How to find accurate info for home made tamale masa dough?

Options
mckenzz
mckenzz Posts: 1 Member
I can never find info about prepared corn mass dough for the home made tamales. The tamales are stuffed with seasoned shredded chicken so I can calculate the number on the chicken by weight but can’t figure out the dough. Does anyone have this info?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Did you try using MFP’s recipe builder?
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Are you using fresh mesa or dried mesa flour? The calories should be on the package of mesa flour, but I'm not sure if your using fresh.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I'd highly recommend using the recipe builder, it's probably my most favorite MFP tool.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    as was said, use the recipe builder.

now i want tamales
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    You have to use the recipe builder, as when you make the masa at home the lard increase or decrease can be dictated by the humidity and consistency of the masa (dry).
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I love the recipe feature on here. I recently discovered it and have been using it a lot! It's a lot easier than looking at my spinach and feta stuffed turkey burger and wondering how many ounces of feta is in that piece :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Here's a link to the old (and superior) recipe builder: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/calculator

To find system entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and plug that into MFP.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Are you making the dough or is someone making it for you?
    As others have suggested I would create a recipe using the recipe builder.