Air Fryer

Options
timbotina
timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
Just purchased an Air fryer....can anyone share their favorite things to try ❤️ Thanks. My favorite so far is Zucchini

Replies

• missjstro
    missjstro Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato fries!
  • missjstro
    missjstro Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Also green beans
  • nzworkaholic
    nzworkaholic Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Falafel- although they fill come dry.

Also, veggie patties are great in air fryer
  • nzworkaholic
    nzworkaholic Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    missjstro wrote: »
    Also green beans

Do you just put green beans fresh in as air fryer or do you batter them first?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,654 Member
    Options
    I love my air fryer. Got it in February as a birthday gift and use it last 4 times a week.

Favourites are poultry that need rendering of subcutaneous fat because the air fryer does a tremendous job of turning skin very thin and crisp. Chicken wings, drumsticks or thighs are salted and get tossed a half a teaspoon of baking powder and a few tablespoons of potato starch in a plastic bag prior to air frying. The baking powder lowers the pH of the skin and the potato starch helps with getting skin bone dry. Duck skin needs scoring first and is tossed in the same mixture. Brush or spray the basket with a little oil to stop poultry from sticking. I use a meat thermometer, but poultry is approximately 20 minutes at 200C skin side up.

For naked skin on fish, air fry skin side up for 3-4 minutes and then with tongs pull off the skin and place next to the fish to crisp up separately. Depending on thickness of fish fillets you might need to remove skin before fish is cooked. For battered fish I prefer to spray with some olive to get a crisp crust.

For veg I like asparagus tossed in olive oil (I usually shake with oil in a plastic bag). I do okra and green beans the same way.

It's really versatile. Anything you cook in the oven can be done in the air fryer using less energy and time. I do roast beef, rack of lamb, mostly on top of roast potatoes. I remove the basket to cook small trays of lasagna in it. Have even done cookies and rosti on a flat pan attachment that replaces the basket.

• acpgee
    Options
    And baked potatoes come out of the air fryer better than the oven due to dryer texture. About half the time too.

For french fries, I found I need to do a quite a lot of work to get good results in the air fryer. I cut potatoes into fries, soak 30 minutes in water to reduce starch content. Then drain and microwave 3-4 minutes and dry well. Toss in oil and potato starch and then air fry 20 minutes at 200C.

Roast potatoes get a good result with fewer steps. Peel potatoes and cut into chunks. Soak in a pan of salted water. When you want to eat, bring to boil, and then boil for 2 minutes once you reach a rolling boil. Drain and return to dry pan with a tablespoon of butter/goose fat/olive oil. Air fry about 20 minutes shaking halfway.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    I love my air fryer. Got it in February as a birthday gift and use it last 4 times a week.

Favourites are poultry that need rendering of subcutaneous fat because the air fryer does a tremendous job of turning skin very thin and crisp. Chicken wings, drumsticks or thighs are salted and get tossed a half a teaspoon of baking powder and a few tablespoons of potato starch in a plastic bag prior to air frying. The baking powder lowers the pH of the skin and the potato starch helps with getting skin bone dry. Duck skin needs scoring first and is tossed in the same mixture. Brush or spray the basket with a little oil to stop poultry from sticking. I use a meat thermometer, but poultry is approximately 20 minutes at 200C skin side up.

For naked skin on fish, air fry skin side up for 3-4 minutes and then with tongs pull off the skin and place next to the fish to crisp up separately. Depending on thickness of fish fillets you might need to remove skin before fish is cooked. For battered fish I prefer to spray with some olive to get a crisp crust.

For veg I like asparagus tossed in olive oil (I usually shake with oil in a plastic bag). I do okra and green beans the same way.

It's really versatile. Anything you cook in the oven can be done in the air fryer using less energy and time. I do roast beef, rack of lamb, mostly on top of roast potatoes. I remove the basket to cook small trays of lasagna in it. Have even done cookies and rosti on a flat pan attachment that replaces the basket.

Hey @acpgee do you mind if I ask which Air Fryer are you using? I've been thinking of replacing mine.
  • acpgee
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »

Hey @acpgee do you mind if I ask which Air Fryer are you using? I've been thinking of replacing mine.

I have the Phillips Viva, but we are a household of 2. I chose it on the basis of online reviews but it won't feed a larger family. If we have dinner guests, we need to do chicken wings in small batches. For wings I pre-cook everything 10 minutes and then finish 10-15 minutes after guests have arrived. That way I can have small batches arrive at the table at short intervals.