Staying in a hotel for a month. Gym or kitchen?

Options

Replies

• lisaloumn2
    lisaloumn2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I once lived in a hotel for 3 weeks - never used the gym - go with the kitchen
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A fitness blog I wish I could find claimed you only need three items in your travel bag. A good pair of running shoes, a folding yoga mat, and your laptop. YouTube baby!

So I also vote for the kitchen to better control calories. High calorie high fat items are too easy to pick up and there never seems to be enough fruits and vegetables.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Kitchen for sure. For that amount of time I would need to have access to a kitchen/kitchennette so I can store and cook my meals.

I could try to find a park, track or trail to get in my walks and runs in and do Youtube videos and bodyweight work in my room.

Between that and my set of resistance bands I would be all set and able to workout daily.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Kitchen
    I don't normally use a gym for exercise. I can exercise anywhere.
    I cook most of my meals and enjoy cooking. I don't own a microwave or like microwaved food. A month of not cooking would not be very happy.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Split the difference. Embassy or Homewood suites
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    hotel with a gym, microwave and mini-fridge...I can totally cook just about anything with a microwave or a small steamer (which I would totally bring)...skipping my weights would be a horrible setback, but I can make the food work.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    As I travel for work and have for over 20 years, I would say get a kitchen. You can shop, prep, and cook all your own food. This will save money and make it seamless as far as staying on track with your calorie goals. You can always find a gym nearby that you can pay by visit, week, or month.

I am currently renting an apartment (employer paying rent), buy, prep, and cook my own food (employer also pays sub which covers food). I have a by the month gym membership in the town I work as well. Other than me having 2 gym memberships (1 where I work and 1 at home) it works great. ,
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Kitchen. You can always figure out how to get a good amount of exercise without a gym (or find a nearby gym and pay the daily fee) but there is no alternative if you don't have a kitchen.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Kitchen. If you really want to you can find a local gym and see about getting a one month membership
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Kitchen! I'd run outside and use a local gym or take classes.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    hotel
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    Ehh, there are pros and cons to both. Either way, I'd look for a gym to use elsewhere.

I'd want to stay in a hotel if it included breakfast, was quiet, had fast and free wifi, a shuttle service, and was in a nice area with lots of things to do. I could always eat room service, or order food in.

most hotels have breakfast that comes w the room - buffet style - but I just take my breakfast to my room or to a table outside.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Kitchen, hands down. I can run outside or work out in a tiny space if I have to, having to eat out or depend on pre-made food would be the worst.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Let's say you are staying in a hotel room for a month, out of state, away from family and friends (so lots of spare time). Which would you pick, and Airbnb with a kitchen, or a hotel with a gym, microwave and min-fridge?

I do three or four nights per week, every week, and have done for years. The hotel with kitchenette is a really good option for me.

It's about discipline, there are plenty of reasonable catering options, but access to a gym is helpful for me. Some of my hotel options give me reasonable running options easily, others are a complete nightmare.

To an extent the working day is long enough that once I've trained I've got little appetite to cook.
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Kitchen - take workout dvds with you, or do stuff off of your phone.
  • shoofly435
    shoofly435 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    George Forman grill is an awesome idea!

Or an Instant Pot?

THIS. I just recently got an Instant Pot. Meals are now so easy and fast. I love the "set it and forget it" option. You could use one in a hotel very easily. Made Morrocan Chicken a couple nights ago and it was soooooo good I couldn't believe it - and so easy/no fuss. If you don't mind eating the same thing, one Instant Pot meal could last 4 days :-D
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    depends on what you enjoy and your personality. The hotel could be less lonely and if you use a gym a lot.. you'll want that. just pack a hot plate ..or buy a cheap toaster oven at target when you get there...and you're hotel would work great.
    if you're an introvert and would want alone time, more space, full kitchen.. then do the air B&B
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Hm. Airbnbs are 45 min to 1 hr from work site. Hotels are 30 min. Still might be worth it.

Oh this would change things for me. I would decide what is more important to you..short commute to the worksite, but dealing with a kitchenette (which you have done in the past). Or longer commute with a kitchen.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Airbnb, esp of in a large urban area. As for the gym, I'm sure every gym around offers a free 7day trial membership. Just keep checking out the local gyms, one per week.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    The hotel workout rooms I've seen are pretty pathetic IMO. Get accommodations with cooking facilities and a 1 month membership at a nearby gym