TDEE help and slow cutting

Options
6'1, 220lbs with a goal weight of a toned 195lbs. I've never bulked before but I used to weight 285lbs, I lost a lot of muscle mass with fat in my way to 220. I've been eating at maintenance for two months whilst increasing my strength and getting 'noob gains' and now I want to keep what I have with the training I'm doing but lose the weight. I was looking for advice on my TDEE and macros please.

40:40:20. Lifting on a 5 day 5/3/1 modified program. 30 mins of cardio 5 days a week. 1 hour of Yoga twice a week.

I've put my daily calorie limit in as 2100 and I'm eating back 50% of excercise calories. As my routine is very regular I was thinking about building those excercise calories into my daily limit so I don't have to mess around logging excercise.

1) anyone else factor in their excercise and just go on a moderate activity level TDEE estimate?
2) does 2100 +50% of excercise calories sound about right to you?

Thanks in advance everyone. I feel like I'm close to success but have these doubts that I'm doing it right!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How much have you been eating for maintenance?
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options

I wasn't tracking at that point and I wasn't eating healthily either. I just maintained a steady weight whilst lifting. I wasn't doing cardio then either
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    bufger wrote: »

I wasn't tracking at that point and I wasn't eating healthily either. I just maintained a steady weight whilst lifting. I wasn't doing cardio then either

So keep eating the same and log your calories so you know what maintenance is.

Take 250 cals off that to cut slowly
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options

It's a bit more complicated than that. I'm an insulin dependant diabetic and I maintained by eating sugary things then missing insulin injections so my body went into dka and burnt fat. Not recommended and I'm getting help for it. I'm now eating clean and want to know based on the facts I've given whether it sounds like it's in the right ballpark. I'll tweak it as I go still.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

It's a bit more complicated than that. I'm an insulin dependant diabetic and I maintained by eating sugary things then missing insulin injections so my body went into dka and burnt fat. Not recommended and I'm getting help for it. I'm now eating clean and want to know based on the facts I've given whether it sounds like it's in the right ballpark. I'll tweak it as I go still.

Where did you get the 2100 from? You can use one of the TDEE calculators online if you'd rather spread your exercise calories over the week. Or use your MFP cal goal and log exercise for a couple of weeks, and then just average out your calories yourself. With 25 lbs to lose you should set yourself up to lose no more than 1 lb per week. Pick a cal goal, log for a few weeks, and tweak from there based on your results.

The only way to know if you're doing it right is to keep accurate data, monitor your results, and adjust from there. Good luck!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Where did you get the 2100 from? You can use one of the TDEE calculators online if you'd rather spread your exercise calories over the week. Or use your MFP cal goal and log exercise for a couple of weeks, and then just average out your calories yourself. With 25 lbs to lose you should set yourself up to lose no more than 1 lb per week. Pick a cal goal, log for a few weeks, and tweak from there based on your results.

The only way to know if you're doing it right is to keep accurate data, monitor your results, and adjust from there. Good luck!

Exactly, 2600ish (possibly more depending on your body fat percentage) seems to be the cutting cals and that is 1lb per week...is 500 cals 50% of your daily exercise expenditure? Use an onloine TDEE calc for more accuracy, I have always done this.

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I know that MFP does things a little bit differently (it uses NEAT....) but I like to use TDEE. Here is a link to the TDEE on-line calculator that I use (it uses the most accurate formula):

https://tdeecalculator.net

Here are your numbers based on you being 30 years old (I guessed):

Basal Metabolic Rate 2,012 calories per day
    Sedentary 2,414 calories per day
    Light Exercise 2,766 calories per day
    Moderate Exercise 3,118 calories per day
    Heavy Exercise 3,470 calories per day
    Athlete 3,822 calories per day

Use this as a starting point. It might take a few weeks to get to YOUR exact numbers but I find that this on-line calculator is pretty accurate (again, in the context of "a starting point").

Does this help?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    2100 to maintain seems very low for your height and weight. im 5'6 1/2 ,43 y.o female and maintain on 1900 calories. I weigh 173lbs.so you being male,taller and heavier you should be able to maintain on a lot more,so to cut(say 250calories) you would have to eat 1850 which is less than what I maintain on. I agree with the advice of the others
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty hard core. I lift two days per week and am 6'2" and 207 lbs and I'm cutting (slowly) on about 2500 calories per day. I don't bother tracking calories burned during exercise but do track my major lifts and am always trying to make them go up.
  • Mudshovel666
    Mudshovel666 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm same weight and eating 2850 calories (-250g predicted weight loss per week) + eating exercise calories so normally 3000+ calories per day. I think I'd feel like dying eating 2100 calories. Seems strange the app gave such different recommendations. This is also my first week and I feel like I'm dropping some bloat, I don't yet know if I'll continually lose weight at this intake but I guess it's better to start high and reduce.