Eating inbetween meals

Options
Hi everybody, great to be here! I have a problem in that I have been used to eating inbetween meals for so long that now I have stopped doing that - it's like going cold turkey! I worry that I will always think about food until the end of my days when I crave something in between meals. Does anybody else every feel real hungry in between but ignores the uncomfortable feelings and slight shakes that accompany it? I do eat healthily when I have meals and somebody I used to work with was quite sarcastic sometimes saying he couldn't understand why people do this as he only ever eats his 3 meals a day and is never hungry in between. Last night I was really restless at home and drove my husband mad as It was almost like I would imagine a person who has jut given up smoking to feel like, the habit of doing the thing is what you crave! Anybody got an tips or been through the same thing? Thanks!

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with having healthy snacks in between meals! I try to keep my mid-morning and afternoon snacks protein based as that keeps you feeling fuller longer, so hard boiled eggs, cheese, almonds, roast soy beans, or a piece of fruit.

I know, for some people they can get by with just 3 meals, but I know I couldn't!
  • lg0053
    lg0053 Posts: 3
    Options
    Many thanks for your reply! My doc said just stick to 3 meals a day and I worry that eating in between is 'bad habits' but I suppose that is subjective!
  • gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options
    I can't see the bad in snacking between if it's healthy. Don't people recommened 6 small meals a day and not 3 big ones?

I don't know, I tend to snack on raw mushrooms if I really need food. But I find them yummy and don't like to deprive my body lol.

If you're set on giving up snacking then eat your breakfast 1hour later your lunch half hour ealier and your dinner 1 hour ealier so it's more grouped in untill your over the worst?

But obviously if you've got work or kids and commitments you may not be able to do that, did your doctor say to get rid of ALL snacking? What kind of things do you eat?
  • LH2011
    LH2011 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I was a terrible snacker and its were I gained all my weight as the three meals a day I ate were heathly.

I could never give up my snacks so I looked at my calories aloud for the day and divided it up for my breakfast lunch and dinner allowing myself enough left about 200 calories for a snack during the day normally fruit and a yoghurt and the a snack in the evening like popcorn for something sweet at around 100 calories I recently found skinny cow products which are great if like me you have a sweet tooth. Doing it this way did meant I had to make my dinner smaller in calories to have enough to go around.

Oh I also think when trying to lose weight its not about feeling hungry if you really are hungry you need to eat as your body needs it - its about what you eat.
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    snacking between meals just is not realistic....just make sure you are snacking on healthy things and you are staying whithin your goals for the day.. :)
  • Fatcatsmom
    Options
    Plan your day to include healthy snacks, no need to go hungry and think about food constantly. Drink water first to see if you are thirsty or really hungry. I have snacks every day otherwise I'd just get too hungry by mealtime and over eat. Good luck.
  • Appersmere
    Appersmere Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is an email the fitness trainer at work sent out:

If you eat five to six small meals a day versus two or three, you will lose more fat and gain more muscle.

"Eat more (often), lose more fat – it’s a hard concept for most individuals to get but one of the main reasons we as a nation that struggle so greatly with obesity is because of our habit of eating only two or three large meals per day. This sets up a sort of “feast or famine” pattern in our body that promotes fat storage, fluctuating energy levels and muscle loss. Focusing on eating small portions of well-combined protein, carbohydrates and healthy fat every three hours or so throughout the day, the feast or famine pattern can be alleviated."
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Ignoring hunger, I could understand, but if you're getting shaky, I wouldn't recommend ignoring that. Like everyone else said, snack healthy and you'll be OK. I could never fit all of my calories into my three meals, and I could never go without snacking in between. I would probably pass out if I did.
  • rfcollins33
    Options
    I honestly don't think there is anything wrong with snacking in between as long as 1. those foods are healthy and whole and 2. you are within you calories for the day. I love greek yogurt with fruit and honey, whole wheat ritz with sharp cheddar, popcorn (no butter, not lots of salt), fruit, veggies, sandwiches on whole wheat with spicy mustard and pickle, baked chips with salsa, and the list goes on........ Don't think of this as a prison sentence, eat when hungry but make it healthy!! Good luck and ignore your co-worker, his body and needs are not yours and he is just being an *kitten* is what is sounds like to me :D
  • mizfrankie
    mizfrankie Posts: 100
    Options
    I honestly don't think there is anything wrong with snacking in between as long as 1. those foods are healthy and whole and 2. you are within you calories for the day. I love greek yogurt with fruit and honey, whole wheat ritz with sharp cheddar, popcorn (no butter, not lots of salt), fruit, veggies, sandwiches on whole wheat with spicy mustard and pickle, baked chips with salsa, and the list goes on........ Don't think of this as a prison sentence, eat when hungry but make it healthy!! Good luck and ignore your co-worker, his body and needs are not yours and he is just being an *kitten* is what is sounds like to me :D

Ha! Yes exacly. Your coworker is totally being an *kitten*. This is great advice. Whole foods, raw foods, unprocessed foods - those should be your snacks and they keep you satisfied for longer. Stay within your calories and you're sorted!
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I snack - in fact I try not to go longer than a few hours without eating something.

Pomegranate seeds are one of my favourite snacks at the moment!
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I eat something every 2-3 hours.