Night shifts

Options
Hi all,
I have successfully lost weight before but have struggled ever since becoming a nurse due to the shifts. Has any one got any tips on how to stave off hunger at 4am having been awake for the whole previous day? I don’t feel like I have enough calories to cover the day and the night!

Im very new to MFP so any tips welcome.

Replies

• thebaddplace
    thebaddplace Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I also am a nurse who works nightshift too. I usually bring soup to eat for my 0400 break and a fruit with yogurt. I also eat when I get home at 8 and then have a usual supper with my family at 6 after waking. The first day switching over is always a little challenging to stay within my calorie limit and sometimes I go over as I sacrifice having some sleep before work instead of working out.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Night shift nurse here too. I have found bring snacks to keep in my locker helps. And I always try and pack a healthy lunch too. I know I like sweet things so I brought mini ice cream sandwiches for the freezer. I know if I don't have something sweet I will end up going to that cafe and getting something way worse. What time do you usually take your lunch? Just wondering
  • Mkbuus1
    Mkbuus1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Seriously: 12 hours shift is a struggle...12 hour night shift is harder....12 hour night shift as a nurse UGH: Dang near impossible right?! Seriously I get it. I’m 30 and have kids and have been working nights for 10 years.
    Aside from knowing I don’t sleep ENOUGH (but really trying 🤞🏼) I realize I don’t eat enough either. Then you find yourself binging at 2 am...Provided you even get a break 😉
    I have found over the years, a lot of munchy cravings are from just being tired. I think it’s a way to “keep you going”. However a lot of go-to snacks available or delivery services are ALLLL CARBs. If you can, I try to pack numerous snacks to pick away at. However this does mean some preemptive plans. And I mean a 15 minute run to the grocery store pfft! Easy. I like some of these.
    Carrot sticks ( with ranch or guacamole ?)
    Apple slices
    Grapes
    Berries (raz,blue, black, straw)
    Dehydrated fruits
    Celery (and peanut butter!)
    Trail mixes
    Nuts
    Popcorn
    Water
    Water
    Water
    Water!!!
    Soups
    Protein shakes
    Beef sticks/jerky

Basically any thing carb heavy OR SUGAR is a big thing to try to avoid. I do like fruits but yes they are loaded with sugar. Meh. Could be eating M&Ms right?
    Or if you have to m&ms. There’s always a lot of hallway space to do lunges up and down 💪🏼
  • mannfresh215
    mannfresh215 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Night shift X-ray Tech. I deal with the same problem I do 12 hrs 4on 3off never enough sleep, when am not working am raising my 2 yr old son. I only thing I can suggest would all of water, yogurts, fruit and track every meal as beat as you can after a couple week. It will be like clock work. Water water
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I work in a bar and don't get home till about 6 or 7 am. If it's crazy busy and I don't have time to have a proper dinner (I start work at 5pm) I make sure I have a banana or a protein bar with me to keep me going.

My problem is I end up eating at 7 in the morning, right before I go to bed and I think that's one of the reason I gained weight. :s

If you're lucky enough to get a break, make sure you pack some healthy snacks. Personally, I'd go for greek yogurt, raw vegetables and hummus, fruit and almond butter, avocado and rice cakes, or any leftovers you have from the day before. Get enough protein during the day so you'll feel full for longer and drink plenty of water, green tea also helps!