How do I successfully start tracking my Macros?

Options
ars09
ars09 Posts: 1 Member
edited June 2018 in Food and Nutrition
People always give me a general answer when I ask how to track my macros, “find a macro calculator online and go from there”. Well... ok... but what about the fact that I have no idea what foods will meet those goals and what foods to turn to when I have to finish out my day. I am ready to take this seriously, I have a goal to hit for my 10 yr anniversary trip in April. Can anyone explain to me in more depth how to be successful? Oh! And I don’t eat dairy :)

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Start by logging what you eat now. That will give you data with which to work. Logging a typical week will show you if you tend to run behind on protein or fat so that you can increase your intake by eating foods with higher percentages of those macros.

In the ballpark is fine for your macros so don't try to hit them exactly. You want to eat at least enough protein and fat. Beyond that, your macro split is up to what works best for you. I aim for the MFP default of 20% protein, 30% fat, and 50% carbs.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I mostly worked by trial and error. Preplan your days. Get a feel for the macro split for foods you like. Read lots of labels at the grocery store. Google lists of food for whichever macros you're short on. Adjust adjust adjust.
  • maryvalekingz602
    maryvalekingz602 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This is what I have used:

https://www.iamalpham.com/index.php/topics/the-alpha-m-diet-plan/

I like this because it gives you options. And to figure out the macros, simply scan the barcode of the product using your MFP app. Don’t know how? Go to diary, add food, and there will be a barcode symbol on the right (iphone)

So next time you’re at the grocery store, look for these products and scan. I personally do chicken, deli turkey, veggies, apples, raspberries, and brown rice whole grain.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I aim for at least 0.8g of protein per lb of bodyweight - or over 100g per day and 25% of my cals. After that it's trial and error, I have learnt that a decent amount of fat keeps me full, so it usually works out as 35% of my cals. And then carbs the rest.
  • 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    This link below gives you an idea of which foods fall into which macro category in what amount

As a general rule:
    Animal products (meat and eggs) = protein +fat
    Grain/starchy products = carbs and protein
    Green Veges = carbs and protein
    Fats = fats

Things such as dairy (which you don’t eat) nuts and vegetarian proteins (chickpeas and such) tend to cover all the categories in differing amounts :-)

http://eattoperform.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Eat-To-Perform-Grocery-List.pdf