Most filling soup?

Options
applesforanna
applesforanna Posts: 16 Member
Want to incorporate soups into my diet more, especially for lunches. Anybody have some good soup recipes? I’m a little picky but I like anything based with chicken. And I like most beans except black beans.

Replies

• ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Anything with a lot of fiber and protein is going to be filling. Try Indian or Mediterranean soups based on lentils, which are delicious. You can add lots of veggies and spices to make it satisfying, and even meat.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    My grandpa used to make the best Great Northern Beans soup:

GRANDPA RV’S ORIGINAL GREAT NORTHERN BEAN SOUP

Ingredients:

• 1 pound Great Northern beans
    • 1 large diced onion
    • 2 sliced celery stalks
    • 3 sliced carrots
    • 1 ham steak, ½” diced, plus bone
    • 2 bay leaves
    • 2 bullion cubes
    • Salt & Pepper to taste (when serving)

Directions:

Soak the Great Northern beans overnight, rinse them, then put in a large soup pot. Add remaining ingredients and add water until it’s 3” above ingredients. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium and cook for 2 hours.

Remove bay leaves and bone. Add salt & pepper to taste.
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/olive-garden-copycat-zuppa-toscana-38298

This is delicious and very filling, around 400 cals/serving depending on what ingredients you use.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Posted this earlier today....

Made this last night and it was excellent. Wanted to share the recipe and stats on it.
    I doubled everything to make a large batch so my husband and I can have lunches the next few days!

1lb sweet potato peeled and chopped
    1 large red onion chopped
    2 cloves garlic minced
    1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thights
    1 links Cajun style chicken sausage, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
    1 can no-sal added fire-roasted diced tomatoes
    3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    2 5oz packages of baby spinach

Place potatoes, onion and garlic in slow cooker
    place chicken and sausage on top of veggies
    add tomatoes and broth
    cover and cook on low for 6 hours (I did 8 b/c I'm gone all day at work)
    shred chicken and stir in spinach before serving

makes 6 servings (I made 12 servings by doubling everything)

Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months

Nutrition:
    calories 300
    fat 8
    sat fat 0
    protein 31
    carb 25
    fiber 5
    sodium 790
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    Dutch split pea soup is pretty filling. It freezes well.
    https://stuffdutchpeoplelike.com/2015/03/15/dutch/

I make another basic lentil soup that is quite filling and less calorific than the pork laden classic dutch split pea soup.

Fry a finely diced large onion in some olive oil until translucent. Add a few diced tomatoes, skin, seeds and all and continue to fry. Toss in a large handful of split orange lentils, a litre of stock of or water with a stock cube. Boil about 25 minutes until lentils are tender. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and other additions such as lemon juice, curry powder, sriracha sauce, dried herbes de provence (but not all together).
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Big soup fan! Here's a few of our family's favorites (sorry about the layout- I just pasted from my blog):

Minestrone

1 large onion

2 stalks celery

3 carrots

2 tsp minced garlic

1 TB oil

6 cups water

5 tsp beef boullion

1 28 oz can diced tomatoes

2 cups chopped cabbage

1 tsp oregano

1tsp basil

salt & pepper to taste

1-2 cups chopped zucchini

1 can red beans

2-3 oz elbow macaroni

Saute onion & celery in oil, adding carrots & garlic the last couple of minutes. Add through the seasonings, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover & simmer for 40 minutes. Add more water/broth as needed. Add zucchini, beans & macaroni and cook another 15-20 minutes, or until macaroni is tender. We like ours with shredded sharp cheddar.

10 servings, 130 calories/serving.

Faux Zuppa Toscana (Olive Garden)

1/4-1/2 lb Italian sausage (I like Hillshire Farms. Would be even lighter if made with an Italian turkey sausage.)

1 large onion, chopped

2 tsp minced garlic

48 oz low sodium chicken broth

3-4 large russets, unpeeled, quartered and sliced 1/4" thick

1 12 oz can 2% or fat free evaporated milk

3-4 cups chopped kale

salt & pepper to taste

Brown the sausage & onion, drain. Add garlic 1 minute. Add broth & potatoes, cover and simmer 6-7 minutes or until tender (don't overcook). Stir in milk, kale, and seasonings- heat through. 8 servings (about 1 cup), 237 calories/serving prepared with 4 medium potatoes and 2% evap. milk.

Cheesy Ham and Wild Rice Soup

4 stalks celery, chopped

4 carrots, shredded or chopped

1 large onion

1/4 cup butter

1/3 cup flour

1/2 tsp pepper

1 can fat free evaporated milk

1/2 cup skim milk

8 oz 2% Velveeta

8-10 oz diced ham

1/2 cup dry wild rice

2/3 cup dry long grain rice

8 cups low sodium chicken broth or 8 cups water + 3 TB chicken bouillon

Prepare rice according to package instructions. If you chopped the carrots, precook them in microwave with water for 7 minutes. Saute onion & celery in butter until soft. Add shredded carrot or cooked carrots for 2 minutes. Add flour & pepper, stir & cook a minute. Add milks, stir and bring to boil + 2 minutes. Lower heat and add cheese, stirring until melted. Add the rest and heat through. 12 generous (1 1/2 cup) servings.

• wumph
    wumph Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just made a lovely frugal soup, in Soup Maker but could be done in pan. Chopped up the leaves and stalk from a previously eaten cauliflower, 3 small bendy parsnips, 1 small bendy carrot, 2 cubes - one chicken and 1 veg. I have a jar of garlic cloves in a sort of brine which has been in cupboard for a couple of years, I usually use the Easy garlic so put 3 of those in as I am trying to clear cupboards. This time I put 2 brown onions for some extra taste. Water to the min+ mark and off we go. It was smooth but as it had the parsnips it made it quite a thick soup and there is enough for at least 2 mare lunches. If I was still a worker would be ideal for pack ups.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    My mother makes Sante Fe Stew and it is unbelievably filling. Hers is a weight watcher recipe, but this one is pretty similar. Just don't add the black beans.

https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1292024
  • wumph
    wumph Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For dinner last night I used a packet of chicken noodles with the little seasoning pack in, plenty of chopped up salad stuff, spring onions,chopped lettuce, red pepper, yellow pepper, coriander (I omitted as do not like) and some lime juice (bottled), peel if using fresh, Mix all salad, add to noodles and then a tin of hot sauce mackerel.
    I am not really fishy but it was very good and there enough for tonight too. I only used a quarter of the mackerel - another will go on fresh tonight. The other 200 grams have been used for toast lunches Sunday and Monday. All good and reasonably low cal.
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Homemade chicken and rice soup is great and filling. All you need is a rotisserie chicken (meat and bones separated) and some veggie odds and ends.

For the stock:
    1. Sautee about a cup of chopped celery, carrots, and onion in a large stockpot/rice cooker/slow cooker (great use for those inner ribs of celery/leftover onion and carrot bits)
    2. Add in water, chicken carcass (wings, spine/bones, and other skin/cartilaginous bits from a rotisserie chicken), and whatever spices you like (peppercorns, dried chilis, thyme, etc)
    3. Simmer until rich and fragrant, usually a day or so. You know you've done a good job if the stock gels up when cool.

To assemble, add chicken meat from the rotisserie chicken, some brown rice/barley, and the stock. I also like to add some blanched kale and lemon juice.

• dechowj
    dechowj Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I love Country Beef and Green Pepper Soup.

2 TBSP olive oil
    1 lb ground beef
    2 diced green peppers
    1 diced onion
    1 large can diced tomatoes
    1 can cut green beans
    1 can corn
    3 cups beef broth
    2 tsp oregano
    salt and pepper to taste

1. Brown and drain the beef. Set aside.
    2. In a large soup pot, heat the oil. Add the peppers and onion and cook until the edged start to brown (about 10 minutes).
    3. Add everything too the pot and bring to a boil.
    4. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until veggies are tender.

My husband eats it like this, but I add a small dash of balsamic vinegar to my bowl.
  • jessieknh
    jessieknh Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste turkey taco chili soup is delicious and very filling. If you google it, it should come up.
  • ChefAbs
    ChefAbs Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The Signature Cafe Fiesta Chicken Soup ( from Safeway/Von's) is tasty and low fat. I kick-it-up with a splash (or 10) of Sriracha sauce.