Amount of exercise per week?

Options
Hi everyone, I just started calorie counting and going to the gym two weeks ago! I’m eating between 1200-1700 calories daily, up to 1900 on weekends sometimes, and exercising about 4-5 days a week. Each gym session I do 30 minutes of cardio on a stationary cycle and then do weight. My Apple Watch calculates that I burn about 350 calories per session or more. I’m always finding myself really exhausted after hitting the gym for two days in a row, to the point that I’m too tired to go on the third day. I’m 5’7, female and weigh 295 lbs currently. Do you think that I should lower my days of weight lifting to alleviate the exhaustion or do I just keep with it and should I eventually stop feeling exhausted? Any tips are appreciated!

Replies

• lsp7856
    lsp7856 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also have this struggle where I lose willpower to go hard at the gym (or even show up) after 2 days in a row, BUT I recently started paying attention to my macronutrient percentages (protein-carb-fat ratio). If you use the MFP app and go to your diary, scroll all the way down to the black Nutrition Button next to Notes. I quickly found I don't get nearly enough protein daily. Once I increased my protein intake, I feel like I have an energy level that is off the charts.

You are definitely going to the gym enough times a week, so go you! If you actually eat some protein within an hour after working out, you end up repairing some of the strain you put on your muscles and gain your energy back so you're not worn out the rest of the week. That is my tip for you! Otherwise, just change up your cardio exercises so you're not bored and dreading getting back on that bike each day!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Do you work out the same muscles each day, or are you alternating between upper body and lower? In general, your muscles need a day's break between workouts, so if you're doing full-body, it should be one day on, one day off. Or you can do Monday upper body, Tuesday lower, Wednesday upper, etc.

(Core CAN be done every day. I personally do it on upper body days only.)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Assuming your goal is weight loss, focus your efforts on hitting your calories target (1700 seems much more reasonable than 1200) and do what you can for exercise. Strength trading 3x per week is ideal.
  • NotBearyFit
    NotBearyFit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone. I alternate between different muscle groups to let them rest and repair. I’m thinking it’s just like some said that it’s difficult from going to zero to balls to the wall lol Some days I eat quite a bit less than usual because I’ll be exhausted and just sleep until the next day without eating dinner. Most days I try and eat around 1500-1700 but some days it does go well below that. I’ll try lifting 3x a week for now and see how I feel! Once I can get through that, I’ll increase it as I go!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    You're exhausted because your body isn't used to the amount of work you're doing, change is tiring. I've had it whenever I've upped my exercise amount. A few years ago (when I was training just to train, not for weightloss) I upped my Judo from 2 days a week to 4. I physically had to stop after the new sessions and pick up some energy drinks because I was genuinely worried I was going to fall asleep at the wheel on the drive home. I was so tired. After about a month I went down to only have one after the more intense session. After two months, I realised I wasn't drinking it for the energy, and stopped all together. This worked for me and I was able to push through until my body got used to it (I did the same thing recently again when I upped my mat time). But I wouldn't necessary recommend it, it's not exactly a healthy way of going about things.

Habits are hard, so if you want to get into it, you might find it easier to take it super easy on the third day. Make sure you go to the gym, but have a chill warm up, a gentle cardio, and a lighter than normal strength. Make sure you do the same amount of time you normally would, but make it less intense. And build it up over time. You'll get used to it!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Another possibility is maybe you need more sleep each day. Exercise increases the need for quality sleep.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Going from zero to training 4-5x per week is likely too much...fitness is something that is built over time. Your fitness regimen should ultimately be something that is reasonable and sustainable...you don't have to be and really shouldn't be balls to the wall all of the time.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I just started calorie counting and going to the gym two weeks ago! I’m eating between 1200-1700 calories daily, up to 1900 on weekends sometimes, and exercising about 4-5 days a week. Each gym session I do 30 minutes of cardio on a stationary cycle and then do weight. My Apple Watch calculates that I burn about 350 calories per session or more. I’m always finding myself really exhausted after hitting the gym for two days in a row, to the point that I’m too tired to go on the third day. I’m 5’7, female and weigh 295 lbs currently. Do you think that I should lower my days of weight lifting to alleviate the exhaustion or do I just keep with it and should I eventually stop feeling exhausted? Any tips are appreciated!

Where did you get 1200 calories from? That's awfully low for your stats. When I plugged them into MFP with a weekly weight loss goal of 2 pounds per week I got almost 1500 calories. And remember, that is before exercise.

I'm your height and started at a lower weight than you and got through lunch the first day when I realized 1200 calories wasn't enough for me.

Under eating can definitely lead to fatigue.

But, as others have said, ease into it rather than trying to go from 0 to 100 immediately.
  • monicabroussard9072
    monicabroussard9072 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking slimfast and exercising everyday
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I'd try a full body lifting routine 2-3x per week, alternating days with cardio in between, and then a day off. So, maybe lift M/W/F, cardio T/Th/Sat, Sunday off? Or try less to start, like 2 days on, one off...