned out he had mononucleosis and once confirmed we knew what we had to do to help him get better, which included getting his nearly 25 days of absences okay'd by the state so he could go on to 4th grade.

Oh, and can I say I was never so happy for a positive mono test in my life!
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    I also get dizzy when I exercise sometimes. Alot of times when that happens I have not had enough protein that day (not even 10% of my recommended grams). Not sure if you have the same issue, but it doesn't hurt to check. I also agree that you should keep pushing your doc to find out what the problem is. Hope you start feeling better soon. :smile: And don't let fear stop your workouts!