Changing/Evolving Weigh and Fitness Goals

Options
So I've been thinking about goals a lot lately, in no small part because I'm starting to feel like what I want out of the process has been changing. Rightly, I'm still pretty new to all of it, but since Feb mine have changed a couple times. I'm kind of curious how other peoples have changed along the way.

For me, I started around 230 lbs with absolutely no clue, but 200 sounded like a better number so that was my goal.

A month or two later I started working out at home and i guess researching, decided 180 was maybe a better spot, and look better, feel better kind of really became the driving force.

Now a little over 2 months of working out, I'm nearly 20 lbs down. I just came out of a 2 weeks scale plateau that really had me paying attention to how my body was changing during that time. Apart from a small concern if I see 214.4 on my scale again a padded cell may be in my future, I'm kind of really feeling the pull to change up my routine, or add additional focus. I'm not 100% sure where its headed yet, but I want to do more. Probably should do more of that cardio thing too... but the pull is much much weaker on that end lol.

Anyways, anyone else find themselves with goals you wouldn't have even looked at a few months ago? Or just changing/adding goals along the way?

Replies

• SagePeach
    SagePeach Posts: 37 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I've been at this for over 6 years now (5 years of that in maintenance) and my goals have changed/been adjusted a lot over the years. I've had different weight goals, fitness goals, food/nutrition goals etc. All of them have given me something to focus on and keeps me from getting bored, which leads to laziness and adherence failure. I believe having goals is a crucial part in making this whole thing sustainable, long term :)
  • ghostband
    ghostband Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Congratz on 6 years! I guess that really is the trick. Find something that keeps your mind engaged.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My weight goal changed as it was pretty much a stab in the dark (I'd been overweight for 20 years).
    Not surprisingly I wasn't as lean or muscular in my fifties as I had been at the same weight in my 20's/30's.
    Nibbled off a few extra pounds below my original goal weight in a series of steps of losing and maintaining. How I felt and looked were my guides.

Later took off a bit more weight as I took my cycling more seriously.

Then after a while I raised my weight goal back up a bit as when I got leaner (added muscle/lost fat, AKA recomp) I also got hungrier.

My fitness/strength/training goals constantly evolve as I tick one off I move the bar up or change focus to a new one.

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I am constantly adding goals, my overall weight target hasn't changed but I have broken it down into smaller chunks. I am less concerned about the deadline than I once was, and now prefer to just see progress in the right direction and work on my fitness, I set myself a "Countdown Challenge" each month, since last November. Like this one: