I love food

Options
rachcamp8
rachcamp8 Posts: 13 Member
It's true. I love it. All kinds. I'm not picky and have no stop button until I am ill. Which is why I am here, logging everything I eat so I can see it. It is working because I am ashamed when I binge. My goal is to lose 50lbs. If you have any helpful motivational things to keep me going, please do. What has worked for me in the past is these rules....
Nothing white except fat free cottage cheese or egg whites.
No eating after 5pm.
Calorie counting to 1200/day
I am allowed to eat as many raw veggies or fruits as I want, plain.

What do you think? I am a stress eater, so when the going gets rough you'll find me eating. Nonstop.
Ugh.
Good luck to all of you who are trying!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have never had such strict rules, and I actually had to loosen up mine, and setting better personal boundaries, in order to maintain weight (losing has never been a problem, I too accumulated 50 extra pounds). This new approach, with the encouragement by MFP, actually lead to a love of food, instead of what I believed was love of food, that in reality was fear of food. My tastebuds have evolved, things I used to think tasted too strong or boring, have nuances that I truly enjoy now, I have almost become a food snob; this means that I won't just eat anything because it's there. So now I eat anything I want, but I don't consistently overeat, I eat regular meals, spread out 3-4 hours apart, mostly. I eat generous amounts of fat, so I crave vegetables. I have always loved fruit, but now I eat them every day, instead of gorging myself a couple of times per year or so. I work on handling emotions in a kind and self-loving way, not with food.
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    It is tough to recommend or not recommend something as everyone is different. Calories in vs. calories out (CICO) is the way you gain or lose weight, so if you believe that the no white, nothing after 5, calorie counting and unlimited veggies/fruit will work... then good on you! But you have to remember that veggies and fruit have calories and you CAN gain wait from them if you eat more calories than you burn.

Just keep in mind, it sounds like you've done this before but you are back here (as many of us are). The definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting different results. Perhaps it is better if you try something new.

For me, it was changing how I view food. I don't look at it as something delicious, something that is a reward or something to punish myself about if I eat too much. I look at it as if it is fuel, because in reality... that is what it is! If you can change your view and relationship with food, it is easier to not use it as something you do when stressed and easier to cut things out when you don't need them. Doesn't mean food can't still be delicious, but it shouldn't be the reason you eat it.

As far as stress, find something else to do when the going gets rough. Go on a walk, go to the gym, do some push ups, do burpees. ANYTHING else except eating (or smoking or drinking or drugs or...)

Best wishes to you!
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I actually went the other direction and experimented to find a way to eat within my comfort zone while controlling the calories. Flexibility over rigidness. Adequate nutrition is always important for overall health but calories are what count for weight loss.

I love food too. Slowing down to appreciate each bite, rather than eating distractedly so that I barely tasted the food, has made the most difference. Stressful times mean a walk now for me rather than grazing for food.

I keep my mouth busy all day and don't have a specific time when I stop eating. I drink tea between meals to fill time and space out my calories. I eat many of my calories late in the day and have a snack right before bed.

I eat much less bread than I used to do but that's just because I'd rather spend my calories elsewhere. I rarely eat fruit for the same reason. I eat larger portions of veggies and smaller portions of calorie-dense items than I used to do. I aim for 80% of my calories from nutrient-dense foods and 20% from treats.

I lost ~145 pounds this way and have been maintaining for 6ish months.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    How long did those rules work for you in the past and are they your rules.

I don't follow dieting rules or regulations, especially those created by someone selling me their diet plan. After following those rules did you fall back into eating your favorite foods. Did you find lasting weight stability following someone else's bias about food.

How about giving yourself permission to eat what you really like all of the time. Reasonable restriction and not overrestriction. Track your portions/calories and pay as you go. Allow yourself to have what you really like. There's no way I could hang with egg whites or FF CC for any length of time.

Why not do something completely different this time. You'll have a much better chance of getting there and staying there if you'll reframe your thinking and eating with something that resembles your favorites. Finding true freedom with food is not allowing someone else's bias to become the basis for our thinking about food.

Diet foods = Dieting. Doing and eating things we don't want to do in the name of weight loss is the recipe for eating all back. This time, make it all your own. See if it doesn't break these cycles for you.

• rachcamp8
    Options
    The problem is I really love all food, healthy or not. I made those restrictions because I did it long ago and it got me to be where I wanted, but you nailed it...no sustainability. I just have a hard time when stuff happens like holidays, family visiting, vacation, camping, etc. I like the idea of having things I love but I also know I can't stop once I start. If I have a bowl of potato salad, I will have the hamburger, the chips or whatever else is on the table because I have already lost. I seem to default to comfort food in events or with family. My whole family is overweight and I am actually the smallest woman. We just make a lot and eat a lot of food. It has always been our life. What's for dinner is the most important issue every morning since I can remember.
    How exactly did you guys change your perception of food as fuel? I have heard that before but I guess I dont necessarily feel different based on what I eat unless I am dieting, when I feel lighter or better about myself.
    Thank you for all your help.
  • rachcamp8
    Options
    clobern80 wrote: »
    It is tough to recommend or not recommend something as everyone is different. Calories in vs. calories out (CICO) is the way you gain or lose weight, so if you believe that the no white, nothing after 5, calorie counting and unlimited veggies/fruit will work... then good on you! But you have to remember that veggies and fruit have calories and you CAN gain wait from them if you eat more calories than you burn.

Just keep in mind, it sounds like you've done this before but you are back here (as many of us are). The definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting different results. Perhaps it is better if you try something new.

For me, it was changing how I view food. I don't look at it as something delicious, something that is a reward or something to punish myself about if I eat too much. I look at it as if it is fuel, because in reality... that is what it is! If you can change your view and relationship with food, it is easier to not use it as something you do when stressed and easier to cut things out when you don't need them. Doesn't mean food can't still be delicious, but it shouldn't be the reason you eat it.

As far as stress, find something else to do when the going gets rough. Go on a walk, go to the gym, do some push ups, do burpees. ANYTHING else except eating (or smoking or drinking or drugs or...)

Best wishes to you!

How did you change your perspective seeing food as fuel? I have heard that before, but I dont really feel different based on the food I eat, unless I over eat, in which I feel ashamed because I know I will not like myself in the mirror.
    Thanks for your advice!
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    rachcamp8 wrote: »

Best wishes to you!

How did you change your perspective seeing food as fuel? I have heard that before, but I dont really feel different based on the food I eat, unless I over eat, in which I feel ashamed because I know I will not like myself in the mirror.
    Thanks for your advice!

Honestly, I am not sure exactly what "clicked" inside my head this time. I used to think "Oh, I am dieting so I can't eat that." or "I want to be healthy and if I eat that, it is a bad thing." In these situations, I would end up failing. But now, I just think "I need a certain amount of calories to fuel my body. I can choose to eat this, that, that or that and no matter what, my body is fueled. Then I decide which of those things I want, and eat it. I don't crave anything, don't think about food, sometimes even have to remind myself to eat. I wish I could tell people how to make this change, but it is just something I sort of set my mind to and it happened lol
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    The problem is I really love all food, healthy or not. I made those restrictions because I did it long ago and it got me to be where I wanted, but you nailed it...no sustainability. I just have a hard time when stuff happens like holidays, family visiting, vacation, camping, etc. I like the idea of having things I love but I also know I can't stop once I start. If I have a bowl of potato salad, I will have the hamburger, the chips or whatever else is on the table because I have already lost. I seem to default to comfort food in events or with family. My whole family is overweight and I am actually the smallest woman. We just make a lot and eat a lot of food. It has always been our life. What's for dinner is the most important issue every morning since I can remember.
    How exactly did you guys change your perception of food as fuel? I have heard that before but I guess I dont necessarily feel different based on what I eat unless I am dieting, when I feel lighter or better about myself.
    "All or nothing" thinking catches a lot of people. It takes practice and concentration but you can move past it.

Each bite is a decision all by itself and has no impact on whether or not you decide to take the next bite. Eating some of one thing doesn't have to lead to eating a lot of everything. If you have a flat tire, you don't get out and slash the other three. You fix the flat and keep going.

Each bite is a decision and not a moral victory or failing. You aren't "good" or "bad" based upon what you put into your mouth.

At events where you eat a lot, fill up on low calorie items and have small bites of high calorie items here and there. What goes into your mouth is up to you. Don't let others bully you into trying this or that if you don't want to do so. You have a calorie budget and you don't want to waste your calories on things you don't really want.
  • rachcamp8
    Options

Best wishes to you!

Thanks for your advice!

Honestly, I am not sure exactly what "clicked" inside my head this time. I used to think "Oh, I am dieting so I can't eat that." or "I want to be healthy and if I eat that, it is a bad thing." In these situations, I would end up failing. But now, I just think "I need a certain amount of calories to fuel my body. I can choose to eat this, that, that or that and no matter what, my body is fueled. Then I decide which of those things I want, and eat it. I don't crave anything, don't think about food, sometimes even have to remind myself to eat. I wish I could tell people how to make this change, but it is just something I sort of set my mind to and it happened lol

Yes. It sounds magical! I look forward to the day I have to remind myself to eat! Good for you and your success!
  • rachcamp8
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    "All or nothing" thinking catches a lot of people. It takes practice and concentration but you can move past it.

Each bite is a decision all by itself and has no impact on whether or not you decide to take the next bite. Eating some of one thing doesn't have to lead to eating a lot of everything. If you have a flat tire, you don't get out and slash the other three. You fix the flat and keep going.

Each bite is a decision and not a moral victory or failing. You aren't "good" or "bad" based upon what you put into your mouth.

At events where you eat a lot, fill up on low calorie items and have small bites of high calorie items here and there. What goes into your mouth is up to you. Don't let others bully you into trying this or that if you don't want to do so. You have a calorie budget and you don't want to waste your calories on things you don't really want.

"Each bite is a decision all by itself and has no impact on whether or not you decide to take the next bite. Eating some of one thing doesn't have to lead to eating a lot of everything. If you have a flat tire, you don't get out and slash the other three. You fix the flat and keep going."

This is absolutely moving. I will maybe get a tattoo of a flat tire on my wrist to remind me of the analogy. Not sure how work will like it, but seriously it is so true.
    Thank you!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    It's true. I love it. All kinds. I'm not picky and have no stop button until I am ill. Which is why I am here, logging everything I eat so I can see it. It is working because I am ashamed when I binge. My goal is to lose 50lbs. If you have any helpful motivational things to keep me going, please do. What has worked for me in the past is these rules....
    No eating after 5pm.

What do you think? I am a stress eater, so when the going gets rough you'll find me eating. Nonstop.
    Ugh.

Nothing white? What about vanilla yogurt or skyr? Siggi's Skyr has 110 calories and 15g protein with minimal sugar. Cauliflower is white. Low carb tortillas are white (and delicious!)

1,200 x day is quite minimal. Are you very petite? That's what MFP always tries to set me at for a deficit and I'm 4'11".

Raw veggies and fruits still have calories, and if you're eating that strict with a 1,200 cal intake, then you should probably log them. A cup of strawberries has about 100 calories. A banana has about 110 calories. An apple can be anywhere from 80 to 125. Eat too much of it and you'll put yourself over without even realizing it.
  • rachcamp8
    Options
    No eating after 5pm.

Ugh.

Nothing white? What about vanilla yogurt or skyr? Siggi's Skyr has 110 calories and 15g protein with minimal sugar. Cauliflower is white. Low carb tortillas are white (and delicious!)

1,200 x day is quite minimal. Are you very petite? That's what MFP always tries to set me at for a deficit and I'm 4'11".

Raw veggies and fruits still have calories, and if you're eating that strict with a 1,200 cal intake, then you should probably log them. A cup of strawberries has about 100 calories. A banana has about 110 calories. An apple can be anywhere from 80 to 125. Eat too much of it and you'll put yourself over without even realizing it.

I guess my nothing white means ice cream, mayo. Sour cream, white bread...
    I do log fruit, but I feel like if I tell myself I can have SOMETHING it's better than saying I'm not allowed anything.
    I'm not petite at all. I'm 5'8" and muscular. I am a naturally "heavy" person so at 180 I wear a size 8 and look like a swimmer or athlete. That is 50lbs away.
    At 180 I am not in need of blood pressure medicine and feel very healthy. That is my ultimate goal.
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    Honestly, I am not sure exactly what "clicked" inside my head this time. I used to think "Oh, I am dieting so I can't eat that." or "I want to be healthy and if I eat that, it is a bad thing." In these situations, I would end up failing. But now, I just think "I need a certain amount of calories to fuel my body. I can choose to eat this, that, that or that and no matter what, my body is fueled. Then I decide which of those things I want, and eat it. I don't crave anything, don't think about food, sometimes even have to remind myself to eat. I wish I could tell people how to make this change, but it is just something I sort of set my mind to and it happened.

@clobern80, if you could bottle this you would be a multi-zillionaire.
  • Diatonic12
    Options

@seska422 "All or nothing" thinking catches a lot of people. It takes practice and concentration but you can move past it.

All or Nothing. Good or Bad. Naughty or Nice. Clean or Dirty Eating.

I blew it today so I might as well go fully in on a thrill eating lallapalooza. Moderator or abstainer, all or nothing dieting discourse. You can move past it and when you do you can let dieting and all that entails eat your dust.