Been Losing Weight, Still Need to Lose a Gut

Options
Hi MFP, it's been a while since I posted, but I wanted to get your opinion on something:

What is the best way to "target" weight loss in the gut? I've lost 50+ lbs over the past year, but now I have a lot of flabby skin and my stomach and chest is still a problem area.

I've read before that you can't target an area to lose fat, but it seems likely that you can target areas to tone. I've been riding an exercise bike as often as I can (light/moderate effort; at least 20 mins a day), but it still feels like it's barely removing any weight from my biggest problem areas.

Would toning help slim down my stomach? Another problem area is the backs of my upper arms. What are your go to methods to reducing the fat in these areas?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    "toning" won't help slim down your midsection...as you stated, you can't spot reduce fat. The midsection is for the vast majority of males, primary fat stores...it's a first on, last off thing. My last 10 Lbs was mostly belly.

I put on about 10 Lbs every winter and I go from having a flat midsection and no love handles to a bit of a spare tire and I workout fairly religiously.
  • Skelders88
    Skelders88 Posts: 37 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    "toning" won't help slim down your midsection...as you stated, you can't spot reduce fat. The midsection is for the vast majority of males, primary fat stores...it's a first on, last off thing. My last 10 Lbs was mostly belly.

I put on about 10 Lbs every winter and I go from having a flat midsection and no love handles to a bit of a spare tire and I workout fairly religiously.

That's what I thought. Thanks for that!

As far as flabby skin, like on the back of my arms, do you think weight lifting would help that?

malibu927 wrote: »

This is a great post with a few good resources. Thank you!