Fitbit calories burned

Options
Mfp and the monitor on my stationery bike both indicate about 270 calories for 25 min. My fitbit says 60!!! Which do I go by?

Replies

• conker6g9holla
    conker6g9holla Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Go with the Fitbit and put in some more work lol
    Looking for progress not accuracy lmao
    No but for real the Fitbit is wrong. U did more then 60. I’m thinking about getting a I watch they work better without u having to worry
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about a FitBit estimate of exercise that you logged, and it said 60 cals burned? Or are you saying you see a 60 cal adjustment from FitBit on MFP with nothing logged? Or did you log it in MFP and then the rationalization between FitBit and MFP shows a 60 cal adjustment including the logged exercise?
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Are you talking about a FitBit estimate of exercise that you logged, and it said 60 cals burned? Or are you saying you see a 60 cal adjustment from FitBit on MFP with nothing logged? Or did you log it in MFP and then the rationalization between FitBit and MFP shows a 60 cal adjustment including the logged exercise?

^^^This

Also what are your stats? Age, height, weight? That will determine calories burned too. And what pace you were going on the bike as well.

I know for me I burned 250 calories tonight according to Fitbit for a 1hr Jazzercize class. If I did 25min at a moderate pace on an indoor bike I would expect under 100 cals burned. My Fitbit has been pretty accurate.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Well and the part that a lot of people don’t understand is that FitBit doesn’t just give you credit for exercise. It’s an activity tracker measuring all your activity and calories burned from the day including BMR, daily activity and exercise. The adjustments represent the difference between what MFP thinks you’d burn based on the stats you enter and activity level you select, and what FitBit says you burned with all your activity. Positive adjustments just mean that you’ve burned more in total than MFP estimated you would - it doesn’t mean you only burned 60 cals from that workout.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    This is why I couldn't do FitBit. It estimated everything way too low. My TDEE is higher than what FB was giving me credit for. Actually, the TDEE of a wounded spider might be close to what FB said mine was, but I was confident I burned more than what it gave me credit for just by being alive. I thought it was due to my hypotension. Do you find that FitBit's calculation of your TDEE is generally accurate? If so, you may have to just go with that.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    How could a fitbit be accurate on a stationary bike? You aren't moving your arms much.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Well and the part that a lot of people don’t understand is that FitBit doesn’t just give you credit for exercise. It’s an activity tracker measuring all your activity and calories burned from the day including BMR, daily activity and exercise. The adjustments represent the difference between what MFP thinks you’d burn based on the stats you enter and activity level you select, and what FitBit says you burned with all your activity. Positive adjustments just mean that you’ve burned more in total than MFP estimated you would - it doesn’t mean you only burned 60 cals from that workout.

Exactly. I check the actual Fitbit app to see what it says I burned during a workout. My adjustment for the day was around 600 on here from Fitbit for around 9k steps and an hour class, but my Fitbit exercise log gave me 253 cals and 40 “active” minutes for a 1hr Jazzercize class in the Fitbit app

I still can’t imagine burning 270 for less than half an hour on a bike.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    My calories burned in 25 min on the bike was 60 according to Fitbit. According to MFP and the bike monitor the calories burned were 270. My fitbit was also acting weird later on in the night and wouldnt sync so I've got a new one I'm going to try today.