Will I loose muscle doing hours of fasted activity

Options
Hi everyone
I’m 2 weeks into the Keto diet & im doing if 18/6,I stop eating at 6pm and meals re start at 12pm the following day,what I’m worried about is the amount of activity I do every morning in a fasted state will I be burning muscle or not,I’m a milkman so I’m up at 4.30 am I must cover around 3-4 miles on foot during the round then as soon as I get home I take my dog for a 30-45 min walk,I get home from that around 9.30-10 and immediately take a nap until 11 am,then I’m up & straight in the gym i hit the weights for an hour,will all that activity in a fasted state cause me to loose muscle mass,all the cardio is in a steady state,my workouts in the gym are pretty intense but I feel great throughout it all no lack of energy etc
Advice on this will be greatly appreciated
Cheers

Replies

• ketobucko
    ketobucko Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Fasting for 18 hours isn't really fasting, it's "intermittent fasting", which is as meaningful as "almost pregnant". If you feel full of energy, and happy, you're all right.
    Oh ok thanks a lot for the advice,it’s all new to me this if I’ve never tried it before
  • ketobucko
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Well.... why are you doing 18/6 is the main question I would ask? Is it helping you with satiation? Are you after some other benefit?

You're describing a fairly active "8 to 10 hour day" before you eat anything.

Thinking of my own longer dog hikes, I tend to show signs of slowing down if I haven't fueled up. More cranky, less side excursions and no skipping from boulder to boulder! So, in general, performing less energetically.

I would venture to say that glycogen would reduce and regenerate. Beyond that... not sure how much it would matter.

I personally find a bit of protein and carbs to go nicely together around exercise.

Thanks for the reply mate,I’m giving it a try because
    1 I struggle to get 7-8 hours of sleep a night as it is,so I thought have the extra 30-45 mins sleep
    2 I used to always have overnight oats made ready for before work every morning but just recently I’d start to crash big time about an hour or so later whilst at work & I felt dreadful tried different carbs and had the same reaction hence why I’ve gone keto my carbs for the day now are never over 15g a day and I realise it’s early days but I feel incredible,I’m getting up in the morning and I’m looking lean and very flat,abs are starting to show,I’d started this with the intention of doing it for 12 weeks to see if it worked better than previous diets I’d done & see if I could get that little bit more ripped than before but I’m definitely going to make it a lifestyle choice now
  • ketobucko
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    Wait. They still have milkmen somewhere? What country are you in?

• ketobucko
    Options
    Don’t know what happened
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    ketobucko wrote: »
    There,yeah ccsernica they do we’re a dying breed but apparently it’s making a comeback due to people turning there back on plastic,I’m in england

Oh, we can still get milk in returnable glass bottles here in the US, from small organic dairies, anyway, and in certain parts of the country. We just can't get it delivered.

Good for you guys though. Sometimes the old ways are the best ways. Fresh milk every day, in glass, is one of them.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone
    I’m 2 weeks into the Keto diet & im doing if 18/6,I stop eating at 6pm and meals re start at 12pm the following day,what I’m worried about is the amount of activity I do every morning in a fasted state will I be burning muscle or not,I’m a milkman so I’m up at 4.30 am I must cover around 3-4 miles on foot during the round then as soon as I get home I take my dog for a 30-45 min walk,I get home from that around 9.30-10 and immediately take a nap until 11 am,then I’m up & straight in the gym i hit the weights for an hour,will all that activity in a fasted state cause me to loose muscle mass,all the cardio is in a steady state,my workouts in the gym are pretty intense but I feel great throughout it all no lack of energy etc
    Cheers

As long as your protein intake is sufficient, you should not lose too much muscle mass. Good choice to hit the weights because that will also help preserve the muscle mass.

You will lose some muscle - that's just the way the body works when you are eating in a deficit - nothing that you can do about that, but protein and working out will help to minimize the effects and the lose.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    We still have milk delivery where I live in Colorado.

But in regards to the OP. CCrdragon is correct.
  • ketobucko
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Hi everyone
    Cheers

As long as your protein intake is sufficient, you should not lose too much muscle mass. Good choice to hit the weights because that will also help preserve the muscle mass.

You will lose some muscle - that's just the way the body works when you are eating in a deficit - nothing that you can do about that, but protein and working out will help to minimize the effects and the lose.

Thanks for the reply,as I mentioned earlier I’m on the keto diet I’m abit concerned about whether I’m getting enough protein I’ve read up about it loads but I must admit someone says one thing and someone says another,I’ve read to much protein will kick you out of Ketosis but then I’ve seen people having 60-70g more protein than fat,Im on a 75/25/5 split f/p/c currently around 165g fat,110g protein and 14g carbs,I only weigh 147lbs so I’m pretty sure that amount will be ok but I’m not 100% confident,would you say that’s about in the right range
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,660 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    OP you're throwing two questions in the mix: macros for keto and intermittent fasting.

I don't think you're in great danger of being thrown out of ketosis if you allow your protein intake to climb up to 1g per lb or so.

Your 110g of protein @ 146lbs is probably adequate. A guideline for increased protein consumption while in a deficit may be 0.6 to 0.8g protein per lb of lean mass commonly transcribed into 0.8g to 1g per lb of total mass within the normal weight range.

https://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/ might give you some ideas about macro mixes you may want to pursue.

I would NOT go for a more than 20% deficit given that you can already see abs, in other words you are ALREADY lean.

In fact, my suggestion would be to aim closer to the 10% to 15% range for a deficit... and to give yourself lots and lots of time.

I note very specifically and in the interest of avoiding disappointments: when you first enter ketosis you run down your body's ready carbohydrate reserve. Glycogen. Glycogen molecules contain carbs and water in an approximately 1:3 ratio. So for every 1g of carb you've utilised by forcing your body to consume it and not replace it, you've also shed 3g of water.

There is a very good chance that your increased ab visibility is associated with a reduction in your body's water content more so than with a fat layer reduction. The general rule of thumb is that if it is a FAST change... it is NOT FAT RELATED.

A glycogen related initial weight loss is 100% borrowed against the time where you re-introduce carbs in sufficient quantities at which time glycogen, naturally, replenishes.

Keep that in mind if you observe major scale changes when falling in and out of ketosis.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    We still have milk delivery where I live in Colorado.

But in regards to the OP. CCrdragon is correct.

Yep, I'm in CO, too and I had milk delivery for several years when my kids were young. They also delivered bread, bagels, eggs, butter, and several other things that I can't think of right now. You'd just mark your order sheet for the next delivery and could change it every week.
  • ketobucko
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    OP you're throwing two questions in the mix: macros for keto and intermittent fasting.

I don't think you're in great danger of being thrown out of ketosis if you allow your protein intake to climb up to 1g per lb or so.

Your 110g of protein @ 146lbs is probably adequate. A guideline for increased protein consumption while in a deficit may be 0.6 to 0.8g protein per lb of lean mass commonly transcribed into 0.8g to 1g per lb of total mass within the normal weight range.

https://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/ might give you some ideas about macro mixes you may want to pursue.

I would NOT go for a more than 20% deficit given that you can already see abs, in other words you are ALREADY lean.

In fact, my suggestion would be to aim closer to the 10% to 15% range for a deficit... and to give yourself lots and lots of time.

I note very specifically and in the interest of avoiding disappointments: when you first enter ketosis you run down your body's ready carbohydrate reserve. Glycogen. Glycogen molecules contain carbs and water in an approximately 1:3 ratio. So for every 1g of carb you've utilised by forcing your body to consume it and not replace it, you've also shed 3g of water.

There is a very good chance that your increased ab visibility is associated with a reduction in your body's water content more so than with a fat layer reduction. The general rule of thumb is that if it is a FAST change... it is NOT FAT RELATED.

A glycogen related initial weight loss is 100% borrowed against the time where you re-introduce carbs in sufficient quantities at which time glycogen, naturally, replenishes.

Keep that in mind if you observe major scale changes when falling in and out of ketosis.

• ketobucko
    Options
    Thanks mate,that was actually the calculator I used and I chose the 20% defecit,I’ll carry on with it this week & see where I’m at on Monday but I might take your advice and up my calories cos I’ve been loosing 3lb a week the last couple of weeks,I don’t really want to be loosing any more than 1.5lb per week,I definitely agree with you on it being water weight I’ve lost or had lost,I’ve looked puffy around the mid section since I ate at 5pm yesterday,I hate how your body plays with your head,yesterday I felt great cos I looked quite ripped & today I just feel like a mess