How many calories in a Mars Bar???

Options
gtakata
gtakata Posts: 1 Member
t4go7eeevk93.jpg

I just went to check how many calories are in a 52g Mars Bar in the Food Section of this website. I was shocked (and excited) to see that it was 50 calories!! Reality set in to find out that the Nutritional Facts on wrapper said that there are actually 240 calories in a 52g Mars Bar.

Anyone want a chocolate bar? :disappointed:

Can you please change your figures in the Food Section so others are not as disappointed as me?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    gtakata wrote: »
    t4go7eeevk93.jpg

I just went to check how many calories are in a 52g Mars Bar in the Food Section of this website. I was shocked (and excited) to see that it was 50 calories!! Reality set in to find out that the Nutritional Facts on wrapper said that there are actually 240 calories in a 52g Mars Bar.

Anyone want a chocolate bar? :disappointed:

Can you please change your figures in the Food Section so others are not as disappointed as me?

The numbers on the database are lately user entered. You can change the entry yourself or look for an accurate one. Unfortunately, there are many incorrect entries, so I highly recommend checking each as you log them. Over time, you will get a list of entries you trust on your "most recent" list.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Yes, you do have to be careful with user-created entries for labeled foods. I always double check these against the package.

For system entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database, plug that into MFP, and check for weird decimal errors.

I tried a few different ways to find the 50 calorie Mars Bars entry. The only one that came close was a 60 cal entry that included Mini and 13 g.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    You can always google the product and see the label online if you do not have it.
  • shoofly435
    shoofly435 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Did you really think there were only 50 calories in that?

Exactly.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I try to eat mostly foods without labels, but when I do, you can be darn sure that I'm checking the NI before I even take my first bite. That said, I will reiterate what the others have said -- the data base is mostly user entered, so the information is not really fact checked by anyone at MFP. If you can't find an item that matches the label that you are holding in your hand, either correct the corresponding entry, or do a new entry yourself with the correct information.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    really?! :huh:
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    My observation is that people create foods for themselves, tweaking the nutrition information for their own goals, then make it public, instead of keeping it private.

My recent experience was with a protein bar that I eat often. When looking over my nutrition, it looked like I was eating lower carb, which was surprising since I feel my best eating higher. I eventually started double checking entries, and what do you know, the bar was entered as net carbs, which dropped it to around 5 (and the total calories was off by 10). On days where I ate more than one I was logging only 10 grams of carbs when I was actually eating around 60. It made a really big difference in my macros. :/
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    did you really think there was 50 calories in a full size candy bar?

dollars to donuts it as a user entry that didnt specify it as for one of those MINI bars (like you pass out at halloween). and it was incorrect on top of it all.

Even the mini bars are 80-100 calories.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    did you really think there was 50 calories in a full size candy bar?

dollars to donuts it as a user entry that didnt specify it as for one of those MINI bars (like you pass out at halloween). and it was incorrect on top of it all.

Even the mini bars are 80-100 calories.

which was why i said 'and it was incorrect on top of it all.' lol
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    And to add to the confusion-
    Different countries make the same packaged item but with slightly different ingredients making the calorie and macro info country dependant.

Cheers, h.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Did you really think there were only 50 calories in that?

If it was I'm picking up a case in 5 minutes!