Zumba

Options
Good morning! Does anyone know how many calories burned in an hour of Zumba or where/how to find it on the exercise database? Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• NancLH4
    NancLH4 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I use the aerobic exercise figures...then renamed it for zumba. You could use high or low impact depending on how hard you zumba.
  • anndiva
    anndiva Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found this website zumbacalories.com seems to be pretty accurate, at least for me. Its worth a shot. Good luck. Zumba is a blast : )
  • dhwatts
    dhwatts Posts: 32
    Options
    I usually just put it in as Dancing, Aerobic, ballet, or modern twist. It is actually more aerobic dance.
  • ricochette55
    ricochette55 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Sweet, I've been wondering how to figure that out - thanks!!!
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I found this website zumbacalories.com seems to be pretty accurate, at least for me. Its worth a shot. Good luck. Zumba is a blast : )

I use this !
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I got a heart rate monitor and wore it yesterday. Did Zumba and it said I burned 377 calories in 45 minutes. I checked zumbacalories just for fun and it said 700, so I would be really careful with the site.
  • theaterfan23
    theaterfan23 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I was just about to ask the same question, as I am going to do Zumba Toning this morning!
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    According to my HRM, I burn between 500-600 per hour. However, I do Zumba with a really intense instructor. The intensity of classes can be really different depending on the instructor. I've done other classes where I barely broke a sweat.
  • ilovelucy1026
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Looks like I should get a HRM. I'm going to check out the site too!
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I got a heart rate monitor and wore it yesterday. Did Zumba and it said I burned 377 calories in 45 minutes. I checked zumbacalories just for fun and it said 700, so I would be really careful with the site.

I always log it as "Medium" intensity tho just incase not high- even tho I sweat loads!

I did it yesterday and it came out as 346 for 45 mins so that sounds about right to me. There's no way it is 700 in 45 mins but u prob logged it as "high".
  • BuffTexan
    BuffTexan Posts: 270
    Options
    A lot of the calories burned has to do with your age, sex, and weight. I'm 45, 208 lbs and my HRM says I burned close to 1000 calories in 60 mins. I bust my butt, don't know hardly any of the moves, but that doesn't stop me one bit. :-)
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Nope. I checked all three levels and they were all very high. I had been using the site to estimate my calories and then eating back at least some of them, and my weight loss completely stalled. I am much more confident now that I am monitoring on my own. Even though HRMs are estimating too, it's more accurate.
  • LoveLeavesFootprints
    Options
    I generally burn 900-1100 in an hour. I have my HRM with me every time, and I occasionally cross-check it with zumbacalories.com. It always lines up pretty well, which gives me a lot of confidence. :)
  • alemj
    alemj Posts: 8
    Options
    For any "Zumba Lovers" try this wabepage (www.zumbacalories.com) and calculate your calories burned during Zumba according to the intensity of your workout, minutes and your weight
  • NancLH4
    NancLH4 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just compared the zumbacalories site with the high impact aerobics one that I use here. I get very close to the same calories burnt.
    Instructors and zumba types vary. There is Zumba Gold, water, toning, etc. Some instructors even do more of a calisthenics workout. My instructor teaches many different classes in all levels. But hers are all latin dance bases. I workout as hard as possible and give it a really good workout. I burn between 500 and 600 calories in an hour.
    There are some in my class, that never even break a sweat. But they have fun and are moving. It's pretty much up to you, how intense you want your zumba workout to be.
    Enjoy!! It's a blast!